1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Canada2Argentina - Going outside to play for 6 months!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by marcoue, Jul 8, 2016.

1. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Travelling, no matter with which means of transport, undeniably involves difficult choices when it comes to clothes.

You must find the right balance between what you want versus what you need versus what can be brought!

Whether you’re on a backpack trip to Europe, a Machu Picchu expedition or a 6-month motorcycle trip, I have learned over the years that with good choices, it is possible to travel several weeks with a limited amount of garments.

For this trip, I have planned for 4 types of clothing:
    • Casual
    • Sports (walking or jogging)
    • Dressed (for the exits at the restaurant)
    • Cool or rainy weather
    My firsts criteria for a piece of equipment are always quality, efficiency and durability. Nothing is more unpleasant than relying on something that lets you down along the way.

Second, it must be versatile.

Take for example the Arenite jacket from Arc’teryx.

[​IMG]
    Arc’teryx Arenite jacket

It is useful for trekking, for a cool evening in town and even for more formal occasions like an evening at a restaurant or something a bit more chic. It’s a highly technical item that provides a more formal look if necessary.

The final criteria is, wherever possible, items that do not wrinkle, or at least, very little.

For example, the polyester knit tees by The North Face. I recently went for a 2 week trip to England with only 3 of these. Easy to wash by hand, strong fabric and no wrinkles! They are versatile, can be worn comfortably while visiting a city and also for a serious day trekking on a mountain.

[​IMG]
    The North Face t-shirt

A major challenge for me is shoes! I’m worse than a girl when it come to footwear! As mentioned in a previous articles, I decided to ride the motorcycle with a pair of hiking boots. This eliminates the need to pack an additional pair and a major saving in packing space and weight.

Reluctantly, I’m going to bring a pair of running shoes as I hope and need to find time to do some running in order to keep fit. I’ll also have a pair of casual leather shoes that can be used while going for dinner on a cool evening. Those shoes from Frye are very durable and can be worn with jeans or shorts.

[​IMG]
    Sports shoes from Frye

Obviously, I’ll need sandals. I’ll wear a pair of Reef’s for the beach and evenings.

[​IMG]
    Reef sandals

For rainy days and cool evenings, or while hiking and camping, I will carry my shell jackets and trousers and an insulated jacket that packs very compact.

[​IMG]
    The North face shell
    [​IMG]
    Zeta LT pants from Arc’teryx
    [​IMG]
    Arenite vest by The North Face

Here is my list:

Clothing Comments Price
    Arenite Jacket Arc’teryx 200,00
    Down insulated jacket North Face 200,00
    Shell jacket North Face 600,00
    Shell pants Arc’teryx 600,00
    Shorts - The Noth Face 100,00
    Shorts – Bathing suit 75,00
    Shorts – Jogging Arc’teryx 75,00
    Convertible pants The North Face 100,00
    Jeans Levis 100,00
    Long sleeves sweaters – Dressed North face 100,00
    Long sleeves sweaters – Sport North Face 100,00
    T-shirts – Sport 3X North face 150,00
    T-shirts – Sport 2X Icebraker 160,00
    Shirt – Dressed 1X 150,00
    Sox – Small – Shoes and running shoes 2X 20,00
    Sox – thin – for moto (liners) 2X 25,00
    Boxers Arc’teryx 2X 75,00
    Sun glasses MEC 30,00
    Cap for hiking OR 45,00
    Jogging pants (will serve as long johns when riding in cold conditions) 100,00
    Shoes – Dressed (Sport) Fry 125,00
    Running Shoes Asic’s 160,00
    Sandals Reef – Fanning 70,00

Total: 2800,00

The next post will cover electronics.
  2. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do not deny it, I love electronic gadgets! My iPhone, camera, GPS and laptop will be essential tools for me on this trip.

My ongoing challenge is to bring only what is absolutely necessary while making sure to have the tools needed to communicate, navigate, picture, save and share those memories!

Let’s start with communications. I’ll have my iPhone 6s Plus. It will be installed (and powered) on the handlebars of my motorcycle and will allow me to easily communicate with the outside world while making available navigation apps like Google Map and Maps.me.

[​IMG]
    Google Map on iPhone

The main GPS navigation will be done via my old Garmin Zumo 550. My family, friends and curious will be able to follow me through a Spot GPS device.

[​IMG]
    Garmin Zumo 550 GPS
    [​IMG]
    Spot GPS Tracker

With respect to photography, I had to make big sacrifices. Indeed, I would have loved to bring my Canon 5D and all of its premium lenses. However, its value and its weight make risky and difficult to transport. So I turned to a cheap point and shoot camera. The model is a Canon SX610H. I’m still surprised by the quality of the images when light is good, and a rather powerful zoom. I would have loved to have a little GoPro, but it was out of my budget.

[​IMG]
    Canon Powershot SX610 HS

To manage my files and update this blog, I will carry a MacBook Air and 2 small hard drives to save the data.

[​IMG]
    MacBook Air 13″

[​IMG]
    Western Digital My Passeport portable drive

Everything is secured in waterproof bags. You never know when one will drop the bike in a river!

Electronics – Photography Comments Price
    MacBook Air 13″ & Charger Apple 1 600,00
    External hard drive (and micro-usb wire) Western Digital 2 TB (2X) 250,00
    Aqua-Quest Waterproof Laptop Case 15″ 40,00
    iPhone 6s Plus, charger, wire Apple 1 400,00
    Headphones – Sports Bose 90,00
    iPhone 6 cover and raincover puncho Quad Lock 95,00
    Camera – Canon SX610H 250,00
    Tripod (mini) Mansfrotto 50,00
    Adaptors – Argentine Type 1 10,00
    Adaptors – Peru, Chile… Type 3 10,00
    total: 3790,00

Next article will cover travel documents!.

