Canada Border Opening - 2021 (no CSM please)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AdamChandler, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    It'll be policed... just yesterday..

Two more people fined under Health Protection Act - HalifaxToday.ca

Two more people have been fined under the province's Health Protection Act in separate incidents.

Halifax District RCMP were called to Sackville Dr. in Lower Sackville at around 3 p.m. Monday. Officers then ticketed a man at a business for failing to wear a mask in a public place.

Then at around 11:30 p.m. Monday, Mounties pulled over a vehicle on Memory Lane in Musquodoboit Harbour. They say the driver was from Indian Brook and she was ticketed for non-essential travel outside of her municipality. Those towns are 40 minutes from each other.

Both tickets carry a fine of $2,422.00

I'd just wait it all out though, We'll get there.

AdamChandler likes this.
  2. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mask mandate being removed across much of the USA. The Habs announced yesterday that they will be allowing 2,500 spectators in the Bell Centre in upcoming games. Things could move quickly. We will know more in two days when they either announce a renewal or not. The Radio Canada hosts were saying yesterday that more than ever during this closure there are no signals really about the government's intentions right now. We'll see...
    Maggot12 and Cal like this.
  3. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    Looks like the border closure will be extended another month; Canada-U.S. border restrictions extended another month to June 21...
  4. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yikes. And I thought speeding tickets were bad up North...
    Maggot12 likes this.
  5. fozrunner

fozrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm still cautiously optimistic about opening the border mid-July, at least to fully vaccinated Americans. Canada passed 50% of our population with a first dose and we're on our way to 70-75%. We're still far short of second doses administered (only around 4-6%), but that should rise in June. Most seniors over 75 have had two doses, but that falls as age drops below 70. In my area the first dose stats are as follows LETHBRIDGE - WEST
    Percent of people immunized at least one dose
    75+: 90.9%, (1451 people)
    60-74: 86.7%, (4249 people)
    40-59: 75.4%, (6562 people)
    20-39: 59%, (8063 people)
    12-19: 85.7%, (2191 people)
    All ages: 57.9%, (22642 people)

This shows a great uptake of vaccines as they become available. In rural Alberta the uptake hasn't been as good, but it is catching up. There's lots of talk about having some sort of Calgary Stampede up here starting on July 9th. If cases keep dropping in June and we keep getting more vaccines we should be in good shape.
    GravelRider, Maggot12 and HarveyM like this.
  6. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I predicted by Labor day as a CSM thread based on 75% fully vaccinated. With the current 75% single dose 20% fully vaccinated suggestions that would make it mid-July as fozrunner suggested
    Maggot12 likes this.
  7. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    God I hope so. One more extension takes us to July 21. I can weather one more extension beyond that (to Aug 21) before my plans get fu**ed again. Fingers crossed.
  8. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Nice to have this thread back open. Some good info can be shared,of what's happening around inmates locations.

The tickets started out at 100 bucks, but folks didn't listen.. A group of teens had a party and all got fined 1000 bucks.

The same group then took a group picture holding their tickets and posted on social media. The cops found them all and then gave them an additional 2k ticket. :lol3

EmmEff likes this.
  9. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I meant to post this during the recent thread lock--and maybe someone else already has: Trudeau's position on opening the border has been only after 75% of Canadians have received the vaccine.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-one-dose-summer-1.6022120

According to most recent reports, Canada is at 50% overall, which is about where my own state is.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-vaccine-deliveries-progress-report-1.6034624
    Edit: apparently my information is out of date. Maine just crossed 70% vaccination status.

These things can move quickly and Canada is making headway.

