Canibus and Motorcycles October 2018

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Steve G., Oct 15, 2018.

1. Effisland

Effisland Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great discussion. One thing's for sure about this forum, you may have something more in common with an inmate across the world than the one right next to you. So many points to make...so little time. I wonder who here can say they actually know what it means to feel high?

Back when I was on Twitter I followed Marc Emery. He's been traveling and advocating for legalization around the world. Last I saw he was in some Caribbean countries exploring jungle mountains with Rastas and such! He's making progress, and it stands to reason considering their market could be us - can you imagine enjoying organic mountain weed - fresh not all dried out after smuggling forever. Of course our homegrown is nice too, but like we buy French cheese and such, a little sampling of exotic cultures is tres enjoyable and can also help grease the wheels of capitalist trade.

Equating cannabis and alcohol, no. Mixing cannabis with alcohol use or with distracted driving, no.
  2. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    I've read a few articles that said Canadian producers will be unable to compete with import weed. Not sure how imported weed could meet all the regulatory requirements. There is already considerable choice, from both legal producers, and illegal sources. The legal stuff is pretty good, just more expensive. Good luck putting illegal growers out of business because of that.

The impression I've gotten from some of the posts here, is that there is genuine dismay & disappointment from the anti-marijuana crowd that legalization has gone reasonably smoothly (no pot apocalypse).
  3. Effisland

Effisland Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes 'legalization' has gone smoothly but many existing purveyors in BC that are still open seem nervous, so the naysayers may still get a chance to gloat. One things for sure, I wasn't expecting legalization to be so ...punitive. The King of Pot showed the Prince of Pot who rules the roost - and its the suits not the plaids.

Hey guys if your main concern is keeping the air fresh, what do you do when riding through Abbotsford/Chilliwack? It's a long way to hold your breath - but not a bad strategy for cigarettes, bad perfume, diesel exhaust and farts. Treat weed the same way and your blood pressure will go down. Or breathe a little and see what it can do for you.

I would rather support the local biz than the suits. If they do crack down a big segment of the economy will need to shift. I doubt it will happen though because of the sheer volume and local use already entrenched. The future depends how much of a police state we want to live in. I'm trusting that the legislation will change or local municipal laws will adapt once they realize how enforcement costs should be going down not up. Fight the organized crime not small local growers.

The legal system has approved purveyors protected while others will go to jail. More than 10 years ago you could order online from budbuddy. You still can! When you can produce weed literally anywhere, what does a 'crack down' accomplish? More incarceration for an herb. It's mind-blowing how stupid this all is. Reason? Suits. Money.

It's irritating that any news article on the topic regardless of how well intentioned will feature some scraggly hoodlum toking a gigantic joint. It will be years before stigma goes away. Many people have this long standing misconception about cannabis because if you didn't laugh at the 'heads in high school it was because you were one of them. Back then, you had to be a dedicated smoker to risk jail or worse. Most kept underground, with fear of literal persecution. I wasn't one of em but could have been, and glad I made it through for more education, but I was exposed to it at an early age. I could go on at length with stories.

The reason there's little fanfare is because it's not a 'party drug'. Although mixed with alcohol you will feel twice as drunk, or sick.

Can you imagine spending most of your adult life fighting for something and then in legalization get shut out totally? I admit Emery can sound fanatical - but we owe a debt of gratitude to the man who took it sideways for what he believed in. Would any of us risk freedom for anything?
    goforth and GreatWhiteNorth like this.
  4. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    "15 per cent of Canadians over age 15, reported using cannabis in the previous three months"

"one in five Canadians, or 19 per cent, reported plans to use cannabis in the following three months — a higher figure than those who reported current use"

That's from here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/cannabis-use-1.5009915

That's just those who admit to it. Doubtlessly actual numbers are higher, likely 20+% That's a pretty significant chunk of the population.
  5. Also Ran

Also Ran Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I started pretty young and was done with it by my early 20's due to it's negative effect on me. I wish the younger ones would stay away from it but illegality didn't stop me. 20% does sound high (pardon the pun). A number of these people may be medicinal. My 87 year old mother is pain free and has an appetite now which is awesome.
  6. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    I've been fortunate to try a variety of medical marijuana strains from MedReleaf. They are down to 16 strains (from 20). My take on experimenting with them, is that different strains can have quite different effect & duration. Some people that experience negative effects, like paranoia or anxiety (for example), would likely benefit from trying a different strain, and taking it easy (don't overdo it) - some strains pack a lot of punch! I can totally understand if cannabis isn't for you... while I don't mind the occasional beer, booze just isn't my thing really. Drive safe!
    16VGTIDave likes this.
  7. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Very interesting - this article was in today's (Wpg Free Press) paper. It shows why one has to be careful with studies done using statistics. In this case, researchers taking a 2nd look at the data discovered the original study came to it's conclusion based on cherry picked control dates to support the conclusion they were looking for; i.e. trying to prove the accident rate was higher connected with 4/20 (not the case):

Here's the fake news story carried by the major networks:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4024427/fatal-car-crashes-420-study/

And here's about the subsequent review which found the flaws in the study:

https://www.theleafnews.com/news/do...-not-so-fast-says-new-research-506836442.html
    16VGTIDave likes this.
  8. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Reaver made me do it...

