Canadian Border Crossing Info. Needed!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Boojum, Jun 8, 2005.

1. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
    AK, you may have been lucky. Better to be prepared for the customs officers with a bad attitude that would love to spoil a rider's vacation by being an ass and refusing entry.

I've also been carrying those stupid little non-resident insurance cards for years but have never been asked to show them!!
  2. Snuffy

Snuffy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to carry that insurance card also. I asked my insurance guy about it the other day and was told it was no longer required. I searched Canadian Customs and did not see it as a requirement. Should i trust my insurance guy, or is this card required?:ear
  3. redseca2

redseca2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a new one the other day. My insurance agent didn't question the request. But I've had a sneaking suspicion that the only situation where having the card would help would be if you ran across an evil tempered cop in Quebec who won't accept your regular insurance docs because they aren't in French. That it is really just about the dual labels on the card: "effective date/date d'entree en viguer" etc; and past issues of Quebec seperatism.
  4. vanveen

vanveen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    don't like to say it but I work as a customs officer above montana, there is no requirement to have a passport to cross into Canada, the U.S. is trying to implement a passport requirement for dec of 2006, us canuks will have to have one to get thru to Mexico unfortunately, when that happens U.S. citizens should have one so they can expedite their re-entry into the U.S., the truth is that if you show up at a border crossing and claim U.S. citizenship, even if you have nothing, they have to prove your not a U.S. citizen before they can refuse you entry, however this can sometimes take a long time, and who wants to spend their holidays in a office talking to some beaurecrat, so carry a passport, it makes you look like a seasoned traveller, north or south when crossing a border, helmets off, earplugs out, listen and answer only the questions asked, all we want to establish is if you are a legitmate tourist or not, short people and women are sometimes cranky with sore backs because they have to carry a heavier badge
  5. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Here's a story for you. I used to cross pretty routinely, but my (now) ex-wife never had. So we went across to see the sights for a day, very routine. Then re-entering the US, the officer spoke to me a bit and then asked the wife "so ma'am, were you born in the US also?". Wife just nods (silently). "MA'AM, WERE YOU BORN IN THE U.S" Another silent nod...

I think the officer was about to get her out of the truck when I said to her WOULD YOU PLEASE ANSWER HIM SO THAT HE CAN HEAR THAT YOU SPEAK ENGLISH.....
  6. R-1150-RS

R-1150-RS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it really necessary to remove your helmet and earplugs?

That can take a fair amount of time, and I would think it better to ask the official if that's what he would prefer first.

No sense holding up the line unnecessarily.

Gary
    :) :)
  7. kiwiross31

kiwiross31 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I go back and forth all the time.
    Earplugs out if you want to hear the ????
    Sunglasses off so they can see your mug.
    Helmet off, period
    Engine off so you don't poison the custom agent with fumes.
    Answer only their questions.
    No guns going into Canada
    Dim headlight on the approach.
    Don't be a smart ass, but be friendly.:D
    Don't worry about the line behind you, cause you have to do what you have to do.
  8. AKBMW

AKBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right keith I should have said I had passport and ins card too.
  9. dirtrider

dirtrider Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There used to be. It's been closed for years. Too bad as it's a nice ride through the North Fork to get there. If you want, you can still ride to Polebridge and stay north on the North Fork road to Trail Creek Road. Stay on Trail Creek which turns into Graves Creek road and it will drop you out on Hwy 93 just south of Eureka. This is also part of the route used for the Great Divide Trail. It's very beautiful and easy to follow.

I cross the border frequently and as soon as I show them my passport, they never ask to see anything else.
  10. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    It will hold the line up if the border agent gets a complex about the helmeted guy with sunglasses who can't hear..... :ear . I believe that I will be removing my helemt, ear plugs and have my docs handy. I'm sure the folks lined up behind me will appreciate my cooperation.
  11. dirtrider

dirtrider Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why don't you like to say it? I would think it would be an honor to protect your countries borders. It's an important job. You stop drug runners, kidnappers, and terrorists from entering your country.

You offer good advice. I cross at Rooseville quite a few times a year to ride dirt bike or go to car shows and I've found the Canadian entry to be no problem with courteous and professional officers.

The officers on the American side coming back are professional also, but lack a complete and total sence of humor and generally seem to have a chip on thier shoulders.

Maybe it's just me. :dunno
  12. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    This site has a subject matter expert on damn near anything. Thanks for decloaking, vanveen. Your comments are appreciated.

I've been passing back and forth through the US / CA border since 1970 and decided that last year I had pushed my luck far enough with the driver's license / birth certificate route. Felt mighty close to being denied entry for the last two years in a row. This year I picked up a passport jic. Amazingly easy to get and you can have one in less that two weeks if you pay the expedite fee at the USPS. For me it's not worth not having one anymore.
  13. Shazam*

Shazam* Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    and watch out in the middle where you stop at the booth.
    oily and slippy as all hell.