Can we trust the Tiger computer?

Discussion in 'British Beasts: Triumph Tigers' started by Bamaboy, Jun 13, 2019 at 3:14 PM.

1. Bamaboy

Bamaboy High Plains Rider

Oddometer:
    I just bought the bike and about three hundred miles on the way home at a gas station the oil light comes on and it will not start. Okay, so the oil is low, I put oil in it but it does not register the new oil level. I shake it, try to push it off, look at it, turn the key off and on several times, yell at it and nothing. The computer refuses to recognize the oil. I call Triumph but they are closed on Mondays. I am stranded. Finally I push the kill switch off and on. That did it!!! It fires right up and I continue my trip after being stranded for only 35 minutes.

Even though it was a good thing that it would not start with low oil, what happened to just a light coming on? It shut down on me and would not let me go even after putting oil in.

Will this thing leave me stranded one day 30 miles out in the desert because it thinks it knows what is best for me?

How reliable are these computers on these bikes? Is there a manual somewhere besides the owners manual? Did you know that you had to turn the kill switch off and one when the oil was low and refilled? Can you bypass the computer to get the bike running?

Juts thinking out loud as I am new to the computer ran adventure bike. My last adventure bike was a 1994 Yamaha XT600 with carbs. Lol
  2. Emmett

Emmett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. MapleRoad

MapleRoad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It seems the ECU is sensitive to kill switch usage. I guess I should start using mine.
  4. Actionable Mango

Actionable Mango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Isn't it normal for the oil light to be on prior to starting? Dash lights often show error states prior to startup and do not settle in until a few seconds after starting. IIRC the oil light will always be on prior to starting because there's no pressure in the oil until after the bike starts. So I suspect that you have it backwards (the oil light is on because the engine hasn't started...not the engine cannot start because the oil light is on). Admittedly I might be thinking of my BMW and could be wrong about the Tiger.

If that's the case (it's normal to have oil light on prior to startup), then to me this doesn't sound like a computer issue. For decades ignition kill switches (emergency, clutch, side stand, and accident) have caused infinite numbers of problems starting motorcycles and infinite incorrect diagnosis. Much more likely a faulty switch, user error (forgot to pull in clutch), or a switch was slightly out of alignment and got fixed by toggling.
  5. Bamaboy

Oddometer:
  6. Actionable Mango

Actionable Mango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As far as I know the oil warning light is based on oil pump pressure. The computer doesn't know the oil pressure until the bike has started and the oil pump has pressurized the system. In other words, it's not really a "low oil" warning light, it's a "low oil pressure" warning light. So I don't think the bike has a way to measure oil prior to starting.

With your theory, the bike is somehow measuring the oil level prior to starting, and checks the oil level again after you cycle the kill switch? What is the mechanism for doing this? Is there some kind of float gauge in the motor? This would really surprise me. But admittedly I am new to Triumph and don't know much about the motor yet.
    Bamaboy likes this.
  7. Bamaboy

Oddometer:
    I have no idea. I just told what happened. The why is a mystery to me as well, I have had the bike only two weeks. You are correct about the pressure so I guess the kill switch starts things over. I just know that it worked.
  8. Bamaboy

Oddometer:
    Since it is pressure instead of measuring the oil level. How did it know the pressure was okay after the kill switch was utilized? I don't really give a flip how it did it, I am just glad that it started and the OP was to complain about computer control of our bikes.
  9. MapleRoad

Oddometer:
    Wait, aren't you the OP, @Bamaboy?

@Actionable Mango is questioning the original hypothesis, and I agree. The bike didn't know the oil level, and never does. It doesn't care about oil level, it cares about oil pressure. I'm not sure that the ECM will shut down the bike when the oil pressure light goes on, but the manual states very strongly to not ride with that light on. I doubt they would kill the engine for that, because it creates an unsafe condition for the rider, and liability for Triumph. If a rider gets injured because the bike killed ignition at freeway speeds (or a lawyer can allege this), Triumph wastes money on another lawsuit.

How low was the oil before you added any? How much did you add? What was the level after you finished adding oil?

The bike always has an oil pressure light on before the engine starts because there is no oil pressure. Oil is pressurized by the oil pump, which is driven by the motor. No RPMs, no oil pressure. If we know the bike cannot measure the oil level, and we also know that kill switchesn have been the cause of gremlins for decades, you should be looking at that little bundle of engineering.

That flipping the kill switch around fixed the problem puts the focus on the kill switch. Is it possible you bumped it?

A few weeks ago, I was riding along, and fiddling with something. Then the bike starts slowing. Throttle is unresponsive. I was in the middle of nowhere, but with friends, so it was bad but not BAD. The bike wouldn't restart. I was starting to get all worked up. After a minute that seemed like hours, I noticed that I had bumped the kill switch. Flip, start, signal, ride on. I was filled with relief.
    Bamaboy likes this.
  10. Bamaboy

Oddometer:
    I can't remember all the details. It wouldn't be the first time that I did something stupid though. I locked myself out of the house the other day.
    MapleRoad likes this.
  11. MapleRoad

Oddometer:
    Oh man, if that's stupid, I'm an idiot. :rofl