Canibus and Motorcycles October 2018

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Steve G., Oct 15, 2018.

1. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. edwin

edwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    more of us are gonna die from wobbly cage drivers.... just sayin'.
    happy fall riding ;)
    Maggot12 and Steve G. like this.
  3. soberjoe

soberjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think we will also see a sharp rise in rider-at-fault deaths. Lots of guys think it’s ‘cool’ to get high and ride and that’s just going to increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    My KTM 1290 has Canbus and works perfectly fine. :D

:1drink
  5. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

Put a match to it, see if it sparks up nice.
    ScooterNoMore likes this.
  6. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Trying to think of how many times I saw someone smoke weed and ride shortly there after.. I can't think of any particular case I saw that.

But beer, sure. I guess now add a few puffs and a few tall boys and giddy up..

Nortryder and TravlinLeoJ like this.
  7. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't see this as any different than drinking. Some folks will do it, most wont. That said, I also feel that the "culture" (for lack of a better word) around marijuana needs to catch up to where alcohol is in terms of how its treated when using it in conjunction with other activities. Dancing? check. Singing? YMMV....but check. Cracking Jokes? Check. Operating machinery or vehicles? Negative.

Booze or weed, its all the same to me.
    Sikorsky, sprale, AMEretired and 2 others like this.
  8. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    I live in the Kootenay’s and everywhere I ride, and sometimes while driving too, I smell pot being smoked in one of the cars/trucks ahead of me. Don’t think that will change by legalization. Had to go to Golden via Roger’s Pass for work last week and the smell was frequent, even on those demanding roads.
    It’s all likely to result in more motorized mayhem and I think risk of being rear ended will be increased especially.
    Cell phones are worse imho. I see it everywhere. Still, and despite the fines. It’s just a segment out there and not everyone, but still concerns me.
    Steve G., ScooterNoMore and soberjoe like this.
  9. Millwright98

Millwright98 Share the love, leave the dirt in the garden.

Oddometer:
    I think there is a huge over-reaction to all of this.....I think those that presently partake will continue to do so...and the number of new people taking up green will be significantly less than expected....sure there will be the fad of the first few months...but really.... it's already so prevalent I don't think there's any earth moving changes coming.
  10. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Soon they won't be askin anymore about how many walleyes or oranges I have at the border when coming home... It will be about "other souvenirs" I may have acquired.... :lol3

download.jpg
  11. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    Well, it's Day 2, and I didn't see drivers weaving all over the place, or people walking unusually on the sidewalks, on my ride thru the city today. Aside from being able to purchase and possess legal pot, looks like life carries on as it was :-)

What a lot of angst for nothing. Our Manitoba government put out some last minute fear mongering... "Just because it's legal doesn't mean you've got to try it", etc.
    TravlinLeoJ and Sleepyc like this.
  12. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’ll take six months for the novelty to wear off. It’s okay. It’s winter.
  13. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    The legalization of cannabis is this generations Y2K event.

Jbone has it right - same considerations as booze, with the exception of being able to get a prescription for one but not the other.
    In that case, I would expect the usual warning and conditions about operating heavy equipment while taking the medication.
    sprale likes this.
  14. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

Aside from the specific possible and factual effects of cannabis use when operating a motorcycle, or operating a car/truck/semi-trailer rig alongside a motorcyclist, there may indeed may not be much of a change in our daily travels on the roads. Fact is, in the 'cannabis use' capital of Canada, southwest BC, we already have entrenched combined pot use/vehicle operation with associated driver weaving all over the place. My commute essentially is a 30-35 minute run along hwy 1, sitting in the slow lane at just over the posted max speed, and easily note with regularity, 25% of the vehicles passing in the fast lane are smoking bud at the same time they are driving. You may consider this a very safe practice, or a less than safe practice, depending on where you stand on this subject, use wise.
    As for the use of this product, in city parks, outside mall entrances, on beaches, which of course is going to increase, it will be interesting to see how mall security staff will deal with this, and parks staff/police, or whether they will ignore it. IMO, people who use this product in areas like this fall into the self centered selfish category, with absolutely no concern for anybody except themselves, seemingly oblivious to the polarizing reek they emit within a 300' circle, or anywhere downwind. Anyone who equates discrete use of a couple sipping a bottle of red wine on the beach with a couple discreetly smoking a joint on the beach, confirms self centered status.
    I had to recently bury both parents, and 4 other family members because of ingesting a burning substance into the lungs. I think that anyone who smokes anything, for leisure, or for some baked up excuse of betterment of overall health, at the same time affecting the health of others around them, clearly has a mental disorder, and should seek professional help, rather than running to a "herb dispensary" for salvation.

Indeed, the only good thing I can put forward with this move, is for government to highly tax this product, just like alcohol, to counteract the future health costs associated with inhaling a burning substance into the lungs, that kills brain cells at the same time.
    rattlinjack and ScooterNoMore like this.
  15. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    It is never cool to needlessly put others at risk for personal enjoyment. IMO, that includes not only driving under the influence, but driving/riding recklessly. It's narcissism in motion.
    ScooterNoMore and edwin like this.
  16. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    My concern (and a small one) is the social weekend drinker and now mixes this with pot.

It can't be safer on the roads tonight as it was last friday night.
    edwin, ScooterNoMore and Steve G. like this.
  17. snail01

snail01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    He did that already...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. Argus16

Argus16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I live (and ride) close to the road to Tofino... yes, the ultimate west Coast road trip for many.
    Constant smell of weed wafting from surfers/tourists cars' all summer long. I'm actually getting pretty good at guessing where it's coming from; the driver who can't hold a steady speed.
    100km/h to 70 to 90, back down to 60km/h, up to 100 again.

Just when we are making progress with cell phone distraction this comes along. Hopefully the fines are yuge for toking and driving...
    ScooterNoMore, Maggot12 and Steve G. like this.
  19. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I went to the liquor store tonight to get some rum, and this is where NS now sells canibus. The line was probably 300 people long and the cashier said it's been like that snce Wed. 50 people before the doors open.
    The parking lot of the place has been packed since Wed afternoon.

I honestly felt guilty walking in the place, and I just wanted some Screech. Not a fan of what's happening but if the money and laws does something good I'll change my opinion I guess.

30 yr military guy and we ended the careers of hundreds maybe thousands of good folks cause they did this stuff.

Tough transition for me...
    nk14zp, MiltonHog and ScooterNoMore like this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    I'm one of them. Court Martial and 9 months jail for telling some guys where to buy some hash. :eek7 Conduct unbecoming of a serviceman. Catch all charge.

:1drink
    2StrokesForever and pratered like this.