Can some kind folks please help a complete beginner to gps out? :)

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by New2Moto, May 2, 2014.

1. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Most likely a college student that's been trained a whopping 5 minutes and is more interested in that hottie that is hanging off her boyfriends arm checking out the car stereo stuff?

You've already found the best source of info right here - ADVRider. :clap
  2. New2Moto

New2Moto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know this is an amazing place! Especially for newbs like me! Without adv rider I would probably be riding a different bike and might not have enjoyed the first bike experience as much..partially in thanks to yall I know this hobby will not be a passing fancy!

For other info it was great and easy...for some reason gps research is a little more difficult for me...for one reason until recently I wasnt quite sure what I wanted or needed...now I feel like if I get a unit that can import gpx routes from the laying tracks threads and that has the sturdier charge cord hook up ill be happy... the tracking my own routes when exploring I can accomplish using my spot messenger

Thanks again!
  3. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I'm a paved-road only user, my requirements will be different than yours for sure. There are quite a few folks that hang around in the GPS section here that can/do give great advice. I was a long-time Garmin Nuvi 1490T user that converted over to smartphone just a couple months ago. I can only see 1 advantage to staying with a dedicated GPS unit (like the Garmin), and that's the ability to easily manipulate the touchscreen while remaining at a good speed. Granted, this has become a moot point if you choose to use a tablet (as long as the screen allows gloved inputs).
  4. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    All the hand helds do the same things the difference is the physical package ie 12V pwr vs usb pwr, buttons vs touch, screen size etc.

Sounds like you want to download, follow, record, upload Tracks hand held is it for small bike.

If you want fancy Routing features step up another $200 for street unit.
  5. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    You are right about what I want, I didn't realize those features are basic are included in most street gps units :shog

That makes everything a whole lot easier lol I was always more interested in that style instead of a hand held trail model or w/e

Now I just have to find one with the sturdier 12v and buy a water resistant case to protect :D
  6. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:

I represent that remark. I worked at Best Buy for 6 months. I was an old fart systems analyst out of a job. Not your typical blue shirt. Some are as you describe. One of the hardest jobs I've had at $10 per hour. Retail sucks. Fortunately I found a job in my field. They have my sympathy.
  7. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    get a cheap android phone that is waterproof. run it airplane mode and the battery will last until your tired of riding, then charge it.

" mounting solutions" is covered with that wonderful invention known as Velcro, and you don't have to open the touratech catalog once.

or, do what a million others have tried and hack tracks into the lowest cost after units.

either way it's just a map, your head will get you into and out of much more fun situations
  8. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    I do like wandering around but I also want to take some longer DS rides that others have plotted. :D

I wouldn't want to get a second phone and second data plan to run gps.. Now that I know the features I am looking for are pretty basic I think I will just buy a street model new for a couple hundred bucks, I have seen some water resistant universal cases for pretty cheap on Amazon. I already have a ram mount on since I have been using my galaxy3 for in town nav. but the battery drains like a siv with bluetooth to headset, pandora and gps nav

then my local shop has the stuff i need to hook a power adapter to the battery

I wonder if I get one from a local retail place if there will be a 30 day return policy so I can give it a try before committing?

Thanks as always for the advice though :D

Some of those apps u recommended have been useful but I have trouble with em a little bit as well.

for the time being, is there an app that imports gpx files that I make on google or that have been loaded on here and will route me or at least give me the map on my phone and show me where i am on it?

Thanks again!
  9. doggitter

doggitter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, ViewRanger is one. PC and mobile based. Work your magic at the puter desk and it will load to your phone app. Also works without cell service, which is another subject you'll need to address if longer, out of the way trips are coming. You'll need to save maps to your phone(not hard) since the current mapping is cell service based. ViewRanger has some pretty nifty features for sharing and buddy locating within cell range too.
  10. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    Thanks a bunch dog! Will check it out :)
  11. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    nononono, no data plan is needed. we're talking about a second hand phone for $50 or less. they do not need cellular service to use maps/gps. the only reason to purchase another phone is the waterproofing. I've done the waterproof enclOsure thing, it's less than optimal.

all the apps I listed here and a few other threads do what you want.
  12. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    ah i see.. ya I think since I have the budget I would prefer a gps unit instead of a second hand phone..I couldn't really tell you why lol..but that is a great tip to know! Much appreciated :freaky
  13. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    The two I would suggest are the 78S if your budget is tight, or the Montana if you want the best handheld you can get, at the moment.
  14. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    Predicate the tips but I am not looking for a handheld at the moment...just a street unit that will route to loaded gpx files :)
  15. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Consider you have a little dirt bike and what unit most owners of these bikes use.

Learn about the BIG difference between Routes and Tracks. In general street units are great for Routing but poor for following Tracks which hand-helds are intended to do. If you intend to use Tracks, very few (if any) street units have full Track features.
  16. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    Thanks a bunch :D As I mentioned above most of my riding is on roads and legal dirt roads. maybe something like 85% of what I ride on can be found on google. So I am much more interested in Routing at this point rather than tracks. Did I get mixed up with the whole gpx file thing, is that for tracks, routes or both?

Thanks again for all the info y'all!
  17. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    Tracks are just a bunch of Points that show up on your map. No matter what map or app you use they are just points. Think of them like a small pencil circle of something/place on a paper map.

A route just just way way between the points. Different apps interpret the points in different ways. Most of them you will have to tweak a bit to get something that YOU like, the way you ride and where you want to ride.

GPX for now is the defacto file transfer standard between maps/devices. Something of a universal language that all 'should' read and understand.

Much of this stuff is changing very quickly so what I put down may or may not be true next week, or I could be completely wrong.
  18. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    Thanks for clarifying...that's sorta what I thought but wasn't sure

My galaxy S3 just died on me so I am going to get an S5 today...gonna download those apps again and see if I can get a better hang of em for the mean time until I figure out what to do lol
  19. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    TRacks are like a breadcrumble trail, you just follow ther line on the screen, if you encounter a obstical you will have to find your ouwn way around it , this is the preffered way for off-road riding as you normaly DON't WANT to go the fastes or short route

Routes is like telling the GPS : getme from point A to point B , the GPS will make the turns at it's own will, sometimes it's like you want sometimes it's not . This is useualy knowned as TBT (tun-by-turn) navigation

Most Street GPS's will not do tracks.

If you allready use the phone on the bike as a GPS for on street , and haven't kill it yet , then just get a good power adaptor and go for tracks also
  20. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    gpx is just a file format just like .doc for Word or .xls for Excel or .jpg for photos

A gpx file contains GPS data like Waypoints, Tracks, and Routes. It is used to share GPS data between computers and between computer and new generation GPS units.

Routing (Routes) is very handy for long road trips or getting to unknown address in strange city. Tracks are great to follow the exact trip that someone else recorded or to explore some obscure road that you not sure about with a hand drawn track that may or may not work.

Sounds like cheap street GPS would work for you use but if you intend to ride in national forest with their various quality roads which may not be on your "routable" map set you may find you still need to use Tracks so I would only get a street unit that has Track features.