Canadian Topographical Service Maps

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Hippiessuck, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Hippiessuck

Hippiessuck Banned

Oddometer:
    Recently, I went into a map specialty store in Vancouver to obtain some updated topo maps of the BC interior.

Much to my amazement, I was told that the maps were last updated in the late 90's, and was shocked to learn that the Canadian Government will no longer update these maps. So, the way I see it... it's kinda user beware in the backroads.

I used metroguide and topo software by Garmin, and it looks to me like they got their map info from government resources, mainly because a number of these backroads are no longer in existance.

Anyone know of any more info on this?
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're into GPS, Garmin has Canadian Topo maps. Not sure if they have it for BC, but I do have Ontario topo maps from Garmin.
  3. Hippiessuck

Hippiessuck Banned

Oddometer:
    I have them both... Used them in various back country areas and found:
    North American City select is NOT accurate for Canada in terms or remote regions.

Metroguide DOES NOT have up to date mapping of Logging roads.
    Topo Canada, is also not too accurate with the logging roads as the soure for these maps again are based mainly by the Canadian Government maps.

The forestry road information on the Metroguide is much better than the TOPO maps.
    but still not entirely up to date.
  4. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you tried the BC MAP BOOKS? They are available at Save-on Foods, and I saw them on the weekend at Mountain Equipement CO-OP.
    Ciao, Steve G.
  5. mountainpete

mountainpete Outdoor use only

Oddometer:
    Do you mean Backroad Mapbooks? They are the best maps for either BC or Alberta. I have traveled all over using those maps and they are amazingly accurate - the vast majority of foresty roads are shown.

Here is there site: http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/index1.php?series=bm

Available at MEC and even Canadian Tire...

Pete
  6. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup, those are the ones.
  7. skeleton

skeleton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those guys also have their maps based on government maps, but they enhance them with logging roads, etc, as provided to them with GIS data from the forestry companies.

I recently purchased the CDROMs for their BC and AB regions. I then loaded the files into Memory-Map on the desktop, then output them onto my handheld GPS unit. Although they are raster files, they are now calibrated for Lat/Long. I found the calibration tolerance on their raster data to be up to 250 meters when compared to vectored files from other sources. However, what can you do, considering there is little to no vector files available for forest service roads.
  8. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    I've been using Google Earth a fair bit, at least it gives you some clue as to whether the roads still there.

The Garmin Topo ones sometimes show roads that just plain no longer
    exist. (in this area anyway)
  9. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Make them for Ontario, too. Good stuff, carry them along with the gps.
  10. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ordered a topo map for Parent area and part of it had not been updated since late 70s lol:rofl
  11. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Ridden up that area lots of times. You're right about the map. My Canada Metroguide V3 is much more accurate, that isn't to say that it's perfect, just better.
  12. scratchypants

scratchypants Loathes the impolite

Oddometer:
    We had a camp south of Parent, where there is quite a bit of active logging. The logging company (Forex) was kind enough to let us have one of their own maps. Really nice, close scale - 1:18K I believe, and regions coloured by type of vegetation.
  13. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. scratchypants

scratchypants Loathes the impolite

Oddometer:
    Not in my experience. It would be wise to pack a compass.

The only thing I've seen is kilometer markers. These are so that you can advise (via CB) oncoming logging trucks of your direction and position.