Speaking of thread locks, I value this conversation and ask anyone who sees CSM BS being posted here to just report it. Don't respond and feed the crazies, as understandable as it is to give into that urge. I had an offline conversation with a mod about this and they pointed out that the thread has had to be cleaned up more than once. Let's pick up our game a little with peer policing.
    Maggot12, Red-hungarian and HarveyM like this.
  10. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve been here a while and I still have no idea what people are referring to with the abbreviation “CSM.”
  11. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    CSM = Church State or Money, basically It refers to divisive topics that are OK on some parts of the forum, but not here.
  12. divimon2000

divimon2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are correct sir. But. It. Is. So. Hard. I bit my tongue that time
    Canada Rocks, can’t wait to move there.
    boulet_boulet likes this.
  13. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At least our provincial govt here finally unveiled a plan with targets yesterday... I'm optimistic that we might actually be able to head south of the border - Vegas, perhaps? - before November

[​IMG]
    HarveyM likes this.
  14. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    I literally thought it meant "covid scare mongering". Church, state, or money makes more sense.

An important nuance for people watching the numbers is one dose versus two dose. The term "vaccinated" is getting thrown around and it may mean different things to different people depending on where they live.

I just say this, sp Americans watching the Canadian vax numbers rise to that 75% mark, may not be looking at the important "fully vaxed" or "2 dose" mark.
    scottdc, Cal and boulet_boulet like this.
  15. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. Possibly Certifiable

Possibly Certifiable Verified Bing-nut

Oddometer:
    It is a federal matter. If NB (where I live) opens the border to Maine, well, nothing effectively changes until and unless the federal closure is lifted since (said in a Down Easter accent) you can't get theya from heeya. If the reverse happened, well, that would be a REALLY interesting thing to watch with respect to Canadian constitutional law but I'm a nerd that way.

As it stands there have been some really "interesting" unintended consequences of some of the public safety orders. I won't get into details since it's bordering on CSM content. Not the facts themselves but the "discussions" around them. That said, so far, New Brunswick has had 43 deaths in TOTAL attributed to the pandemic and the rest of the Maritime provinces are pretty well in line so something must be working.
    boulet_boulet and divimon2000 like this.
  17. fozrunner

Oddometer:
    Canada eyeing multi-stage approach to reopening the border to travellers

The pressure on politicians is now definitely ramping up, something may be up for July.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trudeau-international-visitors-restrictions-1.6056584

Canada is now at 61.7% vaccinated with a first dose and 7.9% fully vaccinated. Second doses are ramping up, I get mine next week (I actually delayed it so the interval b/n doses was closer to 12 weeks). My wife gets her's tmw and my 95Year old dad got his 2nd dose on Sunday. The uptake in most of the population is pretty good, so things should advance fairly quickly.
    boulet_boulet likes this.
  18. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two snippets from a current news article:

“Prime Minister Justin Trudeau revealed two key elements of the likely reopening plan in public remarks Monday: that the reopening will happen in stages and that the first travellers entering Canada will have to be fully vaccinated.

An official aware of the Canada-U.S. talks, who asked to remain anonymous, said he doubts a June reopening is likely and suggested July would be a likelier starting date for the first phase.”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trudeau-international-visitors-restrictions-1.6056584
    GISdood likes this.
  19. fozrunner

Oddometer:
    This is interesting, if true. An announcement of some sort is rumoured to be in the cards for Friday, June 11th.

Changes to Canada-U. S. border restrictions could be announced as soon as Friday

"OTTAWA—An announcement could come as soon as Friday on how fully vaccinated people can more easily travel between Canada and the U.S as the first step in a plan to reopen the border."

"The current closure order expires June 21, so many eyes are on that day for the start of a new approach.
    Prime Minister Justin Trudeau refused Tuesday to confirm that target."

"Making the announcement by Friday would give 10 days for the first of any changes to roll out. It would also come while Justin Trudeau is in the U.K. for the G7 summit, where the manner in which global economies will gear up post-pandemic is the main topic. With U.S. President Joe Biden in attendance, a chance to make a feel-good announcement on the border could be a win for both countries."

https://www.thestar.com/politics/fe...are-fully-vaccinated-justin-trudeau-says.html
  20. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One province (Manitoba) has announced plans for a 'Vaccine card' which allows returning (from the rest of Canada) Manitobans avoid the currently required 14 day self-isolation. The Canadian government says it's working on Vaccine cards (for Canadian travellers) too, but no tangible results yet.. For International travellers coming in (for 'non-essential' purposes- not currently allowed) the plan is when it is allowed it's vaccinated only in the short to mid term.