Can you convert an Australian Motorcycle license to South African License

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by giles_c, Dec 29, 2019.

1. giles_c

giles_c n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all

I am wondering if its possible to convert an Australian Motorcycle license to South African License without being in SA. I am in Oz and want to get it all sorted before I get there.

I have a full Australian car and motorcycle license
    I am an Australian permanent resident
    I was born in SA and I'm a South African citizen.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
  2. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Do you plan to go there for a short while or a long time if you are just going for a short time just get yourself a international drivers license it is valid for 1 year you can get it at a post office in UAS or look it up online.
    Drive with your AUS and International drivers permit and you will be OK.
    I am South African expat got pulled over a couple of times in South Africa for random checks some officers accepts the international drivers license, some wanted to see the UK licence even when presented with international drivers license.

By law South African drivers license is renewed every 5 years as far as I remember, and if you don't renew it it expires you can renew it post expiry but I heard some guys having to pay heavy fines unless they have changed the laws.
    You can apply to have it converted if you plan to stay permanently
    https://www.transport.gov.za/convert-foreign-driving-licence1
  3. giles_c

giles_c n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gedrog

I am not sure how long I will staying at this stage but it might be a long time or even permanently so just wanted to get it converted. I suppose anyone knows if you have to be in the country to do it or can I do it from Oz? Appreciate the comments mate.