Can I still camp? 3.5 nights, Central Oregon...and RLS

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by pdedse, Aug 28, 2020.

1. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    Used to camp quite a bit. Whether hiking, driving or mc riding, I've always enjoyed the process of camping--looking for a good site, setting up tent, getting everything ready for dinner...I love the campfire time. Just "getting-away-from-modern-day-trappings" type of thing. Problems seem less, well...problematic.

But my Achilles heel for camping enjoyment has always been bedtime. I just do not sleep well tent camping. 3 hours of sleep is about what I hope for, but often it's just an hour or two, making it hard to do extended camping trips. You get older, you value sleep a bit more. Throw in the blessings of RLS, and you value sleep quite a bit.

Ah yes, Restless Leg Syndrome...if you have it, no need to explain...if you've never heard of it, that's a good thing. For someone who is already a light sleeper like me, it's rough. Combine RLS and a light sleeper with camping, and it makes for some long nights.

But I thought I'd give a mc camping trip another shot because I really wanted to explore eastern Oregon. Trip reports like this whet the appetite:

Alone in the Oregon Outback - 7 Days of Solo

So I updated several items: new tent, inflatable sleeping pad, new mini-stove and this last week was the time. I had between 3 and 5 nights, up to six riding days to go exploring.

What I wasn't sure about is where I'd actually go...Hell's Canyon area extreme east, south of Berns, extreme south center around Lakeview...or maybe just closer in the central area. I thought it best to just listen to my instinct, keeping in mind my 2007 KLR650 with 47k miles on it was aging...and so am I.

Day 1, Monday.

For several weeks I had been making purchases, laying things out. I've taken the KLR on long trips to Mexico and Guatemala before, so I know my general setup and it didn't take long to find a spot for everything. From Gresham headed towards Detroit Lake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got underway by 11:00, and my only real destination was to make it over the Sisters mountain area:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The luggage setup seemed solid, the bike was running great. Had put on a new front tire and did a number of maintenance items over the winter. New chain and sprocket were ready to go on but they still looked ok by the start of the trip so I left that for later. I've owned this '07 KLR since 2008--bought it second hand when it had 2,500 miles on it. Besides a broken fuse on a trip to Mexico, I've never had a single mechanical issue with the bike...nada. I like it's simplicity and I've been able to do all mechanical work on it, which is saying something as I'm a mechanical idiot at times.

I wanted to camp by one of the lakes off hiway 20, but I've never explored the area so I didn't know what to expect. At Suttle Lake:
    [​IMG]

I don't like pay spots for camping so I moved on. About 5 miles before the town of Sisters, saw several dirt roads and it was a question of just choosing one. It was about 5pm and since a lot of the gear was new to me, I knew I wanted to leave plenty of daylight to get used to setting things up.
    [​IMG]

I bought four of the Omeal's veggie dinner packets--no hot water needed, just pour water into main packet and heating packet steam cooks food packet. Are these like "meals ready to eat" military style? They were surprisingly good!
    [​IMG]

After dinner walk around:
    [​IMG]

A good start. I was poised to head into Bend to pick up a few things I was missing and stock up on water. Open fire ban was in effect, so no entertainment there. Got a message that my 64 year old brother had bad sore throat, fever of 102, bad headaches, difficulty breathing...oh no. And there I was lamenting aching RLS knees. Slept more than 4 hours, but couldn't help but wonder about my brother.
    N-Id-Jim, njmotophoto and eaglescan like this.
  2. Mrstig

Mrstig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did the oregon backcountry discovery route a couple weeks ago. In some ways its a good year for it. Not alot of smoke. One day we went from 105 degrees at lunch to a hailstorm just after dinner. Gotta love oregon.
    I take a small dose of ambien when bike camping. Its a safety thing, I need my sleep to ride well the next day.
  3. pdedse

Oddometer:
    So this is the area that I was most interested in and there have been plenty of ride reports, but I haven't ridden there. I've taken hiway 20 to Burns and then 95 down to McDermitt several times, but always going "someplace", promising myself to return with my KLR to explore. Well, after this trip, that's still a promise.[​IMG]

Left my first night camping area by 930 or 10am and headed into Bend. IHOP was open, and since my breakfast was at 6am I was hungry already and figured a brunch would hold me over to dinner. First time at a restaurant since the outbreak. Haven't even eaten one thing not prepared at home since March. Felt nervous. Did my brother let his guard down and contract covid? Was I letting mine down? They used the whole restaurant area and closest customers were about 20' away. Brave new world.

