Can i sell my motorcycle registered in USA in Europe ?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by de_master, Sep 5, 2019.

1. de_master

de_master Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

I am planning to do a europe tour during spring next year after my visa expires in the US. I will be taking my motorcycle using Air Canada fly your bike program. After the europe tour , i will be going to my home country but cannot take the motorcycle due to exorbitant 110% custom import taxes . Is there a way i can see my motorcycle in Europe ? Any comments are welcome.
  2. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Well the American troops here bring their USA registered cars to the airbases
  3. de_master

de_master Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lol and they take it back too !
  4. Lewilewi

Oddometer:
    Are you sure returning your own bike back in to your own country incurs such high tax

Is there time limits to adhere too
  5. de_master

de_master Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes India is famous of it. They charge 100% to new motorcycle and 125% import tax for used vehicles. You cannot sell the motorcycle for two years after that.
  6. Lewilewi

Oddometer:
    So how do people tour through these countries on round the world tours and not incur all these taxes
  7. de_master

de_master Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Bad , temporary import doesn't incurr much taxes but permanent import attract 100% - 125%. I intentions were to permanently shift.
  8. Don T

Don T Bike Addict

Oddometer:
    It's called Carnet de Passages en Douane.
    dooby likes this.
  9. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I assume the bike was purchased outside India (probably USA since that’s where he says it is registered).
  10. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    So to be clear, your "home country" is India, right?
  11. de_master

de_master Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes ! The motorcycle is purchased in USA and my home country is India.
    Davidprej likes this.
  12. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    I see no issue selling the bike in Europe - but there are caveats.
    The bike can be only registered in Europe, if it complies to EU regulations and type certificate is available for it. If the US version is different from the EU one, one has to be able to prove, that it had been converted to EU standards. Also the bike has to comply with current EU smog regulations, and in case it is larger capacity than 125cc (which I think is) then it has to be ABS equipped.
    Or depending on the value of the bike it can be sold as is (e.g. a parts bucket) on a much lower price if it cannot be registered in the EU.
  13. de_master

de_master Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the info. As Tiger is fully imported motorcycle from UK , i think i would find no issue on EU regulations.
  14. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Having sold two US registered bikes in Europe...

If you sell it to an American - a military person or someone who is under the SOFA (Status Of Forces Agreement - not living room furniture) they can buy it, register it on base and do with it what they will. I sold one bike to a USAF SSgt stationed at Ramstein AB.

Another way is to sell it to a US citizen who can register it in his (or her) home state. My second bike went out this way.

Selling it to a European will be difficult and expensive - as was covered above.

Another possibility is to check with Stefan Knopf and leave it at his facility for sale. This wouldn't be free, as he will charge you to store it and asks a percentage of the sale if it is bought through his site - but could be significantly cheaper than other methods.

Dooby and Wheatwhacker (inmates here) might also be able to work something out, depending on where you end up (Heidelberg, Kinsale or Zagreb).

I've seen more than one bike on eBay with the pics taken in Stefan's back yard.
    dooby, szurszewski and de_master like this.
  15. de_master

de_master Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This information is helpful, but is there a way i can find American who is willing to buy or it is just sheer luck ?
  16. de_master

de_master Adventurer

Oddometer:
    dooby likes this.
  17. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Leaving your bike with a "agent" - (dooby, stefan*, wheatwhacker, etc.) won't necessarily get you an immediate sale. It may not even get you a sale. But it's probably the path of least resistance. If you know where you're going to end up and if there's a US Military installation in the area, you could try advertising it in a local online forum. The first bike I sold was through this method.

* Note that Stefan doesn't act as a true agent - he merely provides space on his site for your ad - he takes no actual part in the sale or title transfer. Can't speak for the other two.
    dooby likes this.
  18. dooby

dooby aka Frgich

Oddometer:
    Hi,

my thoughts:

- I would sell that Triumph in the states and use that money to buy something in Europe and sell it at the end of the trip

Reasons for my view:

- you will spend money to ship the bike to Europe and that brand is quite regular here so no extra money can be made because of that
    - selling Triumph to European citizen means importing it, that's paying customs, taxes, homologation, certificate of conformity, technical inspection, registration and some other stuff depending on the country where the bike will be imported. That amount to one hefty pile of money, and there is 0 chance anyone will be willing to do it if there won't be heavy price reduction on the sale price from your side.
    - selling to US person in Europe is possible as @MichaelJ mentioned he did it twice. But have on mind that he sold bikes well maintained, with quite a lot of km on the clock, so the price wasn't too high in the end. In my view this is the option that has the largest chance to happen if it happens at all.
    - For the price of flying/freighting into Europe (let's say roughly that would be 1200-1300 eur one way) you can sell your bike in the States and use that money and money that you would be spending for the freighting to buy an EU registered motorcycle
    - there is fresh thread on HUBB posted by a rider from NZ that decided to buy the bike in Germany so you can check his struggle here:

https://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/trip-paperwork/foreigner-buying-a-motorcycle-europe-99303

We as a company @lobagolamototours that is providing all kinds of services for overlanding travelers on 2 and 4 wheels, provide a space on our website for free for anyone that want's to sell their motorcycle/vehicle. We don't take any fee for this and everything is dealt between seller and buyer. Since we're launching new website in couple of weeks, all new adds in the last couple of months could not be uploaded but will be uploaded on the new website.

When the bikes are bought through us or from us then we take a fee as all the purchases are lease agreements between clients and our company.

We're always trying to help community members when they need to find the buyer or vice versa. Same goes when someone is in situation that he/she needs to scrap the bike, then we also help with the support on legal advisory, paperwork and contacts of the scrappers.

We don't scrap motorcycles or buy them for parts.

I hope the post explains our approach and what we can offer, but in case anyone needs more info, I'll try and reply asap.

BR
    Dooby
  19. dolomoto

dolomoto Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer:
    There are several Facebook communities for used vehicle sales. Search for "Kaiserslautern Military Community" and one of the groups should be "KMC vehicle sales" (or similar). You could do the same for the Stuttgart, Germany, Aviano Italy and Vicenza Italy areas...all have good sized US populations. How long it takes to sell is largely dependent on the price.
  20. de_master

de_master Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok , it makes more sense now to rent a motorcycle than to take one and going thru the hassle. Any pointers on reasonable priced motorcycle rentals for 45 - 60 days along with insurance ? The cheapest i saw was from eagle rider for triump tiger xcx for $3.5k without insurance. Any suggestions are welcome.