Canine Collision, or how I got my first trip to the ER

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by TDM Rider, Oct 15, 2019.

1. TDM Rider

TDM Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Went out on Sunday afternoon for an easy back road ride on my 950 Adventure. Weather was perfect here in middle Tennessee, about 75 degrees and sunny. I was looking forward to getting out and trying the new Scorpion dual sport helmet I just bought.

IMG_6920.JPG

Ride was great and I was heading home on a two-lane country road, probably travelling around 50mph, when all of a sudden a dog bolted out of nowhere at the side of the road and straight into my path. I instinctively grabbed the brakes but there was not time to avoid the collision (I did some calculations yesterday and estimated I only had about 0.90 seconds between sighting of the dog and the impact.)

In my memory, there was just a brief flash of "OH FUCK!" and then impact and, seared in my memory, the sight of the bike sliding off to the left and one of my arms in front of my face. Once I stopped sliding, I rolled onto my back and was gasping for air trying hard to breathe. I didn't feel any pain other than in my chest but it hurt like nothing I've ever felt and I had to force myself to be calm and focus on breathing. I must have opened the helmet (modular type) to get some air and then saw a man leaning over me asking if there was someone he should call. I managed to wheeze-out "911, call an ambulance". Probably within a few minutes I head a woman's voice and felt someone pick-up my left arm to check my pulse and then felt around my neck and said she was an ER nurse. She then went through a battery questions, asking me if I knew where I was, my name and if I could feel and move my feet, hands and if I had any neck pain.

She then held my hand which gave me an immediate sense of calm and somehow, at that point, I knew everything was going to be alright. At about the same time another woman arrived on the scene who was an off-duty police officer and took my wife's number and gave her a call. I consider this all quite fortunate since I was in quite a rural location with few houses nearby.

Probably not too long after (though it felt like an eternity) the ambulance arrived and, once inside, I was given an IV, some Fentanyl (really?) to relive the pain and put on oxygen since I was still having trouble breathing. The ride to the hospital was pretty quick and the EMS guy kept me talking as best I could. Once in the Williamson Medical Center ER I was quickly assessed and then given more painkillers while awaiting chest X-rays and a CT scan.

About an hour later, the verdict was in- three broken ribs and, thankfully, no other injuries.

I credit the fact that I didn't have any other injuries (except a very minor scrape on my left wrist the size of a pea) due to my religious belief in never getting on a bike without ATGATT. And all my gear did its job in sacrificing itself to protect me.

My new Scorpion helmet? Road rash on the side and visor but no signs of a major impact (and I don't recall my head hitting hard.) Gloves were Held summer style and the right hand had one hole burned through the outer layer on the top but no complete penetration. Jacket was an older Heine Gericke Toureg that has holes through the outer layers on the sleeves where the armor is located and some scuffs on the body and shoulders but no penetration. Pants were BMW Summer Pants (the first generation) and they had a complete tear-through of the outer layer on one of the knees but the second layer held and the armor did its job. And finally, my boots were Forma Adventures which sustained only some minor scuffing.

IMG_6925.JPG IMG_6929.JPG IMG_6931.JPG

Regrets? Only that I wish I hadn't balked at the price of an airbag vest when I was looking at them earlier this year. I think one would have minimized the impact and maybe saved me from the long pain and suffering of broken ribs.

As for my beloved 950 Adventure? I expected it to be totaled but my wife went to the towing yard to collect my tank bag, took some photos and surprisingly it sustained hardly any damage. The crash bars, right hand guard and luggage mounts bore the brunt of the impact and saved the rest of the bike from damage, save some minor scrapes on the upper fairing. Shame too, since it only has 7,700 miles on it and was in pristine condition. Sadly, I will be selling it along with my Royal Enfield Himalayan since my wife said never again will she go through this and has honestly not been too keen on my road riding for some time. So it will be back to trail riding only for me, which is a hard thing to swallow after 25 years of road riding but a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Ride safe and ATGATT!

CARL

Attached Files:

Renegade3, Richy and westernwa like this.
  2. BillUA

BillUA Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer:
    I’m glad you are ok. It’s the owners fault, Not the dogs.
    Richy, barko1 and WVhillbilly like this.
  3. TDM Rider

Oddometer:
    Thank you, and fair enough, though I've never been a fan of pit bulls but best not to get into that debate.
    JeepDawg likes this.
  4. avocadofarmer

avocadofarmer Fruit Coot

Oddometer:
    If you can find the owner of that dog he is financially responsible for what occurred. (at least in Ca!) This happened to me on a bicycle and the homeowners insurance paid dearly.
    Desce, cmattina and neanderthal like this.
  5. Rhino-1

Rhino-1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This. And hold off selling anything for a good "cooling off" period. You are going through a natural "lucky and happy I survived" phase... Thanks for the great gear review! ;)
    CSI, JamesK513, Traxx and 2 others like this.
  6. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    Yes. Take your time and heal up those ribs.
    Renegade3 likes this.
  7. r-3350

r-3350 A.K.A. Carl

Oddometer:
    Hey, My name is also Carl and I had a similar wreck. Five years ago riding my 650 Versys on a back road I hit a dog and went down. There was no one around and the dog was dead. I was able to call 911 and the squad took me to the hospital. I had 7 broken ribs. All my riding gear was ruined as was my Shoei RF1000. The accident was on a Friday afternoon and I spent the night in the hospital. It took two years and a lawyer but my bike was fixed , gear replaced, hospital bill paid and some money for pain and suffering all paid for by the dog's owners homeowner's insurance.
    Xchemie, cmattina and ramblin66 like this.
  8. westernwa

westernwa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a scary experience. Sounds like you had the correct gear on and who knows how much pain and suffering that saved you from.
    I knew a fellah several years ago that had a tire blow-out on his Gold Wing and ended up sliding down the freeway. The road-rash he suffered through was epic.
  9. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny how having someone hold your hand in a time of need works magic.

