Canadian F800GS's?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by MoToad, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot for all the detailed reports about the bike! Can I ask where you buy your tires and how much a set of TKC80's cost? Just curious since you're nearby.

The TKC's sound like clear winners in the dirt - how are they on road over - say - wet leaves or wet pavement (braking or in a turn)? I'm wondering about how different tires will perform if I get caught in a bit of snow (on road) riding in late fall.

Hope it's not raining so much where you are - might get snow tomorrow in mtl. Hoping for some better weather if mine actually comes in later this week.

Best,

Rick
  2. beemerbum

beemerbum Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    SQD8R - my short dirt trips have been averaging about 100 to 150kms up in our favourite area...the TKCs are working just fine, on and off road. Settings of about 32 rear and 28 front are working fine for all surfaces, even on the cold mornings in dry, wet and leave-laden surfaces, so happy with the combination.

Zaner32 - the back TKC 80 was purchased last year when the former BMW dealer was selling off some stock, so got it for half price...which I can't remember right now, I think a new one is well under 200.00. The front was ordered in new and it was about 120 or so, plus installation for both. I will likely go for a set of Karoo IIs (more $$) next time around...have them on the GSA and they work just fine. But, I think the TKCs have the edge on the road. Good picture, nice roads you are running, about the same level of stuff that I have been flogging around on

I just need to get it dirtier, right SQD8R?

Ah yes, almost forgot, the second thing I did upon sneaking back to see my half-assembled machine being prepped was to check for the number of keys...lo and behold, after fighting for a second key for four previous purchases, the F800GS comes with two real coded keys and the backup plastic...wonders never cease.

The bumble bee unit was supposed to arrive at OGC today, not sure if it did...typically takes 72 hours to get them turned around from Motorrad Canada, so most dealers in this area should have them by end of week. To buy another, or wait, that is the question?

A little snow will only bring about a bit of added caution...and heat still in the roads should see them cleared up, hopefully by Thursday, and the weekend looks decent, right now.

Cheers, Bruce
  3. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Called the dealer this morning. Apparently my bike arrived in Toronto this morning and should arrive in Montreal by Saturday.

Of course the service department probably does not do preps on Saturday, and the dealer is closed Monday, so it looks like Tuesday or Wednesday will be the big day.

Debating whether to ask them to put the TKC80's on during prep or wait until next season. Still not sure realistically which I'll get to do more of this season: riding on roads on days when they're clear, or getting off-island to hit some trails (odds are getting slimmer by the week I'll get much time for this before real snow hits).

My dealer quoted $250 plus tax for the two TKC80's, plus $70 installation. I would probably keep the Battlewings for longer road trips.

Cheers,

Rick
  4. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    All I can say is congratulations.................bastard.....:1drink

5. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:
    Congrats!! I visited my dealer this morning and he said mine should on the way to their dealership. Probably Wed, Thurs for me.

6. kojiro

kojiro F800GS

Oddometer:
    Mine was supposed to arrive last Tuesday or Wednesday. Then on Wed. the dealer called me and told me that my bike was going to "custom procedures" and that I should get it next Monday or Tuesday.

We have snow already.
  7. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Called Saturday, but bike still not delivered. However dealer called back to give me the VIN, which is now showing up in their system (will need for insurance).

Dealer is closed Monday, so hopefully the bike will come in Tuesday. Weather next week is supposed to be nice.

Curiously, the vin decoder at http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi says my last 7 digits indicate a 2006 650GS. Have to take this with a grain of salt though.

Can anyone who already has an 800GS confirm that their last seven are zt72200?

Almost there!
  8. Nemesis

Nemesis just ride the damn thing

Oddometer:
    If anyone cam confirm that then THEY HAVE YOUR BIKE!!!

:lol3
  9. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok I should have said it differently - I wonder what the last seven digits of a "known" 800GS give in one of these VIN decoders. Last time I checked, for many vehicles there are portions of the VIN which are not unique but simply identify characteristics of the vehicle. That's how these supposed VIN decoders work.

Anyhow I should stop thinking about it...
  10. Nemesis

Nemesis just ride the damn thing

Oddometer:
    The last seven ARE the unique numbers. The last seven can be used by dealers to pull up warranty history on a specific bike. The preceding numbers are for country of manufacture, model, etc. Tenth digit is model year, the ninth is a check digit.

:deal
  11. kojiro

kojiro F800GS

Oddometer:
    Mine is ZT72152. That part is the unique identifier.
  12. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Nemesis, kojiro -

Sounds like I got the unique part backward - hope that by giving my unique VIN out I'm not setting myself up for identity theft i.e. going to start seeing charges for leather bustiers on my credit card?

The bike "should" arrive at the dealer tomorrow (Tues), with fairly quick prep I'm told (will have to make sure any applicable SW updates are done).

Would still be interesting to know if there is a reliable key for decoding the descriptive part of the VIN, though.

Cheers,

Rick
  13. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any news on the latest shipment of 800's? Any Montrealers hear anything?
  14. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been hoping to hear from my dealer today - no news yet. Arranged insurance yesterday... will let you know if I hear anything.

Apparently the bike was in Toronto last Thursday - would hope it should make it to Montreal today.
  15. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got "the" call! Bike is in and will be ready at 4pm.

Yippee!
  16. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:
    Right on!! Mine should be in soon. Hopefully the truck driver is headed here overnight!!
  17. backroadsandbeyond

backroadsandbeyond Adventurer

Oddometer:
    vancouver just got a bunch
  18. Proton

Proton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took the Metro up to Laval, and after some paperwork took delivery of the bike. Rides great! Very torquey engine, and stability/handling are extremely nice. As with anything, a few aspects will take some getting used to. Monnette Sport delivered as promised, within a few days of projected delivery date. Magnesium grey with ABS, center stand, computer.

The throttle *does* take a light touch, as many have said. No problem with the new tires, as the roads were bone dry and I managed to scrub them a bit. Exhaust sounds great - sounds kind of like a tractor, meant in the good sense. Can almost use the right turn signal and cancel button without blipping the throttle...

I find the bike extremely comfortable (although have not ridden all that far yet - a first impression). I'm fairly tall (6'2") and find it's the perfect height. I find the seat provides good comfort - I prefer a firm platform.

Still have to wait for bags I ordered - these are apparently on the dreaded "backorder".

Anyhow gotta catch up on a bunch of work from the time I missed this afternoon picking up the bike - we're fortunate to have phenomenal weather this week!

And finally the magnesium looks awesome! No photo I've seen actually captures how it really looks -

Cheers,

Rick
  19. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Congratulations are in order. Too bad about the color though....:rofl

20. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:
    Congrats are in order! Even on the chosen color! :lol3 :wink: