Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Americas' started by AdamChandler, Mar 5, 2021.
Just head for a big one like Ontario or Quebec. Endless possibilities.
Whoohoo!!!! I might just get up into Canada this year after all. Unfortunately now I'm waiting for my fried stator to be replaced (recall) that may end up pushing past my vacation dates. And no going up with the family, as my two youngest kids are unvaccinated (too young).
I already downloaded the Canadian vaccine passport app ArriveCAN.
My goal is Newfoundland so have to go through a couple more to get there.
I’d like to get up there, too.
Just saw this CNN story. https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/19/worl...acolle, Quebec, Canada, on September 16, 2020.
Wondering how this will play out. https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...ravel-restrictions-through-august/8034057002/
To be fair, the closure has been non-existent on the southern border for US citizens and those Mexican nationals with work visas. But no tourist visas are being issued or allow to cross north into the USA.
From the Canadian perspective it must be hard not to feel double crossed. Many US politicians were getting increasingly vocal about Canada extending the closure. Meanwhile we, the US, are not reciprocating.
Here’s the CBC’s reporting on the same:
I’m looking forward to not having to do an in and out in a day when I bring my offspring back to school in Montreal in late August. I hope it all holds until then.
I must say this is very disappointing, I do not like to fly and driving to see my family is what I hope for as I have not seen them for 20 months now.
Getting excited! No sign of the August 9 opening being cancelled. Yet...
I just downloaded the ArriveCAN app and registered, but it looks like I’ll have to wait until I’m within 72 hours of my border crossing (Sept 3, approx noon) to upload my proof of vaccination. I’ll need a negative Covid test taken less than 72 hours before crossing the border. The local CVS offers a PCR test that will pass muster, and results are usually back after 1-2 days. So I’m looking at threading the needle, taking the test early enough that I’m assured of having the result by the time I hit the border, but not so early that I fall out of the 72 hour window. If I take the test at 4:30 pm on Tuesday I have until 4:30 pm Friday to cross the border. If I hit the road by 7:00 am I should have no problem at all
But you never know...
Looking forward to reading the experiences of others doing the same to see how smoothly things go for them.
I’m always stressed planning one of these rides. I just don’t need this Covid sh** on top of everything else. Friday Sept 3 about noon I should be riding away from the border in Quebec with a full 2-1/2 weeks of wandering in Quebec and Ontario ahead of me. Fingers crossed.
I am with you on this John. I am leaving NY on August 7th and will look for a test site in Great Falls Montana on Monday the 9th. As soon as the result gets to me, I will hit the border and take another test it sounds like once I cross if they let me. Adventure is what we wanted, right??
I heard news this AM on Radio Canada that Canada Customs and Border protection are possibly going on strike a few day prior to the border reopening. This could make things interesting.
Personally I wouldn't try and cross the border no matter what until access is equal on both sides. Sure, assuming you can get into Canada, strike not withstanding, and sure, you can't be blocked from returning to the US as it stands. But there is nothing that says it has to be easy or pleasant or even cheap. Just my $0.02 CDN adjusted for inflation.
That is kind of how I’m feeling. I don’t feel it is fair to be on vacation as a US Citizen when our government here is preventing Canadians from doing the same. If I do end up making a trip the girlfriend and I will be taking the travel trailer.
I agree border should be open both ways and don’t understand politics of not doing it. I also expect the Canadians whose livelihood depends on tourism will be glad to get every visitor they can before the season ends.
Packing up the bikes this week. Wifie and I will be in line for the BC border crossing on August 9th. We are going to try an Alaska run and see what happens. Packing the camping gear in case all the hotels are closed. Packing extra food (no fruit). Have the app, double jabs and can get a test pretty easy where we are.
Donhh . “”Packing extra food (no fruit)””
Lighten up on the packing of food. There are well stocked supermarkets and convenience stores and restaurants willing and able to serve your needs . Unless of course you happen to pass through one of the towns that suffered a forest fire. It is not as if the country was totally flattened in a force 10 earthquake.
If you are planning a cookout while camping add to that NOT PACKING any raw uncooked meat unless it is still in the store packaging and well labelled as to meeting USDA standards and DECLARE it at the border , or you might have to toss it in their dumpster for incineration .
Don’t count on a smooth and quick crossing:
“The border will remain open, since 90 per cent of border officers have been identified as essential workers. However, travellers can expect long lineups and delays at airports and border crossings, the unions say.”
Looks like the union and the Government reached an agreement
I've been told that if you plan to cross into Canada on or after August 9th, you'll need to download a new ArriveCAN app. The old app is for travelers crossing under the current rules pre Aug 9 and the new app will be for the new rules Aug 9 going forward.
Quote: "A new version of ArriveCAN will be released on August 9, 2021 at 12:01 a.m. EDT. Importantly, individuals travelling on or after August 9 should submit their information after this time. Travellers using the App must ensure they have the most up-to-date version available in the Google Play Store or the App Store for iPhone as of August 9th."
Source: ...... about half way down the page:
Confusing as shit, but that's government working for you...