I don't care much for Bend...lots of people seem to like it for its proximity to the Casades and high desert area of OR I suppose, but it always seems to suck me in with its traffic and I get bogged down there. 2.5 hours later and I was on the road again. Still trying to determine just how far I would go...something about stretching the trip to explore Steens Mt area seemed just that--a stretch for what I was mentally--and physically--prepared for. I know I can repair a flat for front tire on the road, but darned if that back one wasn't hard to break bead the last time I changed it out--in my garage. Alone out in the middle of nowhere? Other mechanical issues? I'd be better off with another rider.

The day was warming up and the skies were kinda smokey. I asked gas station attendant and he mentioned northern CA fires and there was another out by Burns somewhere. That would be another consideration. Time to get moving. I had been to the Prineville Reservoir several years back and thought I'd revisit to take an afternoon swim. Missed a turn and started heading to Prineville itself. I don't have my phone mounted to bike and was just going on memory. But did get back on track and came across the Milican Valley OHV trail system. Oh my, that looked interesting. But loaded down, no permit...today wasn't the day. Little by little it was dawning on me that this trip was more exploratory than itinerary / goal driven.

Connected with hiway 27 and turned north to check out the Powder House Cove boat ramp area. I didn't remember the water being as low as it was...and didn't look all that inviting for a swim. I remembered Big Bend Campground was just beyond the dam and it was nice for a dip in the river to wash off a bit.

[​IMG]

Backtracked on 27 and headed south. Couldn't remember if I had been on that stretch or not before... I think so because I wasn't surprised when pavement turned to gravel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was getting late in the afternoon and still hadn't committed mentally to where I was heading. The hazy sky and smoke wasn't too bad, but it was there; difficult to determine if it was coming form Burns area or more from the south. I decided to make a short day of it before I hit hiway 20 to give myself one more evening to decide how far to take this trip. About 5 miles prior to 20 found an inviting road that led up to a slight ridge. Good view, away from 27 so that I wouldn't hear anything, out of sight. Time to set up camp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Haha...technology is crazy...I found my day 2 campsite area and can ID the tree in the photo above using satellite view:
    [​IMG]
    Now if I can just spot my reading glasses that fell somewhere in the sand.

Love the coyotes at night. Hard to say how close they were, but close enough to set off the midnght imaginations. Got a bit chilly, RLS acting up crazy, coyotes, still had phone service...my brother tested negative for the virus. Everybody was so sure he had it...all the symptoms. But he wasn't doing well either. Weird. I had heard many incidents of "false positives"...were there "false negatives" too?

How many times can the human body urinate in one night? I think I set a new record...:photog
  4. pdedse

Oddometer:
    I woke up day 3 thinking that SE Oregon was just going to have to wait. I felt like I needed to prepare better, the smokey skies kind of washed out colors and beautiful views. I thought heading north and concentrating on Central OR would be a a better way to continue with the trip. It was already Wednesday and I had to be back on Saturday latest so logistically it would be a stretch to go too much farther from home.

Breakfast time...coffee, granola and an apple.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a tarp for the tent, but forgot that I like to have another to just lay out and do things on outside of tent so that I'm not always sitting in the dirt. MC seat pad helped, but so did the wood slat.
    [​IMG]
    I was happy with the mini stove that came with two cooking pans and the jetpower gas fit inside the tins, very compact.

Looking at the map, I noticed a little lake in the mountains northwest of Burns, Delintment Lake. Had never heard of it. But it looked intriguing and would be nice to wash in after a hot ride. I was just 4-5 miles from hiway 20 which would take me towards Burns.
    [​IMG]

Wasn't sure if at Riley I'd be able to take Silver Creed Rd all the way to the Lake. Cel service wasn't good and my paper map showed it was possible, but I took the more obvious route at Hines about 20 some miles more beyond Riley. Wild horses:
    [​IMG]

I felt like I was finally finding a new area that would be fun to explore
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

By 2pm it was quite warm and I need a shade break. Somebody had to abandon a dream. It's eerie looking inside to see the kitchen, family room, stairs leading up to bedrooms. Makes you wonder what went wrong. Tried to step inside where the floor looked stable, but found the house was in fact being lived in...
    [​IMG]

There were two of them, both about a meter long and that's about how close I came to them before we noticed each other. They didn't startle too much but it's amazing how fast the adrenaline kicks in when meeting these guys.

