Canada - Importing airhead

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by pietas, Jul 19, 2018.

1. pietas

pietas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are contemplating moving to Canada. Is it worth the costs and effort to try and bring my 81 g/s (EU version, registered in South Africa) with me and register it in Canada? Or rather, do they even allow it? The bike will be in a container with our belongings and will pass through customs.

If so, what would the procedure be?
  2. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do not know the procedure but getting an older vehicle into and registering it in Canada is much easier than a newer one and finding a good G/S there would not be easy so it should be a worthwhile endeavour.
    pietas likes this.
  3. Malindi

Malindi Zen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Since your bike is an '81 it does not need inspection. It needs to be very clean as they are concerned about foreign animals, bugs and plant debris. All you need to do is get insurance here and pay GST (5% in BC) on the value of the bike. Then get you get insurance and a plate and you're off. If your bike is stock or near stock, you can apply for collectors plates if you have another vehicle insured as well. In BC, a collector plated R80G/S '86 is $255 per year. Without the collector plate about $1,000 per year. Same for an '83 R80RT. It too is $255 per year. I bought my '86 in the US, rode it to the border with the Colorado plates on it (but I bought 10 days' worth of BC insurance to make it home), paid the 5% GST on the bill of sale and off I went. They didn't even look at it. Once in BC, you simply go to an insurance agent, get the VIN read and they'll issue you registration and insurance for a normal plate ($1,000/year). Then take 4 pictures, send it in and see if you qualify for collectors. Where in Canada are you moving? You won't find a G/S for sale anywhere in Canada at any sort of reasonable prices.
    pietas and Mark Manley like this.
  4. pietas

pietas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Very useful if one is unfamiliar with the processes.
    We are actually looking at BC. My bike is aiming to be stock. :hmmmmm Different front-end, longer swing arm, Siebenrock kit, R100GS tank, Wilbers shock, Acerbis rear fender, custom exhaust. Else, everything is stock BMW.
    Mouse and Jim K in PA like this.
  5. Malindi

Malindi Zen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It sounds like it may make it through the collectors process no problem. I depends a bit on who reviews it. I initially sent my pictures with the Acerbis tank and they rejected that. Borrowed a PD tank which had the badges and it passed. Mine is heavily modded at the rear, a total custom rear end to carry bags. Didn't phase them. The biggest problem in moving to BC for you will be the price of real estate, about $2,000 per square foot downtown now. :-)
    pietas likes this.
  6. pietas

pietas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My tank is painted like the PD tank (got it like that).

I wish we could be able to buy. Will be renting. In any case a good idea to rent when one is unfamiliar with a new town/country.

Attached Files:

The Patagonia Kid and Malindi like this.