Oddometer:
    Statistics is the art of manipulating data (the truth) to prove your point.

In other words:

There is “Lying”, then “Damn Lying”, and finally “Statistics”.

When someone quotes a statistic, demand the raw data to verify their assertion. Or at a minimum the discarded data. Otherwise the truth is assumed to be the opposite of their statistic. Then laugh at them as they get increasingly agitated.
    GreatWhiteNorth likes this.
  9. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

Me, I smoke on a weekly basis. Have been for 30 years. Feel free to ask if you have any questions
  10. Also Ran

Also Ran Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Okay, Oreo's or Chocolate Chip?
  11. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been there, done that. It's kinda shit lol. The reason you see pics of Bob Marley smoking cannons is because it's fresh, leafy, seedy herb and you need to smoke a cannon to get high. It's worse than the field weed from highschool. lol
    I'll take the awesome stuff I can get at my local shop over that any day.
  12. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Neither. Chicken wings (hot) with a cold pint
    Also Ran likes this.
  13. Effisland

Effisland Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huh well if you ever find yourself in a foreign country without your curated hydro I'm guessing you will smoke whatever you can find.

Yes you might pick up a paper bag with a pound of buds that include seeds and stems but nobody is dumb enough to grind it all and smoke it.

Some people swear by their 'Budweiser' and some people believe variety is the spice of life. Both are valid. Enjoy!
    MikefromNL likes this.
  14. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    I don't condone impared driving of any sort, but I recently spent a week and a half in Edmonton and couldn't help thinking "These people would be a lot easier to take if they were high."

Strung-out, aggressive assholes at the wheel? You win, Edmonton.
    16VGTIDave and Steve G. like this.
  15. Wichser

Wichser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok weird coincidence, I was just sitting in this corner today...

From OP's originally posted article

[​IMG]

This is "Powerline 2" on US129 Tail of the Dragon.
    The widebody S2K belongs to Daryl "Killboy" Cannon, the black wrecker is H&H's just after he bought it from Downtown Auto body, the red one is his too.

From today
    [​IMG]

It's a small world after all, it's a small small world.
  16. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
  17. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol. There is an example of legislation not working the way it's meant to.
  18. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
  19. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

No apocalypse, since police have not extended policing in this manner. Big 4/20 event happening this Saturday in downtown Vancouver, 10's of 1000's getting high breaking parks bylaws, smoking, and conducting business on City Parks land. I very much doubt police will conduct checks to the 1000's who will drive home from this event. It certainly would be a very different situation if this event was a celebration of wine, whiskey, beer, etc. Clearly canibus is getting a free ride compared to other recreational products.
  20. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Steve, funny you mention the 4/20 event. Whenever the Wpg City Police speak to this on the news here, they are pretty blase about it, because there's pretty much never any trouble, and everyone gets home safe. It's a peaceful celebration. On the other hand, they are quite concerned with alcohol fueled events, with large gatherings, as bad things tend to happen. Speaking recently on the news, the police spokesman stressed that, with respect to impaired driving, drunk drivers were their number one problem, greatly exceeding people driving high. One only has to look at our Wpg Jets "whiteout" parties to see the heavy police presence required to deal with drunken behavior - they have cameras everywhere, recording everything. That doesn't stop some people from being total idiots, it's just bizarre. Now because things started to get out of hand at that last one (whiteout party), they're talking of reducing the number of tickets being sold to make the crowd easier to manage. Getting home safe is the main thing Steve. I've not seen a single credible article linking legalization of marijuana to an increase in accidents... not yet, and not here anyways. You'll remember that last post I made on the subject, they found the accident rate here in MB actually went down post legalization! Hopefully that trend continues.

In this MADD article, note the 87 to 3 ratio at Checkstops, 87 drivers caught drunk vs 3 high.

https://maddchapters.ca/winnipeg/20...-checkstop-stats-week-four-and-final-results/

So somehow I'm seeing any angst about 4/20 celebrations as being unwarranted. Post legalization, there's even the question should the tradition carry on! It's becoming a non-event.