Lots of forest riding and soon the asphalt gave way to forest roads so that was nice. The lake:
    [​IMG]

Felt good to rinse off. So far all three days once it got to be 430 or 5 it seemed like I was done so off to find a spot to set up the tent, so easy in the this neck of the woods.
    [​IMG]

Found the satellite view for this site as well:
    [​IMG]

I was missing the campfires, but all the forest areas had open fire bans going on.
    MotoSly, N-Id-Jim, Davidprej and 5 others like this.
  5. TALLGUY

TALLGUY Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Solo Trip, unsupported, free wild camping with lake bath, rattle snakes, coyotes etc. I say it looks like adventure! You still got it!

TG
    MotoSly and pdedse like this.
  6. pdedse

Oddometer:
    If I had done more 'net research I might have planned a "more better route", maybe something like this:
    [​IMG]

But frequently I need to feel things out first, experience it a bit, and then the research makes sense for the next time. I did a roundtrip OR to Illinois trip 4 years ago, but all motel/hotel/famiily stays so didn't have to think it through too much. Maybe that was the point of this little excursion...it's going to allow me to think about how I really want to do the next.

This, for example. If I'm gonna tent it, Imma gonna need to take something to sleep. When tired out, a next day's mental and physical challenge becomes more of an obstacle than it need be. What's "ambien" like? Any morning after side effects? I dislike medications, preferring to deal with things rather than take something...but perhaps I need to change my attitude to do something that I think I'd really enjoy.
    SwampyDeadHead likes this.
  7. Mrstig

Mrstig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thats similar to the route we took. Plus to the coast. It is doable on a bigger bike, but there are a few sandy sections and tougher sections you should be cautious of if you are alone. Some pretty country out toward Christmas valley.
    Ambien works great for me. No real side affects personally. Its not addictive or anything. Others with mental problems tend to have issues with it. Tylenol PM is over the counter and can help alot too. Its harmless. Sleeping on a pad makes me hurt, so its worth the drugs in that case.
    pdedse likes this.
  8. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input on Ambien... but sleeping on a pad hurts? Man, just the opposite for me, hard ground is way too much for me. I bought an inflatable 2" mattress. 8-9 breaths and it's ready to go. Still didn't help me sleep any better, but it made the waiting more tolerable.
    :lol2
  9. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Thoroughly enjoying the report. I thought my camping days were over. Reading your report, I totally sympathize and relate. Finally trying a hammock has been a game changer and I'm joking with my wife about setting one up in the house. Back, neck, shoulder, hip, restless leg... I sleep like a baby in one. Here in Appalachia, it's no problem finding trees, but out there I'd also be getting one of these.

fullsizeoutput_2ead.jpeg

https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/product/tensa-solo-hammock-stand/

Something to consider anyway. Again, It feels so good to get back out there again and actually sleep and get good rest.

Ride on!
    Mrstig and pdedse like this.
  10. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comment and suggestion. I've done a little bit of hammock camping and actually didn't fare too badly sleeping. I'm gonna play around with that idea--I've got a few hammocks from Costa Rica that I could test out in the back yard. And glad you are able to get back out there!
    Amphib likes this.
  11. Pavement Optional

Pavement Optional Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice write up. I did part of the Oregon BDR last month. Section 3 around Sisters is tough, there's tons of unmapped logging roads, hard to navigate. We did part of section 4 to Seneca, nice riding, but no water, we had to detour to Mitchell a couple times to fill up. I also had a hard time sleeping, no problem falling asleep but I'd wake up about 2 AM and stay awake. I bring a cot, when the ground is bumpy it's the best. Thinking of trying a hammock.
  12. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Day 3... I get excited as soon as the first rays of daylight peak above the tree tops, sleep is so overrated! I have a feeling that today is a going to be a good riding day, and so I hop right on the stove to heat water for coffee and I can't eat breakfast fast enough to get going. I think having decided on a route lets my mind rest and I can let go of what I'm not doing this time round.