And the real story begins in 6 days! Stay tuned!
  3. SFKLR01

SFKLR01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh my goodness, that's a huge packing list. I can say from experience that you might have more fun and less worry with just the iPhone and nothing else. It is your camera, GPS, dictaphone, and backup solution in one. Just download GPS maps before you go, forget phone sim, use wifi phone apps. Charge as you go w 12 volt-usb adapter. Wifi is available almost everywhere you'll stop. If not, you probably won't get a cell signal there either. You can upload, synch, post, and make phone calls, update maps, upload routes, edit video, say hi to fam & friends. Save tons of space, save tons of money, tons of time. I sound like an apple geek, but I'm not. I just enjoy traveling light.

All the best on your journey.
    Cmnthead and Sparky.marky like this.
  4. NZRalphy

NZRalphy I'm not half as good as I think I thought I was

Oddometer:
    Dude..... You are taking 4x pair of shorts !!!! And 5x T shirts!!!!!

Please take some return home post bags cos you'll be sending stuff home when you realise 1x and 1x will do it
    james928 and WhicheverAnyWayCan like this.
  5. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I revised the lists to reflect a few things I removed when I packed. But I'm afraid I won't be wearing the same t-shirt for 6 months! ;)
  6. Conundrum29

Conundrum29 Unter den Linden

Oddometer:
    And I always consider this - even when everything seems tightly secured into locked panniers: can I leave the bike and my worthy belongings unattended for 30 minutes without being spotted and/or looted? If I have to go into some places with a need everytime to unload in order to avoid getting robbed then no...I would rather leave at home all the electronics except the iPhone and the Spot tracker!
  7. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very good point.

The Spot tracker and the iPhone are the only couple of things not locked on the bike but easy to remove and take along.

Everything else is, including the backpack, which is in a Packsafe net, locked. I kept the top box empty to store my helmet if needed.
  8. Conundrum29

Conundrum29 Unter den Linden

Oddometer:
    GSAs get looked at all the times...:D
  9. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    Now im having a very hard time believing that everything you listed all fits in 2 panniers and a top bag with your top case empty all weighing in at 37kgs !!!!!

Are you a magician by trade? Lol

I don't carry half of what you have and Im going RTW

Im following this RR with great interest
    damasovi and WhicheverAnyWayCan like this.
  10. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It does! 2 side boxes and a 45 litres backpack. Top box empty. I've worked hard to keep it this way. A list may seem long on paper, but when it comes down to size and weight, I was very careful and it is not as bad as it seams.

Anyways, I'm not posting about my prep anymore, too many negative comments!

Next posts will be the real thing! 4 days to go.
    OtterChaos, GraniteStateGS and ontrip like this.
  11. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    See ya in 4 days amigo and happy trails
  13. johnnywheels

johnnywheels Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let me know if your route brings you through Jackson, Mississippi. We're half way between Memphis & New Orleans. You have a place to stay here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. motopoet

motopoet The Moto Poet

Oddometer:
    Hey Marcou, please dont be discouraged form posting prep. I am fascinated and have learned much from your posts. I know this is a tough crowd but everyone has a different style :) Thank you for taking the time to share and go into depth, i look forward to continue to follow you here!

I will be leaving NY in November, heading to South America so I'm sure your trip will be very educational for me.

Merci,

Ride on friend, enjoy!
  15. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A modest suggestion: Reconsider your decision for hiking boots, vs. motorcycle boots. Reason: Proper motorcycle boots offer much greater protection for feet/ankles/legs in motorcycle crash scenarios. Feet/ankle/leg injuries remain common in bike lay-downs; wouldn't want a GS1200 riding one of my extremities along the road with any footwear, but certainly not with a hiking boot. For example, a hinged-ankle SIDI Adventure Rain Boot (or equivalent) might save you from an opportunity to practice Spanish extensively, while laid up in a Latin American hospital.

Judging from your other gear, a quality motorcycle boot appears within your means.

All this said, only a suggestion; your trip, your choice!
  17. rony05

rony05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Leaving today right?

Good luck. Lots fun!
  18. bugdung

bugdung Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ride safe and good luck.:lurk
  19. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Do they offer more protection? If your talking a soft basic dayhiking boot then yes an adventure boot does offer more protection... But if you pick a high top hiking boot that is rated for backpacking and mountain trekking then the protection is there... Compared to many of the listed as adventure boots the solid built hiking boot will protect the lower foot more and offer more torsional rigidity to stop foot twisting and rocking... The riding boot does go higher so will protect upper shin more, but wearing strap on knee pads will cover into the top of the hiking boot... Where the hiking boot wins is that you can comfortably walk for miles in them meaning 1 pair of footwear performs double duty.. That all been said it does appear the the boot chosen for this journey does not rise very high above the ankle..

Is it possible that in a riding boot your hubby may still of broken his leg? The riding boot will protect to a point, but it is possible that if you isolate the lower leg a twisting injury may get transferred further up the leg... There are a lot of adventure riders who have broken their legs in motorcycle boots..

The best protection is offered by an MX style boot with brace style re-enforcements, but try walking in them...

For the people giving the op a hard time for not taking 1 pair of shorts, 1 shirt, 1 of everything, look what he is riding, a big, heavy motorcycle.... I don't really think the multiple clothing items he has listed is going to make that much difference and a lot of the stuff shown looks like lightweight backpacking items..
  20. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    Good travels Marc and I hope to see you on the road although I did change my Stahlratte date from the 14th to the 21st so we won't be on the same boat.