1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Cancel everything.... I'm not going riding. COVID 19 MEGA Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by richo360, Mar 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stop the planet, i want to get off.
    Are things really quickly turning to shite? Are we collectively as stupid as we appear, stripping supermarkets bare and fighting over bog rolls and hand soap?
    Major events cancelled, businesses telling staff not to come to work, govt depts and uni's closing. Overseas, nations in lockdown with effectively home detention for 99% of the population.
    Theres a million examples out there of a general feeling of panic and hysteria.....
    so next week, instead of venturing west to Speed Week (which has had the plug pulled, along with every other upcoming event), I'll still head west but not as far to Robe, to catch up with mates and ride. And turn off the phone, not watch the news, and stay away from social media.

But I'm wondering.... for anyone thinking of getting away soon, how long before out of towners will be looked on as potential virus carriers, or shut out?
    If we have a Vic/NSW meet, will the venue cancel it on us, or local posse's run us out of town(or not let us in?). Will we ever actually decide on a venue anyway @dirty dennis ?

Is there and end in sight, or are the doomsdayers right? ( according to facebook lol) Should we be accumulating guns as well as shit tickets, like the good ol USA?
  2. RowBust

RowBust Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might have trouble getting a feed, if cafes and restaurants possibly pubs are closed, don't have an accident you might not find a hospital with enough resources to take you
  3. Out6ack

Out6ack Whale Rider

Oddometer:
    The thing is that any of us could be infected right now and not show any signs for 2 weeks -at which point we go and get tested positive. How many people did you come in contact with during that time?
    There is an end in sight - if you, me, everyone limits social interaction as much as possible (no problem haha). Shut everything down for minimum 2 weeks to isolate and identify the carriers and we might have a chance.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca
  4. gavineakins

gavineakins Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure, it's tempting to just leave, but it's that behaviour that's going to make it worse for all of us.

Cheers - Gavin
    gojira14, Richarde1605 and scfrank like this.
  5. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats what Im thinking too.
    Dewi likes this.
  6. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    I’ve got a bunker full of supplies if you need anything :D
    gojira14, bikeroz and numbat like this.
  7. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Loading up the bike with gear and heading bush for a few days can never be a bad thing. Staying in a large city must surely present higher chances of infection.
  8. workhorse

workhorse Motorcycle as a medium of travel

Oddometer:
    We as a group are relatively low risk to have any fatal consequences if we catch it. The flu for a few weeks.
    Interesting to see the exaggerated response from the city folk vs country. The latter being more self reliant and used to dealing with problems on a more regular frequency.
    Go for a ride.
    It seems to fix everything
  9. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but there's only so long you can live on pies.
  10. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    I like richo's idea though, might do it myself next week some time :photog
    richo360 likes this.
  11. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    We're not relatively low risk at all really.
    As a country we really should take extreme measures for a couple of weeks to prevent the chaos you can see from the likes of the US or Italy.

City vs Country argument is pretty silly if you give it some thought. Reality is this thing isn't a myth or just a thing happening in a far away place anymore.

Yeah it may not kill everyone who gets it but if no measures are taken to limit the spread, chances of it killing someone you know grow exponentially.

I think the hospital and pub comment a few posts above is right on the money as far as pissing off riding is concerned.

I'll still be riding locally and likely to visit national parks and beaches but will be avoiding busy places unless absolutely necessary.
    No-Fret, RowBust, AUSSIEADV and 5 others like this.
  12. lentil

lentil King of the Dad Joke and Senior Status Legume Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Hi this thread is one of "those" threads that divides and conquers a bit ....

SO please post sensible stuff or it will get nuked thanks

Leith
    OzCr0w, Chalkie62, medicmick and 5 others like this.
  13. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    My son and my old man are both immunocompromised... They are at serious risk of fatal consequences if they get it.

It’s not the flu.

thanks.
    CCitis, Russ, Chalkie62 and 6 others like this.
  14. Out6ack

Out6ack Whale Rider

Oddometer:
    Yep. Rock/Hard place here.
    It's my boy's HSC year and he's been having a red-hot go, yet he is type1 diabetic and therefore much more susceptible - all while being surrounded by a 1000 other kids who never wash their bloody hands.
    With cases already emerging in the area, I'm inclined to take him out of school, and if it wasn't his HSC year I would. I suspect that decision will shortly be made for me.
    Absolutely diabolical repercussions we're seeing worldwide, and the concerning part (especially with dependents) is having zero idea of when normality will resume. Interesting times...
    BygDaddee, ferals5 and LivingdeadCamo like this.
  15. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perspective: The death rate from ordinary or seasonal flu in developed countries is about 0.1 percent and for COVID-19 about 1.4 per cent.
    Cruz likes this.
  16. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not starting a shit fight.... but isn't that 0.1% based on population and 1.4% of diagnosed cases?

There's so much information and misinformation going around, and the inflammatory media sure don't help.
    From what I gather, the greater majority will contract it at some point. Almost impossible to avoid, like normal cold and flu virus strains. We'll contract it now, or due to bans on large gatherings, hopefully later, to ease pressures on health services. And ( if I generalise here, based on multiple press releases and sources) the bulk, or many of us will hopefully suffer no more than flu like symptoms.
    I hope those with immune conditions, and preexisting health issues get through ok.

But anyway, I'll do some bike prep this week, and ride next.. .. fresh air will clear the head, and riding is good for the soul.
    bikeroz, AUSSIEADV, bigborett and 3 others like this.
  17. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Both figures are based on the percentage of people infected who do not survive.

In both cases it's usually a complication such as pneumonia or deterioration of an existing condition that causes the death rather than the initial infection.
  18. cascade63

cascade63 Gone.

Oddometer:
  19. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ron. That's largely the case with deaths here so far as i understand it too.
    Ron50 likes this.
  20. Reefdog

Reefdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    My mistake Cascade
    i didn't read the second article
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.