Canada2Argentina - Going outside to play for 6 months!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by marcoue, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Poka

Poka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :beer
  2. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, please don't hesitate to share your good finds so we can all take advantage of them! And let me (us) know you location from time to time. It would be fun to meet!

Safe travels!
  3. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ruud! Looking forward to reading your comments!
    Ruud109 likes this.
  4. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    Hello from Oregon! I just got caught up with your RR but it looks like you haven't hit the road yet? I'm taking a short break from the trip after 7 weeks. Alaska was great although briefly but it got me prepared for Latin America it will be a piece of cake for me, I hope! Nov 14th Stahlratte is booked but I still haven't figure out when I think I'll be in Mexico or Panama so I'm going to wing it. Maybe earlier or later. Stahlratte has decided at short notice to add Nov 21st tour date so I have that option.

-Ken
  5. Sundog650

Sundog650 Northern Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great trip ..... subcribed.
  6. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto

I just started reading, Good Luck! I am from Mississippi, but live in Mexico and have traveled down to the Darien Gap, but not further, yet.

I will not tell what you should do, but I will tell you what I do. After losing a wallet on one trip that had my Debit Card, my Credit Card and all my cash, I made some changes. I use a debit card for my expenditures. I got a second Debit Card from my bank and keep it is a secure location on my moto. My Credit Card is in a different secure location on the moto. Plus, I have another Debit Card from my Broker that is normally in a different location. If you are robbed, they are normally not looking for plastic, just cash. I also keep $200US in a secure location on the moto. All of these locations require simple tools to access. With 100,000 miles plus of touring south of the border, I have never been robbed! I have at times, limited the funds in my Debit Card account to only what was needed and transfer funds on a as needed basis or on $3,000 to $5,000 increments.

At least down past Panama City, there are ATMs every where. I usually get about $500 in the local currency and replenish when I am down to $100. But, don't count on getting money from ATMs on Sunday and sometimes Saturday. They do not replenish the cash in the machines on weekends. The more remote the area, the more likely of them being out of cash on weekends. While I have not been to South America yet, from the many Ride Reports I have read, I think it would be fairly safe using the same method for replenishing cash. I think the ship you are taking to Columbia may require US cash. Sometimes Panama requires you to show proof of at least $500 to enter their country. A recent receipt from an ATM is acceptable.

I keep a spare set of keys for my moto in the trunk, with a spare key to the trunk in my wallet. Besides copies of critical documents, photographs of the same that are stored in email accounts can be advantageous.
  7. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    You probably already know, but the location for your Tourist Permit and you moto Temporary Importation is about 20 miles inland at Allende. It is on MX57, you can't miss it.
  8. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Hope to keep you entertained!

Today is another milestones for me. I'm leaving in 2 weeks and it was the day I had planned to store my beloved car for the winter. I'm going to miss it!!! :) But not winter!

Thanks to my buddy Tim for providing the space. Very generous of him and appreciated. One less thing to worry about!

IMG_2992.JPG
  9. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip! I had planned on something very similar. I have travelled a lot to South America and Europe so I know the importance of redundancy. One very limited wallet on me, another one in my locked top box and a last one hidden under the seat. Hope that 3 copies of my original driver's licence and registration will get me to Argentina!

I have a key strategy but I'm not sharing my trick!!! :)

Hope it works!
  10. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for the tip. I've decided to register in advance.

This is the insurance I chose (Good price, easy web site to navigate):

http://www.mexinsurance.com/coverage/ (400$ for 6 months, full coverage)

Permit:

http://www.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/vehiculos/importacion_temporal/Paginas/aspectos_generales_ingles.aspx
    https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/#
  11. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi! Nop, leaving on September 11th. Hope to see you the Nov 14th. I'm going to try to make this boat and not the Nov 21th one because I want to have an extra week in South America, opposed to Central America and Mexico.

Will you be keeping a blog or a thread here? Would be nice to run into each other at some point!
  12. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    I found www.bajabound.com and http://mexicaninsurancestore.com to be more cheaper and had group of riders who ride Mexico a lot recommended using ACE Insured as provider.

I have a RR on here Deaf rider's solo journey exploring Americas

I won't be on the Nov 14th Stahlratte sailing date. I haven't decided on the crossing yet, but I do hope to meet you along the way. I'll probably start heading south from Oregon on Sept 15th.
  13. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good for you. I'm jealous. :thumbup
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  14. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WD - Backup - EyeTV - Logiciels
    Ok, I'll make sure to follow you progress! Save riding sir and enjoy!
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  15. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :)
  16. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Donny

Do you have a recomendation on where to cross to Mexico in the Laredo area? As mentioned before, I already have my import permit but I would appreciate avoiding huge lineups! Would a detour thru Piedras Negras worth it? I'll be spending the previous night in Austin and the next one in Saltillo.

All comments are welcomed!

Capture d’écran 2016-08-30 à 18.43.51.png
  17. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nuevo Laredo is normally fairly quick when I get papers, but I think you already have yours, so you can drive straight across. Btw, the Toll road to Monterrey saves very little time and cost over 100 pesos. The Toll road from Monterrey to Saltillo also saves very little time. But you will save a ton of time and miles using the Toll road to bypass Saltillo.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk
  18. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I normally cross at Laredo. I use to cross at Reynosa when I lived en Chiapas. If you cross at Piedras Negras, it is probably less than one hour longer and it could be the same or less if you get hung up in Monterrey.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk
  19. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply!

So just to make sure, I don't need to get my passport stamped if I already have my import permit? Won't be an issue when leaving Mexico?
  20. Marc LaDue

Marc LaDue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All the best on your well laid-out plans and adventure. Did you know what Stahlratte means by the way?

LaDue