As for selling the bike, not going to argue against it. All I'd suggest is waiting a bit until you both are calmer. We've gone through this too. At the moment, feeling are high. Perhaps, in a month or two or three, a more calm and thoughtful discussion can be had. And it still may the same position and result.
    JJaafar likes this.
  10. Hopin

Hopin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First, glad your relatively OK, gear works!

Iregardless of what folks in the country think, Tennessee has a state wide leash law, and the dogs owner is responsible for your crash, and the damages incurred! I got bit while on a bicycle and the owner had to pay the full tab for medical ER treatment.
    I had an accident in mid August that broke some ribs. I slept in a recliner for five weeks before returning to my bed! I continued to ride my motorcycle to work because it hurt less than getting in and out of my jeep. Heal fast!
    Barnaby'sDad and TDM Rider like this.
  11. TDM Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the well wishes. And have to agree with you Hopin, I think a recliner would be much better to sleep in than my bed. Sleeping has been the most difficult part of this ordeal.

And thanks for the info on TN's leash law. I am thinking about options to recover damages from the guy who owns the dog. His name and address were listed in the police report I received.
  12. lnewqban

lnewqban Ninjetter

Oddometer:
    How did they find out who the owner was?
    Did the dog survive?
    Wish you a speedy recovery.
  13. TDM Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the well wishes. As for the dog, I was told he did not survive. I think it was the dog's owner who first arrived on the scene. The police officer who first arrived on the scene happened to live next door and her roommate was the nurse who came to my aid. So it seems I picked a pretty good place to crash.

Insurance adjuster is coming in the morning so interested to see what he has to say about the bike.
  14. polarbearrider

polarbearrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Crap! Glad you are in relatively good shape. Geez........ bad luck for sure.

I wish you a speedy recovery—you and your partner. Best of luck.

Cheers,

C
  15. Pansy

Pansy Not much of an Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ATGATT Rules! Glad you're doing OK. Recliners are your friend for sure. And I'll agree with others to hold on to the bikes for awhile...
    after all autumn isn't the best time to sell.:-) (In case you need a good excuse)

Many moons ago when I took the MSF class the instructor told us to aim at the dog's middle ...so you'd avoid
    the skull & pelvis. Made sense but how often would you have time to plan that?

Hope you heal fast!
  16. Richy

Richy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried to stop for the first dog. He died and I crashed. The owner had no insurance, luckily I did. I was ATGATT so I only had a separated shoulder, and $6K damage to my bike. No lawyer would take my case.
    The other two dogs, I hit the throttle and they died, I kept riding. I had to stop after the second one and fix my shifter and the poor dogs owner almost went to the emergency room. One more word and he would’ve, too.
    Fuckin asshole.
    nevermind likes this.
  17. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    When I raced Rally Tennessee a bunch of years ago with my 950, the thing I was most scared of was hitting someones dog! Seems pretty much nobody down that way has any fucking clue what a leash is meant to do, or a fenced in yard, or anything to keep their dogs in check. Dogs were running all over the place. And not just right around there. Seems to be somewhat of a "Southern thing". I'm sure there are responsible dog owners down there, but I don't recall seeing anyone walking their dog on a leash.
    Oh, and on selling your 950...……..WAIT! You sell it, and you'll regret it. And you'll look at your bride and think...…………………………...why I oughtta!!! :lol3
    Luckily, my bride has been very tolerant in the last few mishaps I've had, dirt and street. Few broken bones ( ribs, collarbone, nasty wrist fracture), and one case of EPIC road rash on my calf. NEVER once even thought about saying I should give it up! Even when her Mom asked her if I was going to give up riding, Sue said she'd be more worried about my state of mind if I said I was going to hang it up.
    Heal up, take the Mrs. out for lots of romantic dinners, schmooze the hell out of her, and one fine Sunday when she's going to Mom's house and asks you what you're up to...……….show her your new Arai XD4!!!!

Ride On!

Chris
    Canyon Man and TxTrvlr like this.
  18. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you're ok.

I'm mixed about the whole dog thing. I live in an area where dogs are commonly left to their own devices and wander off the property of the owners but are generally well behaved. I have four legged visitors stop by from time to time and then go on their way back home. The only time I've ever put a dog of mine on a leash was when taking them to the vet though I do have an outdoor kennel for times when they want to be outside and I'm not going to be outside with them. Some have been more prone to wander than others though and they do occasionally go for a walk-about. Still, the odds of hitting a deer or even a bear in my area are WAY higher than the odds of hitting a dog. Who do you sue when that happens?

I've also been on the receiving side of dogs that run out into the road after motorcycles and that's not cool at all. I've owned dogs that tried to pick up the habit but I've found a little supervision and a shock collar go a long ways to breaking dangerous habits.
  19. llevt

llevt n00b

Oddometer:
  20. llevt

llevt n00b

Oddometer:
    I had a similar type accident about 6 years ago. Ended up with 3 broken ribs , punctured lung , broken collarbone , dislocated shoulder, lung surgery with a total of 10 days in the hospital. I was in so much pain I asked the doctor to put me out of my misery! A morphine pump got me through.

While in the hospital I contemplated not riding again, wondered if it was worth it. A few months later after a full recovery the memory of the misery soon faded. Riding and long distance touring is such a part of my life that I knew I had to get back on the saddle. Since my mishap I have ridden to Alaska, and all over the US. This year I have logged 35,000 miles.

I would wait before selling the bikes. You may have a different view once the pain subsides. Getting rest with broken ribs is tough.