Canadian F800GS's?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by MoToad, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It seems like there are (at least) two ways the production/delivery process could work:

one is that your order results in a specific bike getting built in Germany according to your options, and then it gets shipped over with the corresponding delays (i.e. orders now go to November production and January delivery, as one dealer told me).

the other is that BMW anticipates demand for certain option patterns and sends a certain number of bikes to different dealers independent of actual current orders (this does not preclude the first way). Potential buyers can line up to get these as they come in.

I assume I'm in the second situation, as the bikes (ABS, computer, centre stand, white signals) were "due to arrive any time" when I put my deposit down. It did not seem that there were too many buyers in line at this particular dealer, which is a bit surprising given the interest I've seen on this thread and others. Apparently they were waiting on two bikes, and I was the second to put a deposit.

Gotta stop thinking about it...
  2. fyr

fyr iRoast Coffee

Oddometer:
    I may look into this 800.
    Ill want the bike in March.. When should I look at ordering? Supply should be caught up by then yeah?
  3. kojiro

kojiro F800GS

Oddometer:
    I went to the dealer yesterday, and he said he was waiting for the "fax" (people still use faxes?) with the VINs and delivery info and that I should get it next week. But if you guys are mentioning the 28th, we may all be on the same boat...
  4. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:
    I understand they want to deliver to the masses, and the configuration of my bike is probably not part of the most popular one (Grey, the works, hold the ABS). But to schedule(April), and reschedule(Sept), and reschedule(Nov) seems to be a bit perturbing to me. I mean jeez, there's a whole riding season lost here. How can the miss scheduling for a whole riding season? :topes I hope the bike is worth waiting for, and from what I read, it is.:jose
  5. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put my order in yesterday for March delivery. The dealer said the build time is around 6-8 weeks from the time the order is placed to the bike being ready for delivery. Then its just shipping time after that. They said they will have a few extra bikes available too, but I don't see any need to have it sooner since I won't be able to ride it much if at all before that anyway. No point wasting good warranty time.
  6. tipler

tipler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's what I keep thinking aboot......

I wonder if mine is in the same October 28-ish batch as yours (only farkle was the OBC) ?
  7. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oct 28 seems to be a recurring theme. we need Mafia Boy to hack into BMW's computers to find out what's really going on...

I'm leaving for a two week business trip in Europe on November 11, so it's not looking good. It sort of made sense to start the warranty clock at the beginning of October when I was told "next week" but now it seems less and less worth it...

Here's a dumb question: anyone know if the Vario top case for the 800GS is big enough to hold a full-face helmet?
  8. fyr

fyr iRoast Coffee

Oddometer:
    I hear you. Old man winter is going to blow in soon anyways might as well wait.:evil
    I went down to my local Motorrad dealer here in Ottawa.. They had a grey 800 with the 1-1/2 inch lowered seat. Felt good sitting on it, although Id get the normal set up. Something to think about for the winter I 'spose. (Unless an old airhead GS rears it's head on the used classifieds:D )
  9. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:
    How much does he charge???:evil
  10. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think he's gone straight. (Mafia Boy is Michael Calce - he was the 15-year old hacker from Montreal who broke into the systems of several major corporations; he got caught... and just wrote a book)

For $99 (per month - for a twelve month contract) you can sign up at http://www.importgenius.com and track container shipments into the US. Not sure if they have access to Canadian shipments. This might or might not provide any useful information. Too bad they don't have a free trial...

Rick
  11. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:
    I dunno Tip, maybe send the salesguy an email or call??
  12. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This thread reminds me so much of another 'hot' new commodity that was eagerly awaited by many customers with frustratingly long delay times - when the iPhone came out in Canada I saw this thread on HowardForums that is almost a carbon copy of this one, except replace "phone" with "motorcycle" :

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1397406&page=88&pp=15

It's amazing how frustrating it can be, once you make the emotional commitment to make a major but exciting purchase, to have it delayed and untrackable. There's a very consistent psychology about it - these companies (Apple and BMW) have found the golden formula for inspiring lust in consumers, but the merchants involved (BMW dealers and, in the case of that phone, Fido/Rogers) seem to have the most primitive inventory tracking imaginable. Very frustrating - in other sectors this is much more advanced, and I think it greatly improved customer satisfaction.

Ok - end of rant. Sorry if this contains no useful information about 800GS deliveries.

P
  13. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:
    It all started with the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld, then the bike Nazis (BMW), and finally the phone Nazis (Apple).. What a conspiracy!.. Where's Mel Gibson when you need him!

