Canada's Best Kept Secret: 500km from the nearest paved road, solo in Northern BC.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Crooked Creek, Jul 6, 2012.

1. riverflow

riverflow Half Built

Oddometer:
    Make sure you know proper backwoods etiquette so you can teach them how to stay safe and keep the land in good shape!
  2. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dude, yer killin me. :lol3

Pretty soon I'm going to start making up my own version of what I think happened, and it will involve you stealing a bubble gum wrapper full of grubs from a starving Les Stroud, and fighting off Mike Holmes, wanting to do a full makeover after he found mildew on the kayak.
  3. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I think he has already done his yearly update, you might have to wait till 2016 for the next installment, these things take time<label for="rb_iconid_28">:evil</label>
  4. riverflow

riverflow Half Built

Oddometer:
    This isn't really relevant to OP's story, but I hope I won't be able to visit you this summer because I'm applying for a position as a wildland firefighter based in Fairbanks and possibly a park ranger in Yellowstone and a few other places.

I digress.
  5. longrides1

longrides1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great read, awesome pics. :clap

Did you carry extra gas besides your bike tank?
  6. Crooked Creek

Crooked Creek Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nope, didn't need to carry gas. Have a 600km range if I take it easy (which I didn't haha), and had arranged with the outfitter at Black Lake to buy fuel from him.
  7. faysal

faysal Explorer

Oddometer:
    Anyone who's done this - especially solo - is in my hero books.:bow
  8. Crooked Creek

Oddometer:
    Dude, I am proving you right. Sorry.
  9. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those of us that have been following your wild trips are aware of your other loves and we can find other things to do as we await your new/next wild trip!!

Hugs to you, wife and kids, have a great safe summer.
    gale
  10. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Ha, I'm just kidding around, no matter finish it when time works for you, but do finish it.. Then maybe years down the road you can show the ride reports to your grand kids to prove that some of the tall tales you've been telling them may actually be true ...
  11. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:

*cough*

:y0! :-)
    jfman likes this.
  12. Turbodog1000

Turbodog1000 Vintage Rider

Oddometer:
    We have been left up a "Crooked Creek" without a boat, paddle, or end of a great story!!
  13. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl ignore list Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I have to catch up with Ben's stories on the FB.....and I'll admit, I've not seen a bike in one of them.!
  14. 1upNORTH

1upNORTH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe it's time for some fan fiction. Someone else write the end to this story
  15. riverflow

riverflow Half Built

Oddometer:
    I've even forgotten where we were? What happened last?
  16. Crooked Creek

Oddometer:
    Haven't had much time to get out, but have a Super Sherpa now...
  17. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    I appears to me that LIFE has caught up with you! With wife, kids, job, chores, etc. sometimes there is precious little time left for anything else. Don't worry, in about 20 years when the last of the kids are out of the house (if you prepare them properly they really will leave) you can pick this story back up :D. Don't ask me how I came by this certain knowledge...

I had a KLR250 for a long time that was a most capable and stone reliable motorcycle; the Super Sherpa is it's younger sister and will likely be just as solid. It's probably less of a dirt bike than the WR250R, but still an excellent motorcycle. I hope you have many pleasant experiences on it! Have a great Winter up there!

Doug
  18. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl ignore list Supporter

Oddometer:
    I flogged the crap out of one of those back in '06.....it was a great bike! Sold it to a dad who was going to chase his kid around the woods with it. What the heck do you do for a living anyway Ben?
  19. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think a few pages back in the thread (three or four years ago :D) he said he's a back country guide (hunting, fishing, rafting, etc.). A guy I once knew when I lived in Wyoming (his kids were friends with mine) used to guide in Alaska in their summer and Patagonia in theirs; his photos and stories were awesome and I was very jealous of his lifestyle. Talking with him over time, though, the shine came off for me because he had to spend so much time away from his family it was tearing them all apart. I've worked jobs where I had to be away for long periods and I can tell you it's very hard on a marriage, and I missed a lot of stuff that went on as my kids grew up. I hope Ben can keep it all together; his family seems to be awesome (wife must be an angel :nod), supportive, and involved and I think that is just fantastic. Good on all of them!

Doug
  20. Crooked Creek

Oddometer:
    I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you :rofl. And I wouldn't do that to a new mom.

I worked as a hunting guide before I was married, but I'm home every day now. Have adjusted my adventuring, for the most part, to more family friendly activities.

[​IMG]