The morning routine of breakfast, cleanup, breaking camp becomes more efficient, but still it's already 8 as I'm checking and rechecking routes.
    [​IMG]

My paper map basically shows the above, I've added the red line for clarity. Paulina will take me all too quickly back towards Prineville, and that would put me in familiar territory w/out really having done much new. Rather, I was hoping to head towards Dayville. Something was telling me that route north would be good. Cell service would likely let me see all what was out there, pinpoint exact turns and tell me what to do and when. Not gonna say that ain't convenient, because it is. Yet, some of the mystery is lost. Paper maps...there's just a few lines of different colors to get you headed in the right direction, yet so many roads don't appear. You've got some elevation of peaks, names of many towns, yet you know there's so much more there. I think that's why I didn't heavily reseach this trip--you lose out on some of the mystery of what's out there. I mean, I love the internet. How to videos--they've saved me mega $$$ working on my bikes and house. But travel...youtube, google, way points, plug it all into your phone and you're set! Yet...IDK...I think my age must be showing. Who am I kidding, I love online maps as well. Zoom in see the details, zoom out see the big picture. Always know where you're going. It's cool...yet...at this point I had a paper map.

Enough! Time to hit the road, and just as I'm about to pull out on a forest service road where I had not heard a single car all morning, a big Winnebago and another vehicle pass by, leaving thick, yummie, chocking dust in the air. We leap frog each other a few times as I pass them and then stop to check my paper map, they pass me, repeat--but soon I'm sure of my whereabouts and I leave them behind for good. About 10-12 miles and the gravel reverts back to asphalt.

[​IMG]

Forest Service #41 turns into Weberg Rd which takes me to an area called Suplee--I see that on google maps as I sit at home. Then this Ts into Paulina Suplee (left) and Izee Ranch (right). My thumb on map tells me there is a road with no name about 12-15 miles east that will head north towards Dayville. That's what I want. Just after turnoff onto Izee Ranch:
    [​IMG]

Big ranch area, entrances to these are few and far between
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The goats were right smack in the middle of the road, so I stopped to give them room to cross at their leisure.
    [​IMG]

And right at the bend in the above photo, there was a dirt/rock road to the left that looked promising. Should be it according to my thumb on map.
  13. pdedse

Oddometer:
    I turned on to the dirt road and the way north looked like a valley that would go for awhile. But there was also a ranch to the immeditate right of the goats and it looked like somebody must be out and about so why not verify with a real live person! I pull in and see two houses, the first a bit oudated and kind of "artsy" looking, as if they sell touristy things? Not sure because I was distracted by about 15 dogs bounding around, excited by my presence, barking up a storm...but all neatly tucked in behind some very good fencing. Nobody responds to knocks at first house, so I amble over to the more modern looking second house, more dogs behind fences, chickens running everywhere, toys strewn about, yet a very tidy overall look to the place.

A gentleman my age answered the door, didn't seem too surprised by a visitor and he quickly confirmed that the "South Fork" would indeed take me to Dayville. I asked him about the road, anything to consider and he said no problem, just "follow the water" at any turns, as it all flows downhill towards Dayville. Cool, easy sounding enough. Then he added "it's only the Harley riders that keep going straight on the pavement"...Doi. Now I'm sure that's not entirely true.

He didn't seem too much in a hurry so I complimented him on his property and asked if his work was ranching and he said it was. He volunteered that his great-great (or was it 3 "greats"?) grand dad bought the property back in 1861 and they've been ranching ever since! How cool is that. He kept talking, and it was a very pleasant conversation. We talked how dry it was, forest fires, he explained why trees produce sap and they explode when the fires get hot, found out it's his daughter that is experimenting with the sheep, his son-in-law is in the Coast Guard, we talked law enforcement in general, that led to Portland and the protests going on, which led to the fact that "out here" people are good with their aim out to 1000 yards (!), next was upcoming elections, what I did for a living, retirement options, taxes...every so often he'd apologize and say that he ought to let me get going on my way and I'd reassure him I was in no hurry. I think 3 days on the road and I was ready to talk with someone too. After about 40 minutes of that I guess it was time to get going and then another 5 minutes to give me more info on the road.

And so I was thankful that I only had a paper map : ) The stop for simple directions was one of the hilights of the trip. But it was getting on to 1030 or later and it was time to get going. Thanks Mr. Rancher!

So I made the turn and right away, it was good, felt like stopping every bend in the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the forest service roads I had been on were heavy with gravel and you had to watch out on the edges or it would get thick real quick. But this road was making me happy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The South Fork stream
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would be on this road for 30 miles and one car would pass me. Just follow the water downhill...

