Can you lock it on the bike?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by JBuzzard, Jul 20, 2002.

1. JBuzzard

JBuzzard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of getting the 176c but don't relish the idea of having another thing I need to worry about removing and securing every time I leave the bike to pee or eat or go look at some scenic thing.

Has anyone used or seen any time of lockable mount that would secure the GPS to the bike? I'm not expecting it to survive determined attacks with a crowbar but just the casual passing parking lot thief who decides to rip-off the wierd gameboy on the handlebar of the fugly bike he/she noticed parked over there...

-james
  2. mleir

mleir Evil Doer

Oddometer:
    With most mounting systems its real quick and easy to remove an GPS from the bike a store it away. Or you could do what I do (which is alot), Take off helmet (covered in bug crap), toss gloves in said helmet, place helmet over GPS unit so its not visible. Now no one is gonna go lifting your helmet looking for things, spec sense its dirty with bug crap. If its out of sight its outa mind. You just removed the "oportunity" criminal from the equation.
  3. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    The GPS176 isn't easy to lock on the bike but *IS* easy to take off quickly and stow in a locked pannier or in your take-away kit.

As a possible alternative, the GPS5 secures to the Touratech mount with a hidden, 2.5mm socket-head screw so that it's hard to get off, and that would seem to address your concern. If you don't require the larger screen, the 5 has many improved features and is worth a look.

mully
  4. JBuzzard

JBuzzard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmm - yep maybe the V would work - though I did want color and a larger screen 'cause when I've seen the V on bikes (admittedly while standing off to the side and not riding them) I have a hard time imagining being able to read the screen on the road or scroll around to look for interesting roads etc. (not while riding - in the tent at night planning the next days trip).

Maybe there's a market for a lockable mount? (Tourtech, are you listening? - can't believe it would be hard to add some tabs to the mount with holes to accept a small padlock to keep the top bar flipped down)

What do people do with their radar detectors, etc.? Must be the same problem.

Do you know if the V has the option to display input voltage like the 176?

Thanks,
    -james
  5. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    I have no problem reading the GPS3 while moving, same size as 5. Color's over-rated - they're the same maps.

What's the big deal? A determined thief isn't going to be deterred by that - they'd rip the whole mount. Or steal the bike and part it out at leisure.

First, they don't park in risky areas unless unavoidable; second, they take them off where the bike will be unattended any length of time.

Pretty sure it does.

mully
  6. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    Nope, It doesn't. Seems as though the III+ was the last to have the voltage window (in that style). I miss it!

You can get a voltage reading in the diagnostic mode.

Greg
  7. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    Hey, Gerg! :):
    If you go to the "Trip Computer" or Map Display window and hit "Menu", isn't there a "Change Fields" option? And if you hit that, doesn't it allow you to move from field to field? And if you press "Enter" with a field highlighted, doesn't it bring up a menu of other fields you can insert there - "Voltage" being one??

Curious `cause I'm thinking about upgrading to a 5.......

Best,
    mully