Can some kind folks please help a complete beginner to gps out? :)

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by New2Moto, May 2, 2014.

1. New2Moto

New2Moto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks as always everyone...y'all are a huge help!

Are there any street units with track features u can recommend for under $400ish? that seems to be perfect for my needs :)
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look at Montana, it is sort of cross-over. Large touch screen, full track features.
  3. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I tried the iphone for awhile and although the OS is better than a Garmin it's a less robust system overall. I decided I wanted to splurge and get my first gps several years ago.

After much research, I followed the advice of the guys who use gps professionally, either by leading tour groups or doing serious travel.
    They all recommended the Montana. I bought a Montana 650, in hindsight I could have saved $50 and bought the Montana 600 since I never use the gps camera.

it's the mount that makes the big difference. Go look at the Montana Rugged mount and compare that to a USB power jack.

You should be able to get a new Montana 600 and the Rugged Mount, and the ram arms for pretty close to your budget. You'll have to buy the CNNA map on CD for another $100 but you'll have a gps that does what you want and more. I use mine in the car, hiking and on the bike. I create tracks of my rides and I can create new routes on the fly of areas I never would have found with a map.

Is it perfect, no but as others have said it's the best all around unit out right now. I am willing to bet that if you get a Nuvi or buy software and a case for a phone, at some point you will wish you had a Montana. I've seen others use their phones so maybe that's all you'll need. Try that first since it's cheap or jump in with something that will last you several years.
  4. 5 Hour Butt

5 Hour Butt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Garmin zumo 660LM which is the one they make that is specifically for motorcycles and it is waterproof and weather proof and sun proof which is truly excellent for a motorcycle GPS!

Also it comes with lifetime map updates at no cost included and that will save you lots of money over the years.

One other nice thing is when I turn mine on it is ready to navigate in less than 15 seconds! It also has a lot of settings you can go through to have it configured the way you want it to be. I have mine set to show high detail and also to keep North up and show my bike icon going in the direction I'm actually going. It is also really nice to use as my speedometer since it is much more accurate than the one on my R1200GS. The other nice thing is it has a part of the display at the bottom of the screen that shows the direction you're moving and also has a speed zone sign on the bottom right side that is shown from the map data it has.
  5. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    Isn't that one like $800 though? It sounds great :)
  6. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    In case you missed it, Cabella's has the Montana camo 600 for $350!
    You're not going to find anything better for that price and it's Camo!
  7. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I totally forgot this Friday is the day to buy! Time to kick research a decision making into over drive!
  8. doggitter

doggitter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bikebandit has zumo on sale now for 480ish.
  9. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    if you search the foRum, youll find that it is a copy/paste response to LOTS of topics on this forum.

and worthless
  10. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just don't drop it in the woods and have it land backside up :wink:
  11. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    What, my comment or his about the Zumo cause I was looking around for cyber monday deals and found a Garmin - zumo 660LM 4.3" GPS With Built-In Bluetooth and Lifetime Map Updates apparently on sale for $473... little bit above my budget but I already have a ram mount and it says it is water resistant and has some cool moto features etc....

Thoughts?
  12. ohgood

Oddometer:
    post#44 is the c/p,
    I wasn't referring to yours :-)

there is a similar cp occasionally for the 590 I believe
  13. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    did u say those units are not that great ? they are just older models of the current zumo?
  14. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Many people worry about the robustness of the usb when using a smartphone for navigation. Take this out of the equation by going for wireless charging.

The usb port on my S3 is all but dead (not from using the phone on the bike) so I bought a wireless charging kit for about £10. It works well.

Obviously the S3 isn't waterpoof but the S4 active is, so are the Motorola Defy (cheap) and Sony Z2 probably a load of others too.

I actually plan on buying a cheap waterproof phone, and only using it for GPS/music. That way I've got a back up phone should my main be lost or stolen, or a back up GPS i.e. my main phone should the cheap one be lost or stolen.
  15. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe that if you read the warranty for those "waterproof" phones you'll find that water damage is not covered. :hmmmmm
  16. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    Ya the s4 and s5 active are just water resistant and not submersible ... I'm pretty sure...don't wanna test it hahs
  17. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've owned a motorola defy, and can tell you that it is properly waterproof. I've even taken video under water with it, and purposely put it in pints of beer to confuse people.

Can't remember the last time warranty was useful for anything. In Europe, it doesn't matter how long a warranty is, goods must be fit for purpose and last what is considered a reasonable amount of time. e.g. If you buy a washing machine and it only has a 1 year warranty and breaks down after 2 years, you're covered, as it's expected to last 3-5 years.
  18. ohgood

Oddometer:
  19. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    One problem is getting hold of decent maps.

Many are in garmin's format so won't work on other apps/devices.

Very few are vector files, which means they large and slow to load.

And unlike road based maps where you have a particular country or continent, Topo maps seem to be on a tile by tile bases.
  20. ohgood

Oddometer:
    huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyYjZNTFFxs

maybe you meant convincing people to share gpx tracks, instead of proprietary maps/map formats, is Difficult. that I understand.