OK, b4 someone starts rambling about the relationship I made between BMW being a german company, and Nazis, please take in the context it was written. Thank you.:deal
  14. beemerbum

beemerbum Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi all, after what seems almost a year...oh, it was...OGC got two Magnesium Metrallic units, fully loaded, albeit with low seats, on Monday, 6 Oct. So one of them, mine, got prepped and I took delivery that Tuesday. Just need to get the standard seat exchanged, hopefully when the next units come in, later this fall?

I had actually ordered a Sunset Yellow unit, but its on a later production run, and I like the Dark Magnesium Metallic as well...so out the door it came into my eager arms. It just went through the 1K check yesterday, and got a set of TKC 80s installed as well...why BMW Motorrad Canada is delivering them with the 'Battle Wings' is beyond me...maybe for the F650GS, but for the 800GS, hmmm?

So far, so great...broke in the machine mostly off pavement on gravel, dirt pack and some forest trails...although some caution and restraint was needed with the Battle Wing rubber (they actually acquitted themselves quite well). After owning numerous enduro machines, a couple of KLRs, and currently, an 08 GSA, this thing is just a (slightly) larger dirt bike in the way it handles, runs and feels. It is fast, far more so than my now departed F800ST, and has a torque curve that will surprise many, including Boxer fans.

Can't wait to get it out in the boonies this weekend with the TKCs...other rubber will likely follow, but these will do for now. Now I just have to find Dale on his HP2!

Cheers, Bruce.:rofl :clap
  15. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:
    Congrats!! And grey IS the better color anyway.:norton

And yes, I will be putting a TKC rear on mine, but I want something more serious on the front, maybe an MT21, all this will be done next spring mind you, once the break in is completed.

Have fun!:1drink
  16. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! Any idea what their current availability lineup is like at Ottawa Good Times? Damn! I should have thought of them - I'm in Ottawa all the time... (used to live there in fact - the bikes I've owned in the past were serviced there).

Enjoy the bike! Where do you ride around Ottawa?

Rick
  17. fyr

fyr iRoast Coffee

Oddometer:

Hope you dont mind me sticking my nose in here. I was at OGC 2 days ago and took a hard look at the 800. It had the lower seat and looked slick. They're due to get a "bumblebee" GS in November. Sales guy said the wait time is 2 months from order. We'll see. I may start the ball rolling on one but only after Xmas. I'd only want delivery in mid march.

All that'll change if an old Airhead GS pops up!

As for riding, when I had my KLR and Wee I usually ended up in the dirt in PQ (Im from Mtl and have a cottage in the lower Laurentians).
    Gatineau's are nice but I am not really tuned in to the dirt riding in this area. I heard of shitloads of trails west of Ottawa. If I pull the trigger on this GS, Well I guess Ill have to explore more of my backyard.
  18. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Blackfoot Calgary are having a feel and touch GS800 and 450X nite Oct 23rd 6-9pm with refreshments. Say they have deposites on 40 GS800s but I'm betting some guys won't come through now.
  19. beemerbum

beemerbum Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Proton, et al, we do most of our off-road riding up in the Highlands area, including Calabogie and all points around the compass - lots of good mild stuff and even more challenging ground (and water) within easy reach from 508 and 511, etc...

The TKC 80s are working well, good for the road, even in the colder temperatures, and very predictable on gravel and dirt...the 21 inch wheel and combination is more stable than I thought it would all be...but I still think a 19 inch front would have been a suitable compromise as well, c'est la vie.

Am I happy with the purchase - very much so...just have to remember that the 08 GSA needs exercise as well...transitioning from the 800GS to the GSA is not difficult per se, but the weight and handling differentials give the 800GS a (very) clear nod.

OGC has/had one more Metallic unit in...but I think that is the 'nailed to the floor' unit...they have just put a used 08 F650GS with luggage on the floor, don't think it will last long. The bumblebee that is supposed to arrive in Nov was my original order...but getting on a Metallic unit earlier was worth it...I'm having fun.

Just need to sort through the growing farkle list and get some essential stuff, especially a big (big) front and bottom bash plate, etc...have ordered the F800GS handguard kit (pieces back-ordered), so for now the GSA guards adopted for use will suffice.

For those of you waiting for an F800GS, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Bruce
  20. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the trail and tire info - I'm looking forward to exploring the area around Ottawa next spring (still waiting for my 800GS to arrive - was bumped to the "October 28" batch, whatever that means).

As I understand it, the negative of the 21" wheel is the higher angular momentum making it harder to initiate a turn at speed. Any others? I have to say that, having initially considered a 1200GS, I'm very happy about the feedback I'm hearing on the 800. The 1200 would have been too much bike and money for the usage I'm realistically likely to have.

Best,

Rick