Canada Border Opening - 2021 (no CSM please)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AdamChandler, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So is the general consensus here 2021 needs to be written off as a loss, with a focus on 2022?

Canadians can get into the US and have their bikes taken into the US via professional hauling companies just as many Canadians have done with their RVs to winter in the US...

Saw an article on how the Canadians take 12-minute charter flights into the US to link up with their RVs after transport firms rolled them over the border on their behalf...

Unfortunately, this loophole doesn't appear to exist for Americans wanting to get into Canada with their RV or two-wheeler...

So if 2022 is the consensus, will there be a deluge of Americans flowing into Canada and Alaska in Summer 2022, assuming the border is open by then? And if so, will we see areas in Canada and Alaska inundated with a colossal tidal wave of inmates and others?
    sonnystile likes this.
  2. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've pretty much came to the conclusion that I won't be going to Canada this year. I started a small thread about what I was doing here https://advrider.com/f/threads/what-would-you-do-possible-canada-trip.1496519/

I'm pretty sure there's a bigger risk of a Canadian coming to the US than vice versa. LOL.
    Cal likes this.
  4. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Should someone start a thread for 2022 Alaska trip planning?

Does anyone expect a tidal wave of inmates and other tourists flooding into Canada and Alaska in Summer 2022 assuming the border is open by then?

I can imagine accomodations will be nearly impossible to come by in such a scenario...
    scottdc and AdamChandler like this.
  5. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    I didn’t hear no bell

:)

Canada will still issue guidance every month so I’ll be waiting but not holding my breath
    scottdc likes this.
  6. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    There have been several agencies saying not to go several places BEFORE the pandemic, let alone now. Mexico is the main one that comes to mind but there are others.
    Vaccination Passports are moot for now from the USA but I wouldn't hold my breath on them either as they may become the norm for other countries and some of us feel that in spite of the live free mentality I lean towards they do show that I'm protecting others by having had the shots and having that passport to show. I'd get one if it opened the door to a place I desire to go to!
    It took us many hours to clear Canadian customs in Quebec 2019, long enough to test our patience as it basically ruined our day.
    How many people in their mid/late seventies deal drugs into Canada on confirmable fishing trips? :doh:baldy Bunch of fishing places would seem to be kaput with no gringos headed north?
    cmattina likes this.
  7. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Every time we’ve crossed the border with Canada (Quebec, Ontario, New Brunswick) it’s been very quick and seamless. Coming and going.

The only issue we ever had was with some produce (maybe granny smith apples?) that were on a naughty list. But I think that was returning to the US.
    JeepDawg and joe a like this.
  8. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    They can't assume just because of age or itinerary that you're doing what you say you're doing. If they always gave people passes who were in their 70s going to Canada for confirmable fishing trips, that's what all the drug mules would do to get them across.
  9. Davidc83

Davidc83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guess you never heard of Leo Sharp, an 87-year-old drug mule and WWII veteran who was arrested by the DEA with five duffel bags of cocaine in 2011. This is the guy Clint Eastwood played in the movie "Mule".....
  10. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seen them all (mostly) and read the 2 or 3 newspapers a day(what I can stomach that is). Yes I see old farts male and female, doctors, politicos and lawyers, bankers, accountants, on & on. Having worked in a prison and superintendent of a juvy program too your sort of preaching to the choir. But I get your point too. :D
    This old guys NOT! going to prison on a fishing trip crossing for sure. Our own customs people can get real nasty postured me heavily over an Irish apple I'd forgot I had in my backpack and what I'd been told (so I thought) was dried beef was dried pork and for that one I was braced against the wall in Detroit yelled in my face and paid a $300 fine. I'd bought it in N Italy in a German speaking area and couldn't read the label, etc.. But I was maybe only in my late 60's on that trip.
    Half a day was over the top-I stand by my opinion that it was overkill. About 22 years ago my school secretary, her gun dealer husband who owned a sporting goods store, guns & archery and there 4 young boys crossed on a similar fishing trip in their van. Their van was nearly disassembled as they sat around on the Canadian side for most of a day. Needless to say, she came back ticked off and saying she'd never go there again. I know this is anecdotal stuff but also not typical druggies neither of us.
  11. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    I've always found it much more difficult getting back into the US as a US citizen than to enter literally any of the dozens of other countries I've now been to. This is especially true of the Canadian border. I always feel welcomed into Canada, almost excited to let me in. Going back into the US, I feel like I should start pre-lubing with KY. :lol3
  12. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Nova Scotia just closed the open border to NB. Travellers coming into NS need to isolate for 14 days.

The borders in NL, NS and PEI remain open to each other, maintaining the 75% Atlantic Canada bubble.
    boulet_boulet and GravelRider like this.
  13. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    This definitely doesn't bode well for the border opening this summer. NEBDR here I come! Lol
    scottdc likes this.
  14. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keeping August / September open in case border opens. In addition looking at booking a cruise on ship that requires everyone to have a vaccine because planned ports are to countries that require it. One is Greek islands and Israel. Other from Iceland to Ireland, Norway, Amsterdam and Belgium.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  15. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I was lucky to visit Belgium every year since 2010, sometimes twice a year. Amazing country. I haven't been since May of 2019 now due to the pandemic. Can't wait to go back.
    Fuzzy74 likes this.
  16. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    According to the esteemed Dr. Fauci and the CDC, just because a person has been vaccinated doesn't mean they can stop wearing masks, stop social distancing, or eat indoors in restaurants, nor stop avoiding crowds. Makes me wonder what the point is, but what do I know?

In any event, the ever-changing rules and always-moving goalposts have made me very thankful that I did so much international traveling before the lockdowns. I am also thankful to live in the U.S.A., a large country that offers a very wide range of domestic travel opportunities. While I only logged one international trip in 2020 I did, however, post my record motorcycle mileage year due to the sheer number of trips and other riding I was able to get in with many like-minded friends. I haven't yet been to Alaska, but I am registered for the Alcan 5000 in August 2022. I am hopeful that normalcy will be restored by then, although I remain a bit pessimistic. One thing I do plan on, if and when the Canadian border is opened up, is to drop everything and ride to Alaska the minute it becomes possible. One never knows when they might be closed again due to some changing metric or political whim. Live life now!
    cmattina likes this.
  17. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Apparently you can get in if vaccinated. Worth checking if you want to go.
    HYLYNDYR and AdamChandler like this.
  18. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maggot12 likes this.
  19. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    GravelRider and AdamChandler like this.
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Yep, this time every month, they'll push it back by a month. If mid-June they confirm it's closed through August, I'll push Trans-Taiga back another year.