Canada gets the Varadero for 2008!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by SPEEDSMITH, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:
    Comparing the KTM to this bike is :poser

The big KTM is the dirtiest of the big dualsports and the Varadero is on the streetbike side of the fence with the V-Strom. The GS fits somewhere in the middle.

It's to bad the KTM isn't as reliable as a Honda though.
  2. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    And a maintenance wh0re. I have owned one KTM in my life and that was enough. :deal
  3. ozcan

ozcan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The SW Motech bars certainly seem strong, but are apparently one of the tougher bars to install.

Six mounting points. Two behind the radiator, two on the frame, and two on the forward engine cylinder.

Thanks for that, Terry. And I thought my AT bars were a hassle. Is 'travelling' access to your oil filter now a problem?
    Paul
  4. varaman

varaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not at all. Everything can still be easily serviced. In fact the side panels, with a little work, can be removed with the crashbars in place.

Terry
  5. ozcan

ozcan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice. It's a hassle with the AT on very very long rides. I just keep dropping the oil, roadside. I may have found a reasonably priced RD04 in the UK, to ride Wales, Scotland and Ireland; then ship to NS. Alternatively there's a demo Dero in Quebec, right now. The advantage of the AT is around $10K, less shipping to Canada, of course.
    Paul
  6. ozcan

ozcan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would you believe that the very same Dero was just passed in, on eBay, at C$10K? Didn't meet the reserve. Identical colour to yours, Terry.

I then emailed a certain Pascal(e) the Quebecois retailer... to follow up. He never got back to me.... . Pity. We'd probably have bought the bike.
  7. Byrdman

Byrdman Fat guy on a little bike!

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know where I can find an online parts breakdown for the Varadero 1000? I use Bike Bandit and Ron Ayers all the time for research but they don't have the Varadero's parts manual online as it's not available in the US.

Thanks.........
  8. bross

Oddometer:
    http://www.hondaofbournemouth.co.uk/model.aspx?model=329
  9. ohiodualsporter

ohiodualsporter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought I'd chime in... I looked at the Honda Varerdo years ago and fell in love with the sytling. When i found out it was a "Europe only" bike and gave up on it. Then I walked into my Aprilia dealership and saw the Caponord. Its a Varerdo clone, only better. I bought it.
    A couple of years later my son and I were on a dual sport ride in North Carolina. When we walked out the next morning to ride there was a Varerdo parked in the lot next to our bikes. The rider had obviuosly checked in during the night. I didn't have the Capo on this trip, (I was on my KLR) so I couldn't do a direct comparison, but I was amazed how much the Capo and the Varerdo looked alike. While I believe the Capo to be a little better for engineering reason, (tubesless spoked rims like BMW uses, Brembo brakes, etc) the Varardo looked to be a nice bike.
    Since the Capo and Varerdo are styled the same, the same displacement, etc, I assume the weight is similar. (ie the handling offroad should be similar) I can tell ya that the Capo is an excellent touring bike and makes for a great sport touring mount as well. Gravel roads wouldn't be a problem, but a "dirt bike" it isn't. I'm 6-1, 235lbs and the Capo fully loaded is a handful off the beaten path. While I would consider doing all that a trip to Canada offers roadwise, single track is out of the question. Thats what the KLR is for.
    The biggest downside to owning the Aprilia is the dealer network or lack thereof. I won't be taking it to Canada for that very reason. Even the best bikes have problems and Canada is no place to need OEM parts for a bike they don't even import.
    Having said that, if Honda decides to bring the Varerdo to the US, I would consider replacing the Capo just because there are Honda dealers everywhere. Heck, who am I kidding... I'd keep the Capo and buy the Varerdo too. After all you can never have too many bikes right...:lol3
  10. bross

Oddometer:
    That's kinda how I feel about my CBF. Even though it's a Honda and their's lot's of Honda dealers, these two "Adventure" bikes, the CBF and the Varadero are only supported by the "PowerSports" dealers, which are few and far between. Walk into any regular Honda dealer and ask for something for the CBF and they say CBR? Most don't even know the CBF exists and thankfully I haven't need any service work done because parts so far are non-existent. No wonder these bikes don't sell here, they're like the red headed step child for Honda. I love my CBF and it will be in the garage for a long time, I just hope it doesn't break cause as far as I'm concerned, I may as well be riding a Guzzi, at least as far as parts availability goes.
  11. VO1MX

VO1MX Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Relax man ... Any Honda dealer in Canada can and will help you if neccessary :D
  12. bross

Oddometer:
    Sure, go ahead and find me a service manual for the CBF. :deal After trying for over 8 months, looks like I'll be ordering one from the UK and paying shipping over here.

Never said I was worried, just stating things the way they are, and as far as these two bikes go, you may as well be riding a boutique brand, that's all.
  13. haithabu

haithabu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ....just put a deposit down on a 2008 Varadero, 2200 km new (a dealer demo).

The price of C$12,000 includes panniers (no top box), GPS, engine guard, centre stand, quartet wiring harness (for heated clothing), heated grips & 1st service. N/C for PDI/freight.

Pickup day is Friday, if the weather cooperates.
  14. VO1MX

VO1MX Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats man, you're going to love the Varadero. And you got a great deal as well :clap
  15. haithabu

haithabu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, V01MX. I was going to wait til spring, but I couldn't resist this deal. Really looking forward to getting it on the road!
  16. varaman

varaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats. I have the first Varadero delivered to a Canadian customer, and it continues to impress and gobble up the miles. Over a year of solid performance and comfort.

What sort of engine guard (crashbars) did you go with?

Terry