Canary Islands

Discussion in 'Europe' started by wheatwhacker, Jan 22, 2020.

1. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here

Oddometer:
    For those of us living in Europe and seeking the odd escape from the winters here, I'm calling out to those of you that either own or rent a property on one of the canary Islands.
    I have just returned from a 3 week vacation here and honestly think its an awesome place to ride a motorcycle.
    I plan to ride one down next winter and leave it somewhere for return trips throughout the winter months and possibly loan it out to friends.
    Anybody here done something similar? pros and cons?
  2. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thought I'd let this stew for a while and see what happens......not exactly a rage-destination going by the response. :photog

(No surprise, really....while the Germanic tribes have been into "the Canaries" for the last 5 decades or longer!).

Never been there yet, but have spent a serious amount of time over the last 10 years or so to map/ plan routes and put together 3-7 day stays and rides across the various islands with a view to tack the one or other "Canaries-stay" onto one of our international Alps/ Balkans rides.

There are plenty of rental places (50cc scoots to new Multistradas etc) all over the place.
    Sadly the previous numbers of rental off-road machinery (usually DR250/350/ XT250/XR400s etc) have taken a dive to the benefit of bigger road-bikes due to the increasing lock-up of National Park/ forestry tracks and roads.
    Some outstanding and unique roads and scenery with elevations up to 11.500ft/ 3700m by the looks of it, but being fairly small islands the range is somewhat limited.
    Which made me look for rentals rather than other options as a few days/ maybe a week at most? on the 2 bigger islands isn't really enough to ship own bikes or buy + sell etc.
    Rental prices are fairly EU- average, the older (well-maintained) Dual-Sports actually quite cheap (E35-60/ day all incl.). Many bike-rentals seem to be owned/run by ex-Germans and operate in multiple languages, English included.
    DantesDame and dooby like this.
  3. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    Subbed. Planning to visit this year in late October.
  4. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Going by all those RR's, magazine articles, pics, vids and travel-yarns I read over the years, Teneriffe and GranCanaria (the 2 main islands) are a hoot to ride with sealed roads at least equal to many of the big-names of the Alps and Balkans. Climbing from sea level to 3700m within 40km/ 25mi is pretty much a promise in itself :-)
    More tantalizing stuff on a few of the smaller islands, too.
    Maybe 2020 finally comes good on that score.
  5. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    I go slightly stir crazy on islands after about 4 days on a motorbike (depending on size of island). But The Canaries might be good in winter, a friend who visited Lanzarote recently said it was nice. I guess there are plenty of inter-island ferry services.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  6. 4bikes

4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been traveling to Gran Canaria for holidays and riding rental bikes for 20 years. And there are still roads to explore. https://motos-tivoli-rent.eu/ is a very good Place to rent a bike. Say hello to Patricio from me!
  7. boboneleg

boboneleg we can rebuild him.

Oddometer:
    I hired a bike for one day on Lanzarote while on a family holiday, I had a great time exploring the trails on the island .

I hired a Beta Alp 4.0 the tyres were slightly dodgy for riding on jagged volcanic rock and sand but I managed to get away with it :D

Lanzarote 2017 019.JPG Lanzarote 2017 037.JPG Lanzarote 2017 052.JPG
    DantesDame, DavidM1 and glitch_oz like this.
  8. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks pretty dry and desolate to me....a bit like AUS. I'd feel right at home :-)
    boboneleg likes this.
  9. airhead_irl

airhead_irl Airhead addict

Oddometer:
    The highest road in the Canary Islands, Roque de los Muchachos, is 2409 m. It ranks something like 27th in Europe's highest roads but the difderence in metres between some of then isn't that much to be honest ! Valeta in Spain ranks as #1 at 3300 m. Mind you, these are paved roads.....possibly there are some highest off piste tracks ?
  10. sierra_victor

sierra_victor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :photog
    Your at home anywhere Pete especially when there is something wet and cold to drink at the end of the ride..:photog:photog:-)

Salty.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  11. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ain't that the truth! :-)
    When are you starting to flap yer wings, can't be far off now...
    dooby likes this.
  12. sierra_victor

Oddometer:
    We arrive at Martin's on the 26th of March. Following your advice I think I bought enough maps to fill one pannier, :rofl but we will only take the 1:800,000 sheets for 'on the bike'. Time is moving fast now. Still need to get IDL and fix up the green card with Dooby but that will be next week.

Salty.
    dooby likes this.
  13. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not far to go then :-)...best get onto Dooby soon, before things ramp up towards spring/ summer again over there.
    Happy miles
    dooby likes this.
  14. dooby

dooby aka Frgich; www.lobagola.com

Oddometer:
    glitch_oz likes this.
  15. sierra_victor

Oddometer:
    The Missenden Flyer did a three part Youtube video of Tenerife.

Salty.
  16. +venture

+venture Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Was there in 1980. Rented a “big wheel” two-stroke (125 Suzuki, I think).
    I definitely had fun, but honestly don’t remember doing what.
  17. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    The more I look around and the more info is dug up, the more obvious it becomes that those days are well and truly over. There might still be a small pocket here or there for offroad/ dirt riding for a day, but that's it.

Had seen the tour company website before but never followed up as I'm after rentals, not tours.
    Thanks for digging up the flics, a quick rush through those put the last nail in my personal "Canaries-coffin" :)
    But I can certainly see the attraction to the North-Europeans after a few dark winter months of cabinfever.

On the money, mate :-)
    Old plans in the bin, onto some new stuff for the Balkans then.
    You guys are making it easy for us Aussies and Kiwis nowadays, nearly all your capitals are serviced by at least one of the big long-haul airlines for 1 or 2 stop flights halfway around the globe.
    Is there any local airline (something like Ryan Air or such) interconnecting the entire Balkans + Greece region?
    Brewing some ideas re: organising a 3 week one-way ride with the bikes getting trucked from i.e. Zagreb to Athens, then ridden back to base.
    Just dreaming at this stage, but I have a 2 week route already at hand and would love to add a few more days to the head and tail
    to also create a bit of a buffer.
    I can get direct flights into Athens (or Bucharest, at a pinch) with the same airline flying out of Zagreb, that part is taken care of.
    dooby likes this.
  18. WeegieBored

WeegieBored Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a f650gs for 4 days (2-up) in Tenerife. Was not enough time to "do" the whole island. Tenerife is the most diverse scenery wise. Also the busiest.

Had a Pegaso SM thing in Fuertaventura and was not allowed to go off paved. I did and the top box ripped off on a washboard track. Loads of tracks to explore for miles. Something to check from where ever you hire from.
  19. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin
    We are heading to the Canaries in about 45 days, and I would like to rent a motorcycle on Lanzarote, just for one day. Anyone know if there is an issue with a US motorcycle endorsement, or anything special I might need or need to know?
  20. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer: