Canada Border Opening - 2021 (no CSM please)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AdamChandler, Mar 5, 2021.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,

Every year, I do some trip into Canada. I've seen every eastern province and have enjoyed my time in the great white north by car or motorcycle. Obviously, for the last 12 months we haven't been able to go.

Last year's Trans-Taiga trip was cancelled and now, with the possibilities of getting a vaccine this Spring looking better and better, I'm hoping we can travel to Canada this Summer with proof of vaccination & maybe a COVID-19 test.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid

As of today, DHS has extended border crossings by land until at least March 21st and I imagine they will continue to extend it.

Up here in NH, the Canadian tourism into VT/NH/ME is actually a lot of revenue and I would assume that revenue is in both sides of the border.

My Trans-Taiga trip is planned for late July.

I figured I'd create this thread for those who plan on crossing and as updates come in.
    Migolito likes this.
  2. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    The closure extension announcement seems to have become a pro forma ritual on the Canadian side. It happens on each 14th of the month since March of last year, IIRC.

As far as I can tell, Canada is lagging behind the US with vaccination, so I don't expect any change until after summer optimistically. I would love to be wrong in that assessment and see thing open sooner.

Maine's Susan Collins has been asking for easing of restrictions on the US side, but I suspect that even if rules were relaxed here, Canada would hold steady until life normalizes.

Even if we are allowed to cross, current rules call for each traveler to present a fresh (withing 72 hours) COVID test at the Canadian border and quarantine 14 days upon arrival. Returning Canadians are monitored by the government about observing the quarantine. A government services agency calls and in some cases knocks on doors to spot check your whereabouts. I don't think that land travelers are subject to the same hotel rules that air travelers face. Restrictions in Quebec are considerable and vary from region to region, with curfews and strict limits on gathering indoors with anyone other households, unless you live entirely alone.

Living in Maine and having two college-aged kids living in Canada, I have some experience with this at this point. I have both passports and have crossed maybe 4 times since restrictions were announced. The border itself is very quiet and at my usual crossing, the USA-side store that sells the last cheap gas before crossing has basically closed. I think you can still buy gas by credit card but the store is not staffed

None of the above is intended as a critique or to fan CSM flames. Just sharing my experience in case it helps others and sets some expectations for summer travel dreams, of which I have a few.
  3. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lots of variables to worry about. Canada's vaccination program has been underwhelming, with just under 4% of the population getting their first dose to date, compared to 15.48% of the US. Linked with virus variants, and the weak evidence (so far) of vaccination decreasing infectivity I'd be looking at fall leaf season.
    Dualsport4ever and AdamChandler like this.
  4. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm going to ask people in advance to NOT make this political or bring in your drama and childish anecdotes. This isn't directed at you but until you brought it up I didn't think anything you wrote was inflammatory but I'm just throwing it out there that I fully agree with you. Let's just keep this about the border opening and people can keep drama in CSM :)

-----

With that said, thank you both. Sounds like how it was with cruise ships. 1st week of the month, they'd update the guidance for the following month and it was the same every month.

I think for now we'll plan the trip and just not book or take time off work and wait until end of June to see how things look. I'm with you guys..50% confidence level it opens up in time for us. Maybe I do the TAT this year instead of next and just shuffle my ride plans.

Thanks both!!! Stay safe.
  5. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn’t plan on the border being open this summer.

This is the summer for Canadians to do the TT or TL, and Americans to do the TAT or BDRs. Hopefully we can swap next summer.
    bumper1871, levain, Dan Diego and 3 others like this.
  6. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Speculation, here, of course, because none of us has a crystal ball. But if the US will have enough doses by the end of May, I'd think it would take to mid-July or August to administer those, as people trickle in towards the end- those that changed their minds in favor of getting it; those that are in poorly served communities, etc. Add three to 4 weeks to actually have the immunity kick in, and we are looking at early autumn in the US. Canada is behind that time course. So if I HAD a crystal ball, I would say no one is going to be a tourist in Canada before the leaves turn and/or the snow flies.
    Just my estimate. Covid 'Passports' may change that, but I am rather skeptical those will happen, especially given how mutants are popping up in the poorly (and inconsistently) regulated US and other countries.
    Right now our guessing is about the UK, as my late in-law's estate needs settling, and we kind of need to be there. But without a 2 week quarantine at an approved hotel, for about $2500, that can't happen. We can't even stay in the empty house and get groceries delivered no-contact.
    I suspect Canada is going to react more like the UK than like the US.
  7. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I don't see it happening. Pretty strict around here still, and I don't see it ending soon. They are talking june-ish for vaccines. Even if you have a covid passport or whatever, Canadians are not gonna what you here possibly infecting others.

I'd be happy to be permitted to travel around Atlantic Canada. I'm not expecting anything more.
    Dan Diego, scottdc and AdamChandler like this.
  8. Highway Troll

Highway Troll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a friend who works for Canada border services, rumor floating around there is don't expect anything near normal until fall at the earliest.
  9. scottdc

scottdc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was hoping for earlier, like a lot of us, but fall sounds realistic and doesn't really come as a surprise. Can't blame them one bit though for being cautious.
  10. Possibly Certifiable

Possibly Certifiable Verified Bing-nut

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't expect to see international borders opened until after you see the interprovincial or territorial borders opened. There is still a patchwork of travel restrictions from province to province.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  11. MotoActionADV

MotoActionADV Level 16 wizard

Oddometer:
    What is the TT and TL? I did parts of TCAT last summer.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  12. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t see travel being normalized for most borders worldwide until 2022. And that’s from DHS.

Mexico is pretty much wide open, but Canada will likely remain like Central/South America for the foreseeable future.

Do you have any back-up travel plans?
  13. Possibly Certifiable

Possibly Certifiable Verified Bing-nut

Oddometer:
    TheRoss, powderzone, JeepDawg and 3 others like this.
  14. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. txplants

txplants Pastafarian

Oddometer:
    What about folks traveling through Canada to Alaska?
  16. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Not permitted yet...

Dan Diego likes this.
  17. scottdc

scottdc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No optional travel into or through Canada and no ETA on when this will change. You are only allowed to transit to/from Alaska if you are traveling for work or other non-optional reasons, and you must have proof. It must be by the shortest route and no sightseeing or anything, just going straight through.

I posted this in another thread but here's the official Canadian page with the details:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/border#transit-alaska-us

You will need to have proof your entry into Canada is not optional, such as:
    • proof of residence or employment in Alaska if going north
    • proof of residence or employment in the lower 48 states if going south
    txplants, AdamChandler and Dan Diego like this.
  18. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope.
  19. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    I beleive Americans can still travel to Alaska via the Alaska State Highway Ferry.
    scottdc likes this.
  20. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks @AdamChandler for starting this. I've had similar thoughts. I go to Canada every summer, and miss those iQuad trails!
    AdamChandler likes this.