Canadian F800GS's?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by MoToad, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Travlr

Travlr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello All, got mine Oct. 17th from Southwest Motorrad in Kelowna, rode home through Rogers Pass. Bike was great, even in the snow:D well the traction was a bit sketchy but the bike performed well for it's maiden voyage. Coldest temp was -0.5C warmest was 9C.

Took it out on some gravel roads in Kananaskis and again the bike performed as anticipated, battlewings not so great on loose gravel with tight turns so I am looking into a more dirt oriented set of rubber.
  2. Travlr

Travlr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried to get my bikes through them, they said nothing until May, they wouldn't phone around and source bikes from other dealers so I did it myself. Thus the Oct. trip through the rockies to Kelowna. The last time I went into the shop was to buy some new riding gear, my stuff at the time was all leather, Jeff the "salesman" couldn't get off his ass to come over and ask if we needed help. We were taking jackets off the new display wall that is about 15ft high. Lazy b*tch. Their loss (two 800's, helmets, gear, accessories, any future service). Will never go there again.
  3. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:

:thumb :freaky
  4. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congratulations, man! Awesome picture - this is an inspiration as there's a good chance I'll be driving mine home through some snow if and when it comes...

It never ceases to amaze me how lackluster the service can be at some of these places, although on the whole my experiences have been good. One thing I found is that, once you buy a couple of things and they "know" you (or know that you're actually ready to spend serious money), the whole attitude changes. On the one hand, maybe they just see a lot of people who come in to fondle the motorcycle gear and leave (especially after seeing how much some of it costs). On the other hand, shouldn't they really be assuming that *every* customer might be the one who's going to make a big purchase? I'll bet they lose a lot of business from this incorrect sizing up BS, or maybe it is just laziness.

Enjoy the bike and thanks again for the picture!

Rick
  5. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been on the road for about a week now and I can't praise this bike enough. Stability, handling, power and comfort? It all works for me. Took a ride up island last weekend with saddlebags and gear and one thing that was bugging me a bit was the lean on the sidestand. Being shortlegged I have always used the footpeg to mount the bike with the sidestand down. Well, I guess the 800 sidestand couldn't handle mine and the bike's weight because it was slowly bending. Just had the 1000km check and they streightened it back even better than original and I will not be using my old mounting methods any more. Other than that, everything has been going flawlessly. For those looking for addons, I am including a pic of the BMW bashplate. Altho expensive (over 300Can), it is a work of art, looks good and covers all the necessary privates. The silver stood out a bit too much for my liking so I had it powdercoated to match the engine.

Attached Files:

6. beemerbum

beemerbum Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still accumulating time and distance on the machine...TKC80s are doing their job and work (very) well on road, even with our Ottawa cooler temps in morning...have only managed to get them breaking loose once on the pavement and it was at a pretty severe lean and higher speed. I don't feel that the 21inch wheel is 'slow' per se, but there is some increased resistance felt when flipping it from side to side. But IMHO this is more than offset by the light weight and handling aspect of the whole front end.

Now running the engine up into upper range and the output is even more impressive, and still smooth, although some increased vibration is noticeable at 6 and above. I find the gearbox just about perfect, with 2nd and 3rd the gears of choice for most riding and 4th for moving along at an increased rate, on and off pavement. If current use remains minimal street and maximum dirt, then 5th and 6th won't see much use, but they are mighty smooth gears for high speed road cruising. Donking and plonking in the dirt is great fun in 1st and then up into 2nd, with reasonable torque for braking purposes...just don't forget to turn off the ABS (still recommended for off pavement stuff).

Fuel consumption getting better, first four tanks have averaged just under 60 miles per Imperial gallon (my F800ST used to get well over 60).

Got to get the BMW extended skid plate ordered...and order, or make some headlight shields and I think that will be that for this initial season...the winter farkle list is growing longer. I still haven't decided whether its better to dress it up for a mulititude of uses, or keep it bare bone, for the hard off pavement riding...and let the GSA become the prime touring machine.

On a related note, it seems that the Yellow unit might be arriving at OGC within a week or so...another one in the stable for my SO is on the longer term planning horizon, but probably not this fall. However, you can read between my lines and deduce that yes, I am very, very happy with mine.

Cheers, Bruce
  7. kojiro

kojiro F800GS

Oddometer:
    Last news from my dealer is that they got the bike in Toronto, and the dealer should get it either Monday or Tuesday, delivery the next day.
  8. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's great news! What dealer are you working with, if that's not too personal? Hope we have good weather next week!

Rick
  9. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:
    I should be getting mine during the first week of November. I'm still ticked at BMW for waiting until the season's almost over to get delivery of these bikes.

Here's what I ran into yesterday:

[​IMG]
  10. kojiro

kojiro F800GS

Oddometer:
    Moto Vanier. Not the best dealer I've dealt with in my life, but then they're the only BMW dealer in my area...
  11. kojiro

kojiro F800GS

Oddometer:
    BTW, Canadian owners: Does the warranty covered 2nd real key also apply to us? If so, what is the ticket number?
  12. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Decided to test the accuracy of the computer yesterday. Warning light came on, said I had about 80kms to go. Was about 60 from home so I happily cruised away, watching the kms count down. Pulled up to my garage with 8kms showing and....stutter, fart, stutter, and she died. Wouldn't refire. Totally out of gas. Talk about horseshoes! Bottom line is; Read your computer with a big grain of salt. I won't let mine drop below, say, fifteen from now on.
  13. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    What was the total kilometres?

Bruce, bud, definitely up for a ride... :thumb
  14. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Koj.
    Mine came with main key, plastic key and second main key. You should expect the same.
  15. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'm hoping to take delivery next week from Monette Sports, who were given a warehouse delivery date of October 28 from BMW (they are one of two BMW dealers in Montreal). I tend to have bad luck with these sorts of things (lengthy delivery waiting), so we'll see...

R
  16. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:
    This seems consistent with stuff I read on F800riders and UKGSer. Actually running out at an indicated 10-20Km left on the countdown.
  17. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I managed to run mine to 1km, but it was on the level, and I wasnt shloshing about too much....:deal
  18. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've noticed a few posters who were told an October 28 delivery date by their dealers. Well the big day is here - I gather this means arrival at the BMW Warehouse in Toronto. My dealer told me two or three more days (no news is good news), which is just as well as it's raining today and is supposed to snow tomorrow (sunny later in the week).

Anyone got any updates on this batch?

Keep telling myself: "this is a long-term purchase; a few days or even the end of one season is not such a big deal in the grand scheme of things..."

Must get a life...
  19. kojiro

kojiro F800GS

Oddometer:
    The 28th is also a big day for me... But unlike you, I was told my bike arrived last Friday in Toronto and that I would be getting it today or yesterday. No, I didn't get it yesterday :wink:

Anyhow, it's raining here in Quebec too.
  20. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:
    Spoke to salesman last Friday. Update that was given was the 31st. I don't know if that means off the boat to the warehouse, or, at the dealer. I didn't get a call today and i'm out of town until tomorrow night.