Canada2Argentina - Going outside to play for 6 months!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by marcoue, Jul 8, 2016.

1. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on this. As mentioned in an previous post, I have too much time to prepare and I need to leave ASAP!!! 10 days to go!
  2. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    You have lots of time to prep.
    Try this.... Load your bike with everything you want to bring and go for a little ride....and make sure it includes how much liquid you are bringing. Then go home and take out what you can do without and ride again. See if you notice a difference.
    I dumped alot of unnecessary weight using this method. Even a couple litres of liquid makes a big difference.
    By the time I hit Mexico I havnt even used my stove. It's cheaper to eat out.
    And Mexico has all the big stores for incidentals.... Like Walmart and Cosco and big brand Moto shops... etc...
    Remember..... It's still a bike... and they are not designed to carry alot of weight like trucks. Unless you beef up your suspension. If you get off road with too much weight.... You will find out right away what I'm saying.
    Travel as light as possible and your bike will love you for it.
    I'm not telling you what to do because I know French Canadians have a hard time with that :jack JKN

Within the first couple weeks I threw stuff away and mailed stuff back home and glad I did. Everyone packs different from the start but over time we all get to the lightest weight possible. It's extremely important!!!!
    When I get to a base camp and offload my top luggage and some side case heavy items to go for a day ride.... man it feels good to ride light again. Time and experience teaches us all my friend.

You have 10 days to adjust so use your prep time wisely.

Friendly advice amigo... that's all
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  3. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    goodcat likes this.
  4. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, like I said it's not easy to figure out what is needed and what might be needed. Good luck and I will be cheering you on.
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  5. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think this bike is overloaded for a 6 to 7 months trip... And since the last dry run, I've manage to remove the blue dry bag on the left!

Of course I had to settle for a cheap 100$ point and shoot camera instead of a Canon reflex and its lenses. I've also decided not to bring a second rear as I had planned initially.

So you see that I'm making an effort! But I won't leave my camping gear behind, nor for my hiking equipment, nor any of my tools!

IMG_2675.jpg
  6. goodcat

Oddometer:

You definitely need camping gear and tools. Glad you dumped the spare tire. It's unnecessary.

Prepping is actually the hardest thing. Your mind overloads but once your rolling it gets easier.

Looking good man
    marcoue likes this.
  7. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    You can buy tires at a location in south Columbia close to US prices, I can't remember the name, but I can find out if you want.
    goodcat likes this.
  8. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This would certainly be useful for myself and others travelling in that area!
  9. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    From friends that went down to Tierra de Fuego last year.

"We have lined up new Hiedenau K60 tires in Bogota at just over US prices and will get them on arrival. By far the most popular tire among the long distance set it will be nice to have a tire for the upcoming gravel roads of S America and they last most riders 10-12k miles and even more on the front.. One downside of the K60 is the sidewalls are so stiff...almost like a run flat tire...they can be difficult to change by hand with regular (short) tire irons on the side of the road. The Super Tenere has tubeless rims so we should not need to take tires off in a puncture...just plug it so this does not really concern us.

2up to South America on a Super Tenere"

"On Tuesday I braved traffic and rode crosstown to Bikes Adventure to have new Heidenau K60 Scout tires installed. These replaced the excellent OEM Bridestone Battlewings that still had life at 8,000 miles 2up. I figured that with the owner having a Super Tenere I would be in good hands and it was a good experience that I would recommend to anyone. Be sure to order your tires ahead of time so they are there as I did....the shop a nice tire machine and even had a digital spin balancing machine...so the job was done right. The trip to the shop took an hour each way due to traffic...it was all of 5 miles!"

Here is a link to the store. http://www.bikesadventure.com/

You probably need to arrange them ahead of time.
    Sparky.marky and yokesman like this.
  10. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dwj - Donnie likes this.
  11. Sparky.marky

Sparky.marky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm currently packing my bike. First month or two is two up. I have two 7.5" panniers and a small pelican topcase. 2 sleeping bags, 2 sleeping pads, a tent, my hammock, 2 camp chairs, cookware/jetboil stove, 2 sets of hiking gear, and 2 sets of everyday clothes, toiletries, electronics.... Slowly figuring out how everything is going to fit. I also have two small wolfman bags for on top of my panniers and a tank bag for odds and ends... After Mexico I'll be running solo and there should be a ton of extra space. But for now space is tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. Sparky.marky

Oddometer:
    I got another quote from someone in Ushuaia for over $4000 USD. At this point I'm realizing that my $1500 USD vstrom probably won't make the return voyage, but that's why I bought it and am taking it instead of my tiger 800

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dwj - Donnie likes this.
  13. goodcat

Oddometer:
    I guess one of you is going to be driving a car :imaposer

Sorry dude but you left yourself wide open for that one.

All that gear and 2 up on a motorcycle.... Im in to watch that
  14. Chat Lunatique

Chat Lunatique aka El Gato Loco

Oddometer:
    Mon Frère.... I am in India on a multi year solo tour, just passing 5 months on the road. I sold a 1200GS before coming here and know this machine well. May I make a suggestion?

Try taking your fully loaded GS out to a grassy field and lay it gently on its side. Now try to lift it upright lying on the left side and the right. If you can't lift it alone, you're overpacked. I packed like you did for this trip and have been shedding gear constantly but still must unpack my bike to lift it after a fall. It's not much fun scrambling to get your bike upright on a mountain road before a truck roars around a corner if you have to unpack gear.

Also the GS when fully loaded can be quite tippy on the sidestand. Take a hockey puck attached by a cord to your handlebars and place it under the sidestand when you park. Then when you sit in the saddle again, simply reel in the puck. Simple, but it works.
  15. OK Lucinda

OK Lucinda n00b

Oddometer:
    Even allowing for camping and hiking, that is way too much gear.
    coors likes this.
  16. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you contact www.dakarmotos.com?
    dwj - Donnie likes this.
  17. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

Has Canada Air resumed their air transport to South America? They did at one time, but then stopped due to the corruption of dealing with the folks down there. They fly motos to Europe really cheap if you buy you flight with them as well.
  18. goodcat

Oddometer:
    I checked Air Canada before I left. And its still just Europe (France & England) and only certain months of the year. So i was told by the Cargo shipping dept.
    But it might change?
    dwj - Donnie likes this.
  19. NZRalphy

NZRalphy I'm not half as good as I think I thought I was

Oddometer:
    One thing worth trying..... If you remove the passenger seat you can relocate the top box mounting frame to this position. It will help with stability as it can move a lot of weight from behind the axle to just over it. Just my 2c.
    goodcat likes this.
  20. Sparky.marky

Oddometer:
    When I checked awhile ago, SA was not on the list.
    Dakar Motos said roughly 2400 +/- A lot better, but still not worth it considering my bike will be worth half that when I get down there! They seem like great people, and have been extremely helpful though. When I inquired, they sent me back a detailed message.