Canada2Argentina - Going outside to play for 6 months!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by marcoue, Jul 8, 2016.

1. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! And no, I didn't! Good to know. German?
  2. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    No, you do not need it stamped to enter. Guatemala will require an Exit stamp from Mexico to enter Guatemala.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk
    marcoue likes this.
  3. Marc LaDue

Marc LaDue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It means Steel Rat!

Good Luck just the same,

LaDue
  4. Sparky.marky

Sparky.marky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How're you planning to get your moto home from SA?

I leave on the same trip in 26 days, and I was just quoted $2400 USD to fly by $1500 USD vstrom home.
  5. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    I will see you in Panama at least as I'm on the 14 Nov trip as well. No ride report yet as there is not much to say at the moment, maybe in the next two weeks.. I'll be sure to post up when I get something posted. I figure to leave around Oct 1st but I don't have quite as much planning done as you do, I have the bike and stuff (and the boat reservation, very important as Ludwig emailed me saying that trip is popular so I figure it is probably fully booked now) but cannot string coherent sentences together into an interesting narrative.

My plans measure out to be cross the border in Tecate, head down Baja for a bit then take the ferry from La Paz to Matazlan......figure out the rest from there... be in Panama before 14 Nov.....arrive in Colombia.....head south......????? Time frame for trip is about 4 months or so, I'm also retired so no time pressure other than making the boat on time.

Will follow along to see how you are doing!
  6. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I remember my trip to Inuvik in 2008. One of the great pleasures was to setup camp in a remote site or a Provincial Park campground and enjoy the simple pleasure of nature, cooking a simple meal and sometimes, listening to a river flow while drinking a good bottle of wine.

The downside of camping is having to carry the extra volume and additional weight for 25000 km!

It was important for me to prepare my equipment so that it is of the highest quality, comfortable, allowing me to stay dry and warm while being as light as possible.

I also intend to go hiking, on walks that which most probably be multi days.

It is simply impossible to carry all my things for a 6-month trip in the panniers of my bike. So I have to tie extra bags on top of the two side boxes. I’ll keep the top empty in order to store a small messenger bag (shoulder bag) and to be able to store my helmet when I have to leave the bike for a short while.

I have 2 challenges. In a perfect world, I would have chosen to carry my things in dry or duffle bags (waterproof bags for kayaking). But as I also have to carry a backpack for hiking, so I decided to waterproof things from the inside and protect it with a rain cover.

Also note that all the items that will be in motorcycle boxes will also be in sealed bags, because unfortunately, the BMW panniers let water in.

First item, the tent. Criteria: light, solid, 2 doors and vestibules, waterproofed. My choice was an Elixir 2 from MSR. I could have chosen a lighter model, but at the expense of sturdiness.

[​IMG]
    Elixir 2 tent from MSR

Small trick with the tent, always carry a few lengths of rope, as in the high mountain areas, it is not always possible to use the stakes and you have to take the stones present on the ground to solidify the tent.

My sleeping bag is a The North Face -9 degrees Celsius (down). It has the advantage of being very comfortable, warm and compact.You must, however, be careful not to let it get wet.

[​IMG]
    -9 Celcius sleeping bag by The North Face

The sleeping pad I use is a 3/4 sized model from Thermarest. Although not covering the entire length of my legs, it is sufficient for the occasional camping and is very compact and lightweight for transportation.

[​IMG]
    3/4 sleeping pad from Thermarest

[​IMG]
    Folded 3/4 sleeping pad from Thermarest

I will also keep a Therm-A-Rest Trekker seat in order to sit in the tent during rainy evenings while adding virtually no weight to my luggage.

[​IMG]
    Therm-A-Rest Trekker Chair Kit to use with the sleeping pad

My main backpack is Deuter 45+. This is a piece of equipment I extensively tested and that I find very reliable, roomy and comfortable. Perfect for this multi-disciplinary adventure!

[​IMG]
    45+ backpack from Deuter

For cooking, I’ll have a Optimus Terra cook set and a Primus Omnifuel II stove. Its advantage is that it works with several types of fuel and in strong winds. Another item I have extensively tested successfully. I have fuel 3 bottles I’ll initially fill with White Gas. During the trip, when the fuel is not available, I can use, though a bit more messy, normal gasoline.

[​IMG]
    Primus Omnifuel II Stove
    [​IMG]
    Cook Set by Optimus Terra

Here is my list.

