Can we start a mini/small van camper thread?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by derekdeadend, Oct 11, 2019.

1. derekdeadend

derekdeadend Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m sure we have a bunch of these sprinkled throughout the forum, but I just picked up my van l, 2019 ram promaster city. I did my first “mod”. Horse stall mat. I also got a quick up cab curtain thing. I want to keep it simple because this little van is my daily as well. A temporary/removable conversion is the goal.

IMG_4114.JPG
    IMG_4144.JPG
    Grainbelt likes this.
  2. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve seen one of these in the flesh. It’s ridiculously expensive for what it is. I think they’re playing on a plug & play demographic that doesn’t want to get their hands dirty. But it looks easy to formulate your own.

https://wayfarervans.com/wally-camper-kit/
  3. derekdeadend

derekdeadend Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I saw this. I do like the insulation option they went with. About 2k just for that part. Hard pass for me. It’s pretty cool but ungodly pricey for what it is. I wonder what the solution for venting is?
    local1 likes this.
  4. Nesquik

Nesquik Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Out of curiosity- what’s the benefit of doing a small/mini van?
  5. derekdeadend

derekdeadend Long timer

Oddometer:
    10k less buy in, 10 more mpg, plus it’s my daily driver. Don’t wanna drive a full sized promaster every day. It’s just for weekend warrior type trips. If I were living in the vehicle it would be a different story
  6. Nesquik

Nesquik Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ahh makes sense
    Hannda likes this.
  7. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    We took the rear seat out of my sons 2002 Honda CRV and put in a 3/4" plywood shelf. He goes away most weekends and sleeps in it for free. Takes snacks and drinks and buys his bigger daily meal out. He enjoys it a lot.
    joe a, MotoChris521, sieg and 2 others like this.
  8. chipper44

chipper44 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My future camper. 2001 E450 with 7.3l diesel 16 foot box. 850 bucks runs and drives great.

Attached Files:

Olaf, BIG-E, Shady Pass David and 6 others like this.
  9. derekdeadend

derekdeadend Long timer

Oddometer:
    So cool. Please post progress pictures
  10. sleazy rider

sleazy rider przemądrzały dupek

Oddometer:
    IMG_0358.JPG BeYMI9MSRI2a%kPC6goY3g.jpg OfFmsl01RJSORDQhb8gEIw.jpg I did a 2010 Transit Connect up because it's cheaper to drive (~24 MPG) and it's just me sleeping in it with two small dogs. We manage ok. Still tweaking storage and load out. All in? About $8000.
  11. derekdeadend

derekdeadend Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is what I’m talking about! Any additional photos or advice appreciated
  12. sleazy rider

Oddometer:
    I used lumber inside because I'm cheap. Knocked up a 25"x68"x20" box for the bed with 1x3 and 2x2 lumber. The end towards the front is hinged to allow access to the electric cooler. The dogs sleep in two small beds or laying across my legs. :lol3 All the indoor/outdoor carpet came from Lowes remnant cubby for about $40. I had enough to do the floor and wrap the bed with plenty left over for an outside rug. All the cooking gear/plates etc are in a Tupperware tote, food in a second tote and a Coleman thermoelectric cooler to keep drinking stuff chilled. On the road, there's a 12v cigarette port in the rear to power it. In camp, it's either off or hooked to campground power. A Home Depot bucket with lid serves as a trashcan with kitchen bags to line it.

The memory foam mattress came from Walmart's online. $70ish and a great sleep for me.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/GranRest-4-Tri-Folding-Memory-Foam-Mattress-Blue/945938226

The table is a vintage van/marine grade version. $60ish
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AZ89Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 6' bag awning came from Chicago thru http://www.rvawningsrus.com/ He includes the mount rail and it's a nice little set up. On my want list is the snap on add-a-room for evening sitting space away from bugs.

Solar is a Renogy 200w suitcase with a Deka 31M 105AH deep cycle battery in a marine grade box under the bed. 110v power is from a 750w Walmart inverter off that battery. It's also set up for campground 110v power via an RV power pass thru. The TV is a cheap 19" LED from Best Buy with a Firestick and magnetic OTA antenna that goes up on the roof when stopped. I found an inexpensive heavy duty swivel mount to hang it on the wall in the van.

I'll get some more pics later today. It's also got a Class 3 hitch that will handle a motorcycle carrier and my DR350.
  13. derekdeadend

derekdeadend Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely awesome. Your power setup seems pretty ideal for someone not living in the van. Do you charge the deep cycle off the alternator while driving as well? Love the temporary solar setup that folds up and stows
  14. sleazy rider

Oddometer:
    In the works. I'm buying the stuff now to do that. The battery isolator switch is here, but I need a bunch of 4 gauge wire and ends to do the connect the terminals thing.

I also have solar powered LED camp lights and LEDs in the overhead compartment lights.

We will do a week at a time or more in the van. :) Upcoming is a November trip from Michigan to Pompano Beach for a week. In total, I'll be on the road for a month with three weeks in the van - a week going south and two weeks vanning after the week in a Pompano AirBNB for Thanksgiving. All of it will be in campgrounds, but several will be rustic. All will be cheap like me.

Shakedown was two weeks ago going from Detroit to Milwaukee via the Upper Peninsula over a four day weekend. Weather sucked and I screwed up the awning when I moved it, so no outside shelter. Started to put the awning up and realized i put it back on upside down. :lol3 No 1/4" socket to remove the locking screws with me.

Eventually, I do want to acquire a Class A or C motorhome and be able to boondock with solar and onboard water.
  15. sleazy rider

Oddometer:
  16. sleazy rider

Oddometer:
    My traveling companions intently guarding the back yard from rogue deer and squirrels.

gV7ljQFnTo2g0FKJWdHlvQ.jpg
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  17. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    In the UK car business we called these vehicles "crampervanette'...….they are very popular......my daughter there owns a Mazda Bongo.....what with he cost of gas and all the small streets in town.
  18. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Great thread! I recently was gifted a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan with the notorious coolant leak. I'm about half way through the project and looking forward to being able to use this for mc camping and looking for ideas on how to set it up. I've seen several ideas on Youtube but looking to see what you guys have done.
  19. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Being as we spent more time OUTSIDE the camper I'd say an awning is a really good addition. It could be something as simple as a Costco EZ UP.
    I saw an interesting thing lately. A Toyota PU with a shell and on the shell a few 4" black plastic drain pipes all linked together and one with a fill cap. I assume it was his warm water shower!
    Baroquenride likes this.
  20. derekdeadend

derekdeadend Long timer

Oddometer: