Canadian rockies tour starting July 26th

Discussion in 'Canada' started by javadog, Jan 16, 2006.

1. javadog

javadog n00b

Oddometer:
    My new girlfriend and I are planning a long ride together this summer and we
    could use some advice. We are thinking about starting from Kalispell or Missoula, Montana, riding through Glacier NP and Waterton. We will continue north on 22 or possibly a forest service road on the map to the interstate
    then head west to Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper. We have about 16 riding days. Which parks, lakes, roads and other areas are on the "must see" list along this route? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Stand Up

Stand Up Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer:
    Check out posts by Stand Up especially "Fall Ride". How much dirt are you looking for? This is the FSR north of Canal Flats.
    [​IMG]
    Stay tuned in. We're doing lots of BC riding this summer.
    Stand Up
  3. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Regarding your upcoming trip. Are you really stuck on seeing Banff and Jasper? Personally I'm not into tourist traps. A much nicer route to see and ride would be to head west on #3 after seeing Waterton Park. From there head to Creston, BC, then North on #3A to the end of the road about 40 miles and take the free ferry across to Nelson/Kaslo area and ride all around there for a few days heading generally west towards Nakusp and another free ferry ride on the way to Vernon and the Okanagan. From there you can make a nice loop back south to Osoyos and the US border and home. The best riding Canada has to offer. So much more exciting than what you are planning on nice country roads all the way, rather than anywhere near the Trans Canada Highway. Thats my 2 cents.
  4. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    You nailed it RED CAT. Fantastic riding . Hot springs along the way, Nakusp hot springs, Halcyon hot springs near Revelstoke, Fairmont hot springs, and my favourite, Ainsworth hot springs, just south of Kaslo, majestic.
    As far as pavement riding, fantastic area. #3a from Creston to Kootenay Bay. #31 from Balfour to Kaslo. #6 from Lumby to Needles. All great.
    When you head back, do yourself a favour and spend the night at Coulee Dam. A sleepy little desert town, with a quaint little strip. With a muther fu*&%er of a huge dam commanding from every view. And a silly but fun little movie every night on the dam face deen from everywhere in town. Awsome riding in Eastern WA. as well.
    Nothing against Jasper/Lake Louise, but that time of year will be as bad as Yellowstone for tourists. But If you really want to see it, it will be fun, but be warned.
    Ciao, Steve G.
  5. Ridemuch

Ridemuch Ciao

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that info.I'll be heading out west to visit friends this summer and I will take this way for sure.Can you guy give me info on going throw the praries. I've done it to many time now and would like to try the states but not sure what to take....

Cheers!
  6. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    The best thing I can say about motorcycle riding in the prairies is to either avoid it, or get through the flat land as fast as possible. I havn't ridden through Minnesota or North Dakota but can only imagine are just as hopelessly flat and straight as Saskatchewan. Western Montana, Idaho, and western Wyoming I can vouch for being good if not fantastic riding. If you look at a map of North America, you can pretty well bet on great riding anywhere along a mountain range and the respective foothills.
    Ciao, Steve G.
  7. mikeyyc

mikeyyc mmmmm....capolicious

Oddometer:
    I couldn't agree with Red Cat more about the riding. That being said, if it's more than just a bike trip, Banff, Moraine Lake, Lake Louise, Icefields Parkway, Athabasca Glacier and Jasper are really must sees.

If it's all about the ride, it's not the best. If it's about more, I'd still consider the Parks.

My $ .02

Mike
  8. javadog

javadog n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much everyone for the advice. Since this is going to be a wing it trip with no reservations anywhere we are going to head generally NW from
    Waterton Park and see how it goes. If we have the time and interest we may
    head back east to Jasper and down the #93. I was up that way years ago in
    a car I rented in Calgary. The scenery is fantastic but as you said it will be wall to wall tourists that time of year.
  9. mikeyyc

mikeyyc mmmmm....capolicious

Oddometer:
    Everyone will be recovering from their post Stampede hangover. (Myself included):freaky
  10. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Highway 16 (the yellowhead route) is slightly better. Not great, but anything is better than droning along Highway 1.

BTW, Minnesota actually has some really good bike roads, once you get east of center, more or less.

You're right about North Dakota though, tie the bars straight, pin the throttle and fall asleep!
  11. Ridemuch

Ridemuch Ciao

Oddometer:
    thanks Ron