[​IMG]

There were several shoot-offs that I will have to come back and explore, but the main road was fairly obvious.
  14. pdedse

Oddometer:
    30 miles of this...easily the best ridiing of the trip. A few ranch homes out here...I'd love to know their stories. I find the idea of living "out there" fascinating, but I suppose you better get along with your family.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will have to make time to visit next time:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The canyon was starting to open up a bit
    [​IMG]

The S Fork stream provides lots of irrigation water
    [​IMG]

And then the pavement returns to let you know you're approaching Dayville. I had ramen noodles for lunch at a small gas station with one outdoor table and chair to enjoy the afternoon. Gas station Lady told me an aquaintance spoke of having just seent a 500lb bear in that stretch a few days before. Never really sure what to make of info like that. Wow, I was lucky? Too bad I missed it? I saw some squirrels? But I'm glad to know there are bear there. By 1:00pm I was rested up and ready to take on some more heat.
    Amphib likes this.
  15. pdedse

Oddometer:
    So three nights of camping, had 1 more packet of Omeals veggie packet, just enough for one more round of coffee and enough emergency food if I had to spend a 5th night. The blue below is hiway 26 and that would be quite a bit of traffic, but north there were a few roads I hadn't been on. I had been to Fossil before but not Antelope on 218 so that seemed to be a good destination that would get me closer to home so that Friday I'd have an easy day of it going through the Mt. Hood area. So from Dayville it was off towards Kimberly and Spray.

[​IMG]

I think it's called Cathedral Rock just north of the John Day Fossil Beds Natl. Monument, which was covid closed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was nice and toasty but I still had my First Gear 4 season TPG jacket with liner on. As long as I was moving it wasn't that hot, but I should have taken the liner out. But then I'd have to put it back in....meh, just keep going.

Made it Spray and decided to check out their Riverfront park. There was a campground and beach access to the John Day River that looked inviting. A retired looking fellow pulled up in his 4 wheeler and we started chatting. Been living in Spray about 5 years, loved it, glad to be away from the big city problems. I should consider Spray he said when I retired. "OK!" I replied. He was telling me about camping possibilities because I told him I wasn't staying in Spray for the night. He said not to miss the spot at mile post 86. So I took him up on his "offer" and found it. It was about 3 and I wanted to take a dip in the river to let some of the afternoon heat slip away. Doing so meant another night of little sleep, but oh well, why hurry home at this point just to get there late. Better to take my time and do what I said I wanted to do.

Milepost 86
    [​IMG]

Had to keep my 3 year-old-will-they-ever-die-Asic-sneakers on because of the rocks, but they were in need of a good washing as well as me.
    [​IMG]

https://i.imgur.com/F1GxkjZ.mp4

Very nice break. Feels good to be clean again. Two huge pickups arrived right in the middle of my dip. Bundles of kids with happy parents with gear came bounding out. Looks like they were up for some good clean fun. Apparently my Spray buddy had been telling others about mile post 86. They were going to be there a while, friendly folks but it was too early to camp any way. Getting the mc gear back on is a chore, but still, refreshing break.
    AZ Mark, SwampyDeadHead and Amphib like this.
  16. Cormanus

Cormanus n00b

Oddometer:
    pdedse, how is your brother? I've been worrying about him.
  17. pdedse

Oddometer:
    Thanks for asking Cormanus, I see you visit here from time to time (we know of each other from a forum dedicated to Honda CB1100).

So after the second night I was out of range for cell service and I didn't get any more news for a day, maybe a day and a half. So strange. When I got back in range--back in Dayville--there were all sorts of texts from my siblings (I got 6 more besides my brother). So covid nearly claims another who doesn't even have covid! To explain...

Last I had heard prior to Dayville was that he tested negative for covid, despite having many of the symptoms, high fever, headaches, body aches and difficulty breathing. I think once we heard "negative" we just assumed a bad case of the flu. Except he wasn't getting better. I'll back up a bit...brother is a bachelor, lives alone. Only one other brother in town. Once we suspected covid, naturally everybody stayed clear of him while he was waiting results of test. And meanwhile, hospital / docs really don't want him to come in until they get the tests back. That's fine and all...but what if he's bad off and it's not covid? Now you're waiting for test results, getting worse over the course of 3 days, time which could have been used to check him out under normal circumstances.

