Canadian Border Crossing Info. Needed!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Boojum, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Boojum

Boojum I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer:
    I am planning on attending the IDC Bash in Aug. and hope to get up to Banff N.P. in Canada after the Rally. I was in Canada (Waterton-Alberta) about 2 years ago, and crossed the border outside Babb, MT. I crossed the border then with an Original copy of my Birth Cert. and my Photo Drivers Lic. I am under the understanding that the "Rules" have changed.
    What's the deal now for getting into Canada via MT. Must I have a Passport?
    Doesn't that take a while to obtain stateside? :huh If anyone has any updated information on just what is required to cross the border, I would appreciate it. Is there a Dirt Way to croos up that way?

Much Thanks,
    Boojum!
    :freaky
  2. leadvegas

leadvegas I want to see your uvula

Oddometer:
    You can still use your birth cert. until the end of next year (or maybe it's the end of this year, but I'm pretty sure it's the end of 2006).

If you put in for your passport now, you'll have it by August.
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you've posted in the wrong area, that's ok, the mods will move it.

You can still get into Canada the same way you did the last time. Passports for Americans are not yet required. if the US will insist that Canadians entering must have passports, then Canada may reciprocate the aggravation.
  4. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you'll still be ok with license and birth certificate coming into Canada. It's changing the other way in terms of us Canadians needing a passport to get into the U.S, but americans are still welcome here.
    I would double check with canadian immigration however.
  5. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero Antique Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They get a little upset over driver's licenses only.They keep a picture on State side of one of the 911 pilot's drivers licenses.Check out Hwy 40 and 940 south of Exshaw.Real nice road.I also crossed at Chief Mountain (HWY 6 in Canada or 17 in Montana).I only had to wait for 2 minutes to cross.Road was a trip too.
  6. Boojum

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the mis-post, as I felt it would be moved. Sorry Fitz!
    Thanks for the info. as I feel better now knowing I can cross in the same fashion I did last time. Thanks Guys!

Boojum!
  7. Boojum

Oddometer:
    The Gravel Road up the west side of Glacier N.P. going to Polebridge, Mt. You are 22 miles from Canada at Polebridge. If I follow that on out, Is there a border crossing out that road??? :ear

Boojum!
  8. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    I used my passport for BYOB and back. Makes life much easier, I've found, to use one all the time anyways. Send off for yours, and you'll get it in plenty of time, plus it handy to have available. That and renewal is quicker once you have one, and you will need one.
  9. TrvlGrvl

TrvlGrvl Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. Boojum

Oddometer:
    Thanks Guys! Good to Meet YOU at BYOB Drif! :thumb

Boojum!
  11. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    All I have ever shown is my drivers license. I cross several times every year.
    Enjoy the trip.
  12. Boojum

Oddometer:
    OK, I just returned from the Post Office with my application for a Passport.
    I think I'll take the word of "Drif10" and see if it will prove to be the easy way in & out of the country. Thanks to EVERYONE and their 2 cents! :thumb

Boojum!
  13. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
    Hi Marty, Last year I got hasseled at both the Can. and US border with only a driver's license. Best to have a BC or Passport these days.
  14. leadvegas

leadvegas I want to see your uvula

Oddometer:
    It's not that much easier to cross with a passport, but it is a lot easier to tote along than a paper document. You will be required to have the passport for any border crossing sooner or later anyway, so you may as well get it now.

Per Travel.State.Gov,

To Be Implemented By:

The travel initiative requirements will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed implementation timeline is as follows:

• December 31, 2005 – Passport or other accepted document required for all travel (air/sea) to or from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America.
    • December 31, 2006 – Passport or other accepted document required for all air and sea travel to or from Mexico and Canada.
    • December 31, 2007 – Passport or other accepted document required for all air, sea and land border crossings.
  15. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    If you encounter a female Canadian border official that isn't rude, please lemme know.
  16. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    I found one crossing into Ontario in 2002. She was about 18 and wanted to go with me, she said. I think she was just being nice to an old fart.

I wouldn't worry about getting into Canada as much as getting back into the US. You have a 50-50 chance of getting an asshole for a customs inspector.
  17. Kaumajet

Kaumajet H.I.D. Positive

Oddometer:
    Customs Inspectors are only human, after all :lol3

The passport will speed things up for sure. I cross the border several dozen times a year, and always carry it. I've always found the customs types on both sides to be OK :dunno
  18. AKBMW

AKBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just had driver License piece of cake.
  19. powderhound2

powderhound2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've crossed several times in the last couple years, always with a passport (US), and it's kinda tossup who hassles you. At the BC crossing in Osoyoos they're super cool. The last time I was through there (march) the guy didn't even ask for my passport, just where i was going, and why. He seemed more interested in travelling me getting around on my bike.

But at a crossing up south of Vancouver, one of the officers got all confrontational with me about the ownership of my bike. We got it squared away though, just make sure you take your helmet off and earplugs out:).

I've almost had more trouble getting back into the US, they seem to have some ego issues at the big crossings. Just be polite. And like a lot of people have said, get your passport, avoids uneeded hassles. Good luck, Canada kicks ass!
  20. Stand Up

Stand Up Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer:
    Lots of dirt from US to Coleman, Alberta (no details YET!). From Coleman, take the Trunk Road to HWY 40 Junction, 100 ft pavement then on Powderface Trail. This leads to some rough blacktop that takes you west into Kananaskis Country or east on gravel to 10 miles outside Calgary. I plan on going to Idaho, see you there.

Trunk Road
    [​IMG]

Short side trip "HWY" 532
    [​IMG]