Canada Border Opening - 2021 (no CSM please)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AdamChandler, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Possibly Certifiable

Possibly Certifiable Verified Bing-nut

Oddometer:
    No idea if there are plans in the works for a national card but I doubt it since health care delivery is downloaded to the provinces here. I could see thirteen DIFFERENT cards, one for each province and territory. As it stands, this is all I currently have. I particularly like the "Keep this sheet or other immunization record in a safe place as you may be requested to present proof of COVID-19 immunization in the future." All the information is handwritten. How 1985. Not sure any other jurisdictions would accept that.

[​IMG]

I go in Tuesday for my second shot. I can see the light at the end of this tunnel. I just hope it's not a heavy freight! :jack
    Fred Oliff likes this.
  2. Fred Oliff

Fred Oliff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As a Canadian, with one shot only, and four tests, I crossed back into Canada on May 6th, but it's still not possible for tourism. I had flown to San Diego on April 21st and rode my 2000 Ducati ST4 home. First negative test April 18th. Second negative test taken at Overland Park, KS on May 4th, third negative test May 6th at Windsor, ON, fourth May 14th at Hamilton ON and 14 days quarantine (and PCHA nurses checked on me in person, twice). oi!
  3. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Got my 2nd this morning. The 1st was May 14th.

I have an immunization (travel) booklet with everything I've ever been needled with since 1989.
    Zero interest for US travel anytime soon. Atlantic Canada is good for now.
  4. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^Nice^ I got my first (Moderna) April 25th, but still can't get my second in Ontario. Honestly, I'd rather be on the east coast now too!
  5. fozrunner

fozrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unless there is something else announced by the end of the day I'm pretty disappointed with the progress so far. Letting Canadians and permanent residents back into the country with no isolation if they've received two vaccines is a no-brainer. Hardly a vast improvement in the border controls for July. Waiting until 75% of Canadians get the full two doses before opening the border could take forever!

We really should be opening the border to anyone who is two weeks past there second immunization, the risk to the country or our health care system would be minimal.
    kantuckid, kennyanc and Vark like this.
  6. Possibly Certifiable

Oddometer:
    @Maggot12 is this something "official" that your doctor fills out or you just mark down yourself? Sounds like a damned good idea for a traveler no matter what so you at least know what you have and when.

At the rate we are going, I'll just be overjoyed when the Atlantic Bubble opens again. As my wife says, I'll cross a border just because I can! I imagine riders on Prince Edward Island are pretty stir crazy about now. Have every single pothole on every single road on the island mapped out. :lol3
    Maggot12 likes this.
  7. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. fozrunner

fozrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. Possibly Certifiable

Oddometer:
    Province of NB moving to phase 2 on reopening plan midnight tonight.

Press release: https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/corporate/promo/covid-19/news/news_release.2021.06.0469.html
    Path to Green: https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/corporate/promo/covid-19/alert-levels/path-to-green.html

Next step is full reopening and discontinuation of the emergency order that gives the province authority to close provincial borders, among other things. Of note, in phase 2, residents of the state of Maine will be allowed* into NB without self isolation once the federal restrictions are lifted.

As I've said before, I can't imagine that a full international border re-opening will happen until there is a full re-opening internally. There *is* light at the end of the tunnel though.

Edit: *Allowed with 1 dose of vaccine aboard, un-vaccinated folk will still have to self isolate for 14 days with PCR testing.
    HarveyM likes this.
  10. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Just announced.

Border closed till 21 Jul...
  11. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here’s some analysis on the latest renewal:
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/us-canada-border-closed-reaction-1.6071737

The article makes the point:
    (US Rep Brian) Higgins calls it immoral that NHL players got a travel exemption for the playoffs while fully vaccinated people can't cross to see their loved ones or their property.

Right on cue, as the Montreal Canadiens arrived in Vegas for game 3 of the Stanley Cup semifinals, Habs interim head coach Dominique Ducharme has tested positive for COVID.
    https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/habs-coach-covid-1.6071015
    Ducharme had already received one dose of the vaccine.

Lastly, from the Daily COVID, True North edition, Canada is expecting a lot of vaccines soon.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-vaccine-doses-end-july-1.6071473
  12. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Frustrated and not a little envious to hear that two US riders crossed into Canada yesterday on a Harley and a Goldwing. Just wanted to ride north. They figured they’d try and were indeed admitted.

This is second hand info and I’m trying to get the facts (like pulling teeth, really).

Can there be any truth to this?
  13. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    I heard something about allowing 72hrs to transit the ALCAN
    Dan Diego likes this.
  14. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    No truth as it applies to the southern Canadian border. It is different up north in the Yukon. From the Canadian Government this morning:

Driving to or from Alaska through Canada
    You can’t transit through Canada by land for an optional reason, such as a vacation or leisure. When seeking entry to Canada, you will be subject to strict entry conditions and public health requirements. You will need to have proof that your entry into Canada is not optional, such as:

• proof of residence or employment in Alaska if going north
    • proof of residence or employment in the lower 48 states if going south
    You must provide proof of a valid test result to enter Canada.

Habitual residents of Alaska who drive through Yukon to get to another part of Alaska or return to their place of residence are exempt from pre-entry and arrival testing. You must remain in your vehicle while passing through Canada.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/border
    Dan Diego likes this.
  15. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Evidently the polling is playing well for Trudeau, because at this point there is no rational reason to keep immunized Americans out. Losing a second summer tourist season will be another hit to the Canadian economy.
    cmattina and black 8 like this.
  17. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can only think Canada's waiting on some sort of official US vaccine certification.
  18. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    Agree... Canada is missing out.

I caged from FL to CA a week ago and this was at a Buc-ee's travel stop in Tx... people want to travel and spend tourism $$$ after months of lockdowns.

7.jpeg
  19. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    That confirms my continued desire to NOT patronize one of those!
  20. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    As crazy as it was, their bathrooms were "immaculate" compared to some of the places I've had to stop along my 2,600 mile route home...

Pick your poison...