Canada's Best Kept Secret: 500km from the nearest paved road, solo in Northern BC.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Crooked Creek, Jul 6, 2012.

1. riverflow

riverflow Half Built

Oddometer:
    Still subbed and waiting on it.
  2. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    Yes please. Would love to read more.
  3. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:
  4. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)

:*sip*
  5. Truenorth2005

Truenorth2005 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw the notification come up today and thought ALRIGHT, now we get the rest of the story.
    Bring it on.
  6. mikerthebiker

mikerthebiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome thread. As a noob in the ADV riding world (40 years on road sofas - yes, I once owned 2 HD's. The first one and the last one!) that Yamaha has my interest tweaked as I was thinking of a much bigger bike (Tenere). Not to hijacker this thread, as I'm waiting with baited breath for more, but why don't any ADVers ride the 450?
    CC, I'm in the GP Area regularity and every time I pass Crooked Creek's Ice Cream Cone, I think of your pictures.
  7. Crooked Creek

Crooked Creek Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which 450 are you talking about? WR450F? No Yamaha 450 factory street legal bikes to be had as of yet?

If you're in the area again, feel free to stop in and say hi, or at least get a donut at the Crooked Creek store. Best in the world, I tell ya. :freaky
  8. Crooked Creek

Oddometer:
    Oh yes. Here.

[​IMG]

500 kms from the nearest paved road.

These Feathercraft packrafts are actually very durable for a 10 lb craft. I've run them over beaver dams without incident.

But this time there was an incident.

The only reason there is a road into this area at all is GOLD. And it turns out that the miners haven't been super careful. Because somehow a big ol' timber made it's way into little Jock Creek. And said timber had and 8" steel spike sticking out of it.

Not good. Not good.
  9. DaleE

DaleE TransAlp Adv

Oddometer:
    Glad to see the story continuing. Since I have at least one wilderness packraft trip planned this summer (Alatna in Alaska) I'm curious to see how your repair went.

Also wondering how you mounted your camera to the front of the boat as seen in the beaver dam video. Seemed pretty stable.

Thanks
  10. Crooked Creek

Oddometer:
    Alatna should be awesome. On the Feathercraft, for that video all I did there was slip the head mount that comes with the GoPro under the grab handle and pull it tight. Worked ok until you get in really bouncy stuff.

For the Grand Canyon this January, I bought a $5 chest mount off eBay and cam strapped it to the front 4 tie-down points. This works quite well.

I used that system on all the front shots here.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sEKl2F2qPr0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I really like the behind the shoulder angle though. Just need to figure out a more solid way to mount it.

<div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script><div class="fb-post" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10155067671135231" data-width="466"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10155067671135231">Post</a> by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/ben.brochu">Ben Brochu</a>.</div></div>
  11. riverflow

riverflow Half Built

Oddometer:
    Awesome, it's back!

On a side note, I'm thinking about heading up to BC this summer and exploring Kemess Mine a little. Also, either Omineca or Spatsizi Plateau park. Any opinion on those?
  12. Crooked Creek

Oddometer:
    Sweet! If you're coming by Crooked Creek, let me know.

If you're planning on riding the Cassiar (and you should at some point), the Spatsizi is hard to beat. Lots of details on that in the threads in my sig if you haven't seen them. The Omineca area is nice (and the fishing is good) but the scenery is not comparable with the Spatsizi and the first bit of logging roads have industrial traffic.
  13. riverflow

riverflow Half Built

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I'm allergic to fish, so fishing isn't usually on the top of my list.

I'm hoping I won't be too strapped for time, but I also have to drive past Colorado, Yellowstone, and Idaho to get there, so if time gets tight I'll go to one of those instead.

Which side do you enter Spatsizi from? I'm thinking about hiking in Tatlatui from the mine side (SE) and trying to get to Spatsizi from there. Do any trail maps/lists exist?

I might look at renting/purchasing a pack raft and paddling my way out on the Peace or Sitkine if I could find a lift back to my bike. That would be much easier if I could eat fish. Oh well.

Edit: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871511

After looking through a few pics, I need to get to Spatsizi soon. It's just another step above the rest of the rockies.
    There's also Mount Assiniboine. I could go summit that. That'd be neat.

