Canadian F800GS's?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by MoToad, Sep 10, 2008.

1. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:
    I ordered..
    BMW Engine guard
    BMW Wind deflectors (for fairing)
    BMW Handguards -aluminum bar
    BMW Handguards -plastic hand cover lg
    BMW Handguards -deflector that goes hand cover
    BMW connector to connect GPS

It'll be a bit over $600 (tx incl) when everything is said and done.

O yeah... I sat on the F800GS in the showroom (not mine...), I'd say it's a bit lower than the KLR, I can't quite flat foot it, but it didn't seem to have any suspension sag when I sat on it. Afte rbreaking in the suspension, I would say it'll be as high as my DR350SE.... SWEET!!!
  2. tipler

tipler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Zaner, is the one on the floor "loaded" (ABS etc...)?

Any news on yours? My latest update was mid-end october
  3. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:
    The one on the floor was loaded with ABS. It's going to a fella in Halifax IIRC.

No news on mine.. every time my cel rings, i pretty near have an anxiety attack!:dutch

I think mine will show at the same time as yours....
  4. tipler

tipler Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I react the same way :rofl

The dealer told me he could probably get me a bike by end of Sept but she would be fully loaded so I guess that's the one he was talking about.

Personally, I'm not expecting a call before Halloween.

Are you getting yours remapped to run on regular pump gas??
  5. kojiro

kojiro F800GS

Oddometer:
    I guess we're all in that second wave due by the 3rd week of Oct... so says the dealer...
  6. WarLlama

WarLlama belligerent cameloid

Oddometer:
    How would you go about doing that?
  7. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:
    I think i'll get it remapped. You lose a couple of HP, and it's supposed to be a bit harder on gas, but... to me it'll worth it. I might be doing a trip up through the James Bay rd next summer with it, I don't think you'll find much supreme in them parts of the woods.

When I was in their shop looking at the first batch of 800GS's they got, they were remapping the one that was going to Newfoundland. He said it takes about an hour or so to do the remap and update the software. I guess it's not a simple flick of the switch with the computer. I'm pretty sure he said something about having to recalibrate some sensor and other stuff.
  8. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting that photo - I was having second thoughts after ordering a "magnesium" , but your pic shows it looks as cool as I hoped (but damn, the yellow/black is nice too!)

I find that the BMW promo shots have such studio-ish lighting that it's hard to know what the bike will actually look like in real lighting. Pretty much all the beemers I've seen look *way* better in person than in the promo shots.

Enjoy!

P
  9. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I spoke to Blackfoot yesterday. They claim to have 30 on order for various delivery dates. They have a couple in now, but he said they will not be released until after they have their official dealer launch of the model later this month. Of the 30 that are coming, he said 6 are still available and unspoken for. For the launch party later this month, he said they will have two models to check out, one with the low seat and one with the standard height seat. I hope to be there to check them out, and hopefully will have the answers from my insurance company on my F650GS. If its what I am suspecting it will be, I will be placing my order then for an 800.
  10. tipler

tipler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only option I ordered for mine was the OBC. I'll get the BMW bash plate, TT hand guards and the SW-Motek crash bars seperate over the winter..

As for the remap I'm still 50/50. I was planning a trip to Labrador next summer and getting Supreme gas would be a problem in a few places along the TLH and the Quebec side. Plus there are plenty of places around here (newfoundland) where supreme gas can be hard to come by. But, then again I might leave her as is. Still undecided.

11. Gaucho del Norte

Gaucho del Norte Gaucho

Oddometer:
    They had two in crates at Blackfoot in Calgary on Friday.
  12. kojiro

kojiro F800GS

Oddometer:
    Any updates? Mine is apparently showing up next week....
  13. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:
    Mine is possibly going to show up next week too. Should know by tomorrow or Wed. Keeping my fingers crossed.
  14. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine has now been tracked and I expect to get it the first week of Nov. Sooner would be nicer. Guess it'll be here when it's here. Won't hold these guys to any set date cause that just don't happen. As for remapping, what's the point? If you have to use regular on occasion it doesn't mean the thing won't run. And when mid or hitest is available, well there ya go. Why mess with the way the bike is meant to perform? I've seen my buddy on his Duc Hailwood refuse to put anything but super hitest in it. to the point of almost running out of gas! God! The thing is not going to blow up or even die prematurely! I find it laughable.
  15. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also having ordered one, I'm really curious what's actually going on behind the scenes. What do the dealers actually know? How are the bikes tracked? Do all dealers in a given city get their stock at the same time?

My situation evolved from "we're getting a couple next week" (two weeks ago) to "we got a memo from BMW saying that deliveries will be within 20 days. As far as I can tell, the Montreal area dealer I'm working with has not had any in stock yet, but should now in the next two weeks.

I can imagine a dealer may want to keep the first bikes coming in on their showroom floor for a few days to satisfy local curiosity.

Good luck,

P
  16. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The two at my dealer were, of course, spoken for and I'm sure they are out the door now. No way the dealer can hold any of the deposit bikes back.
  17. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:
    Bad news today... Mine is only coming off the boat around the 28th. I felt like asking if a PTO could be installed as I could use to clear the snow out of my yard by then.

BMW Customer Satisfaction = Zilch!

#1 to put a deposit at my dealer, and #5 or 6 to receive a bike. And to think I was going to sell my DR and order a G450X next summer.... I don't F%^$%* think so!
  18. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    I'm only getting mine in Feb but today I got to see one for the first time. Way nicer than I expected. Last time I liked the way a bike looked this much was when the 1150s first came out. Bought that bike on the spot. I know there are other good bikes out there but they never really grabbed me. Same for the 1200gs, never did the trick for me. This thing is gorgeous....:clap
    Ordered the handguards, spoilers and deflectors and the big skid plate.....500$ :puke1. Forgot what it's like setting a new bike up the way I like it.....
  19. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain - I also was given a revised delivery date of Oct. 28. I was led to believe this was when it should arrive at the dealer, not when the *boat* would steam in! This after "first week in October" turned into "next 20 days" ... also have to add in a couple of days prep time in store I imagine.

Good luck - in Montreal there should be intermittent riding into December, depending on snow. I don't mind the cold, but obviously snow/ice is a problem.

Rick
  20. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can hardly believe it. Of the two at my dealers', somebody bailed on the one. It had pretty well the same extras as mine so they offered it to me. I went for it and, by the time we rolled it out the door it had started a hard cold rain. Got 20kms on it and am presently wiping and cleaning. But I can tell I'm gonna love this bike. A wee bit tall for me but I can get used to it. Too bad I have to work tomorrow.