1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Can Foreigners obtain a South African Motorcycle License?

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by Schwrtz27, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Schwrtz27

Schwrtz27 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

I'm from Atlanta, Georgia and I just joined this forum a few days ago! There is a wealth of information and have been reading loads!

Anyhow, I'm wondering if it is possible to obtain a South African Driver's motorcycle license. I do not have a license here in Georgia yet, and I am leaving very soon to go down to south america and then to south africa.

If you could help me out on this that would be fantastic!

Also, if it is not possible, would it be possible to obtain a south african license with just a motorcycle learner's permit from here?

Thanks!
    Anthony
  2. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    A learners permit will not cut it in my view, I know a South African learners is not valid to go outside the country, but you might be able to get a licence here, we have a lot of foreign nationals will investigate :D
  3. Schwrtz27

Schwrtz27 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great! Thanks Welshman! I would like to know this anyhow, as I've researched all over the place and have yet to find an answer to that question. I've also received mixed answers.

I just signed up for a motorcycle safety driver's course here in Georgia which will enable me to get my license here in Georgia after a 2 days course (easy huh?) Anyhow, I'm going to do that instead, that way I'll be 100% sure that I can drive down there in South Africa!

Thanks again,
    Anthony
  4. Gruebane

Gruebane Pawn Star

Oddometer:
    Thats the better way of doing it ...as u then get an international drivers licence..far better than running around with this buaracracy.

Look us up when u here .. :freaky
  5. AfricaWim

AfricaWim Grumpy Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Agree, get your US license sorted before you start your trip. You WILL have to produce all your paperwork at least at every border crossing - even if you don't get pulled over or run into the many road blocks you will find on your way north. Doing it this way you are just creating an opportunity to be trapped in border/cop red tape. You just need one cop get confused over your weird paperwork to ruin your trip.
  6. I GS 1

I GS 1 I 90S I

Oddometer:
    I would be surprised if you cant. When I was over there last it was exposed on TV that the Minister of Transport had bought hers with no testing involved. lol
  7. AfricaWim

Oddometer:
    I also replied on your other post.
    I REALLY think you should do a whole lot more prep before you embark on this trip.

Riding here unprepared is never a good idea. Read some ride reports and see the prep those guys did - even local guys do lots of set up for only going to neighboring countries.

You need a whole lot of paperwork sorted for all the north African countries BEFORE you land here. You need riding experience (which I gather you don't have much of if you don't have a license.) and answer many other questions before you pack your bags??

Rather postpone, and have an enjoyable trip you can complete! Africa will still be here next year.

Just my unasked for dos pesos.
  8. AfricaWim

Oddometer:
    Hey, lol at your self you sheep sha... erm...Australian person (see what I did there :wink: ) :rofl

This is Africa, we make laws for other people to keep.:rolleyes
  9. Schwrtz27

Schwrtz27 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Africa Wim! Thanks so much for the advice. I've already made my way into South America again and will be taking a flight into Capetown on Sept 11 of this year.

I understand that there are lots of things i need to take care of first before I take off. I'll make sure that I have been well prepared before I take off. I"ll know the mechanics of the bike back and forth and know how to replace everything on the bike itself.

I have read so many trip reports I have no begun to lost track on where all of them are anymore, but I've made myself aware that the trip will cost more than initially expected and border crossings will require stellar paperwork.

But just because I don't have experience doesn't mean that I can't do it. I have a good bit of handy work experience with carbureted engines, loads of outdoor experience in all terrains, have slept on more surfaces that I care to admit, and almost completely ignorant of what awaits me in Africa. And that excites the hell out of me. Its the not knowing that makes this kind of trip enjoyable for me. Its figuring it out on my own, getting in tight spots and having to wait a week to figure it out that makes this experience worth it all.

Its the learning and solving issues on my own or with fellow riders that will leave me a better person after having done it :).

A little confidence mixed with ignorance goes a long way and I've got to start sometime!
  10. Johno33772

Johno33772 Johnny Africa

Oddometer:
    The best part about Africa is that it will chew you up & spit you out on your Ass in a heartbeat.
    If your bike is registered in SA , you probably don't need the "Carnet", and I would probably travel on your Dutch passport. I hold both US & SA citizenship & never produce my US Passport while in SA or further North.
    Theirs a thread on E-Dirt about getting a bike lic. in SA & it appears it takes a couple weeks to get an appointment & take the test. Just wait till you deal with the locals & their "African" way of doing business.:D
    Good luck
  11. Schwrtz27

Schwrtz27 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot regarding the carnet! I now have a US license and will only travel on my Dutch passport. I'm starting to use my dutch passport from my flight form Argentina to Buenos Aires on the 11 of September!!

I'm aware that Africa will kick my ass...which scares me.. But it still awaits, and I must do it.

I still need to confirm that from someone with 1st hand experience!
  12. slideways

slideways España

Oddometer:
    I lived in Cape Town for 2 years, had a great time and found the people very friendly. I never had any problems crossing borders and was never asked for my drivers license. Watch out for speed cameras , they are everywhere( if you buy a Garmin GPS when you get there it will warn you where the speed traps are). Make sure that if you are going to extend your tourist visa do so 30 days in advance of it expiring. Make sure that you have at least 2 full blank VISA pages in your passport, if not they will not let you in the country. (don't ask how I know this).
  13. Geotraveller

Geotraveller n00b

Oddometer:
    If you are regitered with AA see if you can get n international drivers lisence. That may help.
  14. Schwrtz27

Schwrtz27 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A friend just got me one as I am now in South America! She has my license and is in California. Thanks for the advice! :)