He gets to the point that he's really struggling to breathe. One of my sisters is a registered RN; she's our point person for talking with him while he's still at home; she hears his voice, he's still got back headaches, temp came down from 103 to 101, but he's talking and it's not all making sense. He goes to doc for other testing, arrives at hospital, then the appt gets cancelled! At this point my sister demands that he go immediately to emergency, and after much coaxing...he does. And good thing, as his lungs were filling with fluid. Over the next two days he goes from bad to worse, and they do numerous blood tests and 3 more covid tests, CT scan...everything negative. Finally, they determine it must be a bacterial pneumonia and once they were pretty sure of that they switched from general antibiotics to more specific ones, hooked him to a ventilator and he's been on one now for 3 days I believe? But docs now say he's stabalized, not quite ready to come off ventilator, but maybe close at which point they start therapy for his infected lungs. They think they have things under control now. He's mostly out of it, sedated. Docs say he will still have a few rough days, but he is apparently getting better.

I share the details because I think this type of thing--covid is assumed, wait for test results, oops! it's not covid, lost time, now we have a problem--could happen to others. Something to be aware of.

I left for this trip with a more aggressive riding experience in mind. I knew he was a bit under the weather even before I left, but I didn't know how bad. Once I started getting texts, it dampened things for me a bit. It just didn't feel right to push things while he wasn't well.
    eaglescan likes this.
  18. Cormanus

Cormanus n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks pdedse. We do indeed know one another from the CB1100 forum.

My young grandson—step grandson, really—lives in Scotland and early on in this pandemic was getting sicker and sicker with many of the symptoms of COVID. He also tested negative and was started on an inhaler. He hated the taste and flat out refused to take it. He was just under 4 at the time and no amount of cajoling would change his mind. He deteriorated and was eventually admitted to hospital. I was pretty sure he was one of the few young ones to have COVID. He was tested again. Meanwhile—and luckily, I think—the ICU doctor decided he was just not quite sick enough to be taken to ICU and ventilated and when the second and third COVID tests came back negative he was diagnosed with mycoplasma pneumonia. Medication then sorted him out quickly.

Because of the similarity of its symptoms to so many other things, checking for COVID has really distorted treatment responses. I suspect it's also distorted the way many of us now feel obliged to respond to not feeling well. It's sure changed the world in ways we didn't imagine a year ago.

I'm glad your brother has escaped COVID and hope he recovers quickly. Pneumonia is nasty but can be treated.

I'm enjoying your trip.
    pdedse likes this.
  19. pdedse

Oddometer:
    To continue with the story, after the mid-stream bath, I kept on hiway 19 towards Fossil, where I had a decision to make. I could go blue on map below as I mentioned before, heading for Antelope, or I could go red and head north for Condon and then up to the red circle which was Cottonwood Canyon State Park. I was pretty sure I could camp somewhere around there, but I was less sure about the Antelope area because it wasn't marked as anything special, so probably private land. But, I reasoned, I could keep going to Maupin and then daylight permitting I could easily find somewhere within the blue circle, which is part of Mt. Hood NF. It might have been nicer to go the red route...

[​IMG]

On the way to Fossil
    [​IMG]

Decided to go with the original plan, on the way to Antelope! Skies were clear, but a bit hazy-blue at times. I didn't think the CA forest fire smoke would have drifted this far north.
    [​IMG]

Cool rock formations at the John Day National Monument on hiway 218 right before Clarno, which isn't even a town, just an intersection.
    [​IMG]

Crossed the John Day River one last time
    [​IMG]

It was getting a little late in the day, maybe 5:30 or 6pm? All along 218 between Fossil and Antelope there were "no trespassing / $5,000 fines" signs that were backed up by well maintained fencing. Looked like I wasn't going to find a spot right away. So I would head over to Maupin as the map showed some promise there.

Somewhere after the river above and before Antelope, I came over a rise and saw more than haze...in fact, it was quite the smoke cloud. With each passing mile it would grow in size...and in smell...and even in taste. Soon it was this:
    [​IMG]

Well shoot. This day was turning into quite the ride: started in the cool mountains near the lake, found a cool canyon ride, took a fun afternoon dip in the cool JD River, made plans to camp in the cool of the night one more time...and now this...not cool.

Surely Maupin would be off to the right where there was some clear sky. I would have bet on it looking at my trusty paper map (no cell service again.)
    NSFW and Amphib like this.
  20. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice write up; really enjoying it. I used to live near the OR/WA border, still have friends there, and need to visit soon with my bike!