Canada Border Opening - 2021 (no CSM please)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AdamChandler, Mar 5, 2021.

1. TheRoss

TheRoss IBA# 522, MOA, ABC Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm holding out hope that the border and Prudhoe Bay are open by July.
    Maybe I'll have the Dalton Highway all to myself!

Holding out hope, but not holding my breath.
  2. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know this is splitting hairs, but I could have sworn that the call had previously been made on the 14th of each month for a closure extended until the next month’s 21st. My hope was the delay, if any, was because of more consideration to reopening. Wishful thinking, I know, especially considering the plight of Ontario at the moment.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  4. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ontario and Alberta are floundering. I'm really hopeful for 2022 because the current situation isn't
    giving any indication that we'll be in a position to have open borders any time soon.
  5. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can someone please clarify something for me: Americans are basically prohibited from entering Canada with just a few exceptions right now. Is the opposite true? Can Canadians enter the US lawfully? I have been reading about so-called snowbirds returning to Canada from the Florida, etc. homes and wonder what the deal is. :dunno
  6. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can fly in to the US but the land border is closed snowbirds are shipping their RV's in and flying across the border. I just had my motorcycle shipped up from Arizona after having to leave it there last March 2020. Northern land border closed to traffic unless essential and the southern border is wide open to who ever wants to arrive, I just dont get it.
  7. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    It definitely is very inconsistent. The rules seem to favor air travel, even though air travel is what spread this disease around the world initially.

I haven’t been keeping up with news. What is happenning up in Ontario and Alberta?
  8. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Record high C-19 confirmed cases and ICU admissions in both of these provinces.
  9. HarveyM

HarveyM Long timer

Oddometer:
    The good news is Canada's Rate of infection is now below 1, meaning cases are decreasing and both Ontario and Quebec will make vaccines available to pretty much everyone in May.

To me that suggests to me that there may be a sharp decrease in case load by July or August.

Edited post (twice! God damned..) due to spelling.....
    DyrWolf, Cal and boulet_boulet like this.
  10. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m hoping for a sharp decrease in the deceased, but that’s just me.

Sorry, could not resist.
    Maggot12 and HarveyM like this.
  11. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    GS4All and HarveyM like this.
  12. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I find it odd that this thread is about how quick/soon can I, big quotations around "I" ., can get there vs what's the best thing to do.

I have the vacine, let me go... is not how it works.
    MacNoob, AngusMcL and akaDigger like this.
  13. I82l8

I82l8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The EU is already looking at allowing travel for vaccinated people...my guess is that we might get something similar here.
    HarveyM likes this.
  14. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the vacine works there is no danger to self or others for going. If it doesn't work why get it. "I" have mine and "I" want to travel.
  15. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    EDIT: The post that was here was refuted by a doctor.

I thought I was reading reputable sources. Apparently not.
    squonker likes this.
  16. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No one suggested going without permission.

The 94% number is for those over 65 and it quickly approaches 100% with reduced age.

We have long past the point in the U.S. where the cure pushed by federal government and some state governments is worse than the disease. As the point has arrived that everyone wanting the vaccine has one all restrictions should be lifted. Those who chose not to get one do so at their own risk. If the border opens this summer, statistics show I am much more likely to enter a hospital for a motorcycle accident than Covid.
  17. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    You're speaking with authority on this subject, but what you're saying isn't accurate/known. First of all, you can't give these exact figures unless you're quantifying which vaccine you're discussing. If you're discussing the Moderna/Pfizer vaccines, it reduces hospitalizations 94% in older adults. If you take the population as a whole, this number is most likely much higher.

We don't yet know if the 94-95% who have had both doses of Moderna or Pfizer who are protected from getting laboratory-confirmed virus (different than the hospitalization rate) can still shed the virus. Stop speaking as if what you're saying is known and fact. It's neither. Initial research is very promising that this is not the case. The initial research on these vaccines preventing asymptomatic cases is at least 90% effective, which means that it is unlikely that these two vaccines are unable to prevent people from shedding the virus.

FWIW, I'm a physician. I spend most of my days telling people to stop spreading misinformation. I can't even log into facebook any longer. I can really only agree with your last sentence of your post.

This I agree with wholeheartedly. Once the only unvaccinated people left are those who don't want them, we absolutely should lift all restrictions.
  18. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    It really doesn't matter what we discuss here, the border will open when the border opens. But, you've got a good point. Should we travel when we're able? Purely in terms of virus spread, probably not. However, in terms of those who rely on tourism for their livelihood, they likely have a different perspective. And there is the aspect of mental health as well. Although social distancing and mask wearing is doing wonders at keeping airborne illnesses down, mental health disorders have skyrocketed. This is probably worthy of a new thread to discuss if we should, and if the answer is yes, what the most responsible way to travel is.
  19. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    HarveyM and Vark like this.
  20. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer: