1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Cancelling SPOT tracker experience

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by me3, Jun 30, 2020.

1. me3

me3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Decided to cancel my 2 SPOT devices as I lost one (yeah, yeah) and they don't seem to be progressing in customer ethics / service.

What a hassle.

No website or email cancel
    Ring
    Oh hold for ~45mins
    Person 1. Full explanation.
    All sorts of account details
    Once all done - "need to transfer you"
    Repeat
    Hold for 20-30 mins
    All details again
    Marketing, grilling. Why are you cancelling. Will you extend.
    All on Skype to US number from overseas.

This confirmed my decision.
    I HATE companies that lock me in and treat cancelling customers like crap
    They just hope you'll let them keep billing you out of frustration

12yrs customer. Glad to be moving on.

I'll see how much Garmin sucks next.
    thirsty 1, spokester, mslim and 2 others like this.
  2. Reklaw59

Reklaw59 Faster than your Nan.

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't you just send an email and cancel the credit card or bank payments?
    Mumbles24 likes this.
  4. me3

me3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mostly your bank won't let you do that.
    Maybe yours will, but varies by bank, as it's not fraud.
    Chillis likes this.
  5. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right before I called to tell them I was not renewing I changed the payment card on my account to a VISA gift card that had no balance on it, just to make sure. I've since moved on to the Garmin inReach Mini and couldn't be happier with the decision.
  6. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe it depends on how you setup the payment. With very few exceptions I dont authorize a company to withdraw money from my bank account. I setup payments from my credit card (not check card or debit card attached to my bank account) Anyway, you can suspend automatic withdrawals from any vendor at anytime. If a bank say they wont. I close the account immediately.
    brianpc and rider1150gsadv like this.
  7. me3

me3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Australian bank rules (Sister in law is a Bank Manager)
    You can cancel any Direct Debit directly with your bank
    You cannot easily cancel / block credit card auto payment you authorized unless it's fraud. You can get it reversed, but supplier can also charge again. No "block" as such.
    I like the "no balance visa debit" idea
  8. Need For Speed

Need For Speed Is that a cop?????

Oddometer:
    I email them annually, informing them that I am cancelling service due to prices. They always offer a discount, and respond pretty quickly.

This year they offered a new lower price, that is supposedly permanent, we shall see,
  9. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    VISA and Master Card are a PITA everywhere. When they are charge disputes they usually side with the vendor. Why I don't use them unless absolutely necessary. However, once you state you cancelled a service they cannot accept the charges. I use AMEX. Its an expensive card. However, most of the time they side with the card holder and is up to the vendor to prove the charges are good. That's why I put with their expense.
    brianpc likes this.
  10. md9nyc

md9nyc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some credit cards will offer you a virtual credit card number. Use it once and no auto renewals. Check it out - especially for things you don’t want to auto renewal.
  11. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you kidding me?

I'd like to thank SPOT for all their contributions to the moto community over the years, but I hope their company dies in a fire. I feel bad for everybody who works there who might get collected in a downsizing/etc, but seriously - "subscription revenue retention through obscurity" is predatory and awful, and any company who does sh*t like this should be f*cked sideways with a chainsaw.

This is the kind of sh*t that would make me call my credit card company (AMEX is great about this) and dispute every charge.

Are you able to update the "payment" on the website and remove your CC? I guess that still doesn't fix the issue if it requires a CC payment w/ valid card..
    me3 and EmmEff like this.
  12. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I felt like their whole business practice really was the craps. You could open an account, and see what you have enabled and what extras they offer, add anything you like with a press of a button, but no way to decide later to downgrade services the same way. Only way to do that was calling. Then of course the automatic annual billing practice was always a worry. They finally got out of hand in price so I cancelled. Been 2 or 3 years back, but my cancellation went quick and simple. They offered me a lower rate, I said just cancel, they cancelled mine without any further argument and I was done with them.
    nonamehorse and spokester like this.
  13. WJBertrand

WJBertrand Ventura Highway

Oddometer:
    I cancelled them about a year, maybe more ago when they raised their prices significantly. No way to do it on line so I tried changing my CC to a gift card with the intention to use it up before the spot renewal charge. Unfortunately they were able to tell this was a gift card and wouldn’t accept it. I ended up calling them. They made a discount offer to try and retain me but I said no thanks and there was no more hassle.

I’m now using Spotwalla with the SW Connect app on my iPhone instead. Of course it does not work where there’s no cell access but it’s completely free.

All these subscription services are a pain in the ass to cancel, XM is worse than Spot though.
    spokester and Cuchulainn like this.
  14. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    The DISH is the worst!
    Cuchulainn likes this.