Tent MSR Elixir 2 300,00
    Tent poles MSR 0,00
    Sleeping bag The North Face 300,00
    Mat Termarest 100,00
    Mat repair kit Termarest 20,00
    Chair kit Termarest 40,00
    Rope To attache tent 10,00
    Deuter 45+ litres 175,00
    Deuter 32+ litres 175,00
    Backpack rain cover 2X MEC 30,00
    Towel 10,00
    Water bottle (1L) Nalgene 10,00
    Water bottle (500ml) Nalgene 12,00
    Camelpack 50,00
    Frontal light Black Diamond 75,00
    AAA Batteries (For lights and Spot GPS) 8X 25,00
    Tent waterproofing and repair kit 30,00
    Messenger bag Cocotte Equipement 130,00
    Messenger bag – Replacement clip Cocotte Equipement 5,00
    Water filter Katadyn Hicker Pro 100,00
    Steripen – UV Water Purifier Steripen Classic 130,00
    Fuel bottles 1L (3X) 80,00
    Fuel bottles 1L – extra cap 5,00
    Eye cover for sleeping 0,00
    Small thermometer 5,00
    Small Carabiners for J-Stakes 10X 20,00
    Kleenex tissues 10X 5,00
    Clothespin 6X 1,00
    Landry soap 6X 1,00
    Stove (burner) MEC 175,00
    Pots Optimus Terra 70,00
    Waterproof matches 3X 15,00
    Hicking knife 30,00
    Wine glass GSI Outdoors 10,00
    Wine opener 2X 15,00
    Wine bags 2X Platy Preserve 20,00
    Titanium utensils kit MSR 30,00
    Can Opener 5,00
    Peeler 1,00
    Water filter Katadyn Hicker Pro 100,00
    Steripen – UV Water Purifier Steripen Classic 130,00
    Cutting board GSI 10,00
    Knife Laguiole 200,00
    Small knife Opinel 20,00
    Cleaning
    Zip-locks Multiple sizes 10,00
    Table cloth 2,00
    Wet ones 5,00
    Soap for dishes 10,00
    Scott Towels 2,00
    Total: 2 404,00

The next post will focus on the clothes I’m bringing. I must hurry because I leaving in 2 weeks!
  7. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    I don't think I've ever heard a fellow Canadian ever say that Winter's are for closing the doors and just staying inside.

But I see your French Canadian :imaposer

It's a joke man.

I'm enjoying your prelude.
    And your panniers can have a dual purpose as a kitchen sink
  8. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is this english enough for you: I HATE WINTER!!!

Kidding aside, I won't miss it one bit this year, except for hockey of course! But I can count on the fact that it'll be back just for me next year!

:becca
  9. goodcat

Oddometer:
    Ya I hate Winter's now too....but mostly because I work outside where it gets down to minus 40 Celsius.

Come on down.... The weather and food are fine. 20160831_153402_HDR.jpg this picture is right now. I'll be waiting for ya
    HBLQRider, Gordon and Max Wedge like this.
  10. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! I'm on my way! Mexico?
  11. goodcat

Oddometer:
    The biggest problem is that you're not going to enjoy our currency exchange.
    So I just try to ignore it and call it a beauty tax :jack
  12. goodcat

Oddometer:
    Yup... Mexico baby.
    Hurry up
  13. goodcat

Oddometer:
    And all what you see in the picture is 70pesos :clap
    Gordon likes this.
  14. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just made 1 + 1! I have been reading your thread from time to time! Great story!

About the exchange rate, yap, it sucks right now :(

Oh well, c'est la vie!
    goodcat likes this.
  15. goodcat

Oddometer:

Exactly.... Just bite the bullet and enjoy.
    It mainly hurts most going through the USA then into Mexico you won't notice it at all.

Enjoy fellow Canadian inmate
    Cheers
  16. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's very interesting to see how you are trying to bring along everything you could possibly need as if you were at home. I suggest you read in RR's by rtwpaul 3 to 5 years riding around the world. He states and I agree [ packing is an art ]. He is riding 2 up on a Yamaha Super Tenere and beside his Panniers he also carries a mes size waterproof bag. When he was solo he didn't need the waterproof bag. that's right, he carried everything in the panniers. Also if you can find John Downs RR riding as a minimalist on a 250cc kawasaki super sherpa. He traveled with not much more in clothing than what he was wearing. I get your point as I tend to over pack for every emergency also but it not necessary as you will find that you can buy most everything you may need on your adventure. Anyway, have a great trip. I'm not trying to trash your prep, it just seems you may need a trailer if your not careful.
  17. Conundrum29

Conundrum29 Unter den Linden

Oddometer:
    Or just being a tad over cautious, who knows...

This being said, enjoy the long journey. Look forward to reading your ride reports.
    À suivre!
  18. rony05

rony05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

i would like to know as well .
  19. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Richardson.

I have no plans on how to get the bike back except that it will be by plane from Buenos Aires. I'm hoping that www.dakarmotos.com will still be in business to help, if not, I'll find another agency. I plan to spend a month in BA.

I know it's expensive but it's something I've always known and have budgeted from the start!
  20. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know the lists may seem extensive but as of today, I've done a few dry runs and everything fits in 2 boxes and 2 medium sized backpacks! We each prepare and travel in different ways. I might drop a few things when I do my final packing next week but I'm comfortable with it now! Let's keep in mind that I chose a big bike, not a 250cc. There's a reason for it I guess!