If you aren't doing anything the last week of July and first week or two of August, let me know and we might be able to figure something out.
  14. Crooked Creek

Oddometer:
    Now you're talking :evil. There are no marked trails/maps as far as I know in that area at all. Remember, this is as remote as you can get in North America outside of the Arctic. But that said, if you know what you're doing, it's not far at all to get into the Stikine River. Rafting UP the Toodoggone and through Mesantan pass if probably the easiest way, but there looks to be an alpine route as well. Keep in mind that you probably won't get much farther than I did on the bike unless you have help up the washouts.

It will be much cheaper to buy a packraft and then re-sell it if necessary, as they hold their value very well. By "Peace" river, do you mean Finlay? You could run that into Fort Ware (which I was going to do), but keep in mind that there are class IV rapids and 4 or 5 major canyons and you may die :D. Stikine river is no joke either. Canoed it via the Spatsizi River and the rail grade in 2011. You're looking at around 300 km to the the road and a day long shuttle. And some major rapids with glacial water. Most people take 2-3 weeks, but we did it in 5 days of hard paddling in high water.

But I do have 2 packrafts, so if you end up doing it, let me know :wink:.

p.s. If you want to climb Assiniboine, you're going to need mountaineering gear. Way too many people out there for me, but Banff ect is worth driving through.
  15. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl ignore list Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes!!! He's back..... Listen, I might need some advice on how to introduce young kids to the outdoors. We're adopting, C section scheduled on march 16th....yikes.

Can't wait for the continuation......
  16. riverflow

riverflow Half Built

Oddometer:
    My goal would be more or less to go a week without seeing anyone I didn't explicitly search for. I can hold my own in the wilderness. My major concern is only having kayaked a few times. I'm an excellent swimmer, but sometimes that can't help you.

And yeah, I meant the Finlay. I got a step ahead of myself, as I've also looked at heading all the way to the arctic at some point. Take a river down the mountains to the Finlay/Peace/Mackenzie and just keep going until it ends. Head back to Inuvik and figure out what to do next.

As soon as I figure out how much time I have, I can solidify some plans. Also deciding between doing more riding or expeditioning. I think I may need an expedition straight to the middle of nowhere by then. I'll let you know what I figure out.

If I get pressed for time I'll probably end up on the CO BDR or hiking in Yellowstone. We'll see.
  17. DaleE

DaleE TransAlp Adv

Oddometer:
    Lots of good footage in the Grand video. I need to get down there again. My trips were all spring/summer/fall. The extended trip length of a winter trip sounds nice, but the shorter days and colder temps aren't as appealing.

Paco padding Hermit. Been there, done that. What a hoot.

It was nice seeing all the different packrafts in use and I particularly like the review of the kokopelli. I didn't find out about them until after I got my Alpacka otherwise I might have looked harder at it, especially since they nearby. Trying to convince some of the other guys on our Alatna trip to look at them so I'll send them a link to your review.

Obligatory pic. Me just before having to roll in Granite.

[​IMG]
  18. DaleE

DaleE TransAlp Adv

Oddometer:
    I've given this book to a few friends with kids and they said they found some useful info in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Parents-Kids-Getting-Outdoors/dp/1896980708

The trick is to start them early. One girl is 12 and already has over 4000 river miles (started when she was still in a car seat).
  19. Crooked Creek

Oddometer:
    Cool. Nothing real technical on either of those trips, but still risky by yourself. Most of my friends on the Grand Canyon trip it was their first time packrafting (and they had never kayaked) and they figured it out real quick. Much easier to self rescue and with a drysuit, swimming was a minor problem because of the size of our group. Let me know if you end up going.

Sweet. The Alpacka's pack smaller, but the Kokopellis are hard to beat for the price. If you drop my name to the guys there, you might be able to get a deal, especially if you get multiple. The Nirvana (the new WW model I tested) comes out in the spring.
  20. Crooked Creek

Oddometer:
    I was wondering if you had given up on me. Great to hear you're still along for the ride. And congrats on becoming a mom. Adoption is a beautiful thing.

As far as introducing kids to the outdoors, just do it :D. They are more adaptable than we are. Don't have to be hardcore, like these guys below, but be yourselves and bring the kids along. Go at their pace and let them explore.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bw9TcSGI2mw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>