Canister Removal

Discussion in 'Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much HP' started by Deviant, Aug 6, 2017.

1. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    But its nice to get it off the bike. More "uncluttered" 20171217_072002 (1).jpg
    Barekat likes this.
  2. kokos79

kokos79 Nomad

Oddometer:
    If you dropped it to the left/clutch lever side then it's probably the tank overfill/drain hose. It's on the left side of the tank filler cap.
  3. Deviant

Deviant aka KTM 1290SAdvR

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it came out of the tank vent line. Bikes that do not have the evap canister have a pressure valve that lets fumes out but not fuel. I don't think mine has that so it's just a direct line out now that the evap can is gone.
  4. kokos79

kokos79 Nomad

Oddometer:
    The check valve is within the filler neck, all bikes have it. If it was a small amount of fuel then it's normal. If it only stopped leaking when you lifted the bike back up then maybe it's stuck in the open position or you didn't have a lot of fuel in the tank and the bike was not laying completely horizontally.
  5. Deviant

Oddometer:
    You say that.. but the bike did not stop leaking until I picked it up, was a slow leak. Happened twice and I have no reason to think it was just stuck open, neither time was on a particularly hot day either. Bikes with the Evap can would have no use for the check valve as they do not, normally, vent to atmosphere.

That said, I don't know. Just a suspicion. If someone with a SAR/SAS has pulled the tank and seen the check valve then something's wrong with mine.
  6. tmark1301cc

tmark1301cc Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why pointless?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    KenDuro likes this.
  7. Swoop

Swoop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice, I'll pay attention to that.
  8. Swoop

Swoop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will watch them, Thank you.
  9. Deviant

Oddometer:
    Because it's unnecessary, can't be seen, and requires removing the tank - which is a lot for nothing if all you want is to free up space under the seat.

Also if you do remove it the bike will throw an error. So you can either leave it, take it off and deal with the error, or take it off and spend money on a dongle... That Rottweiler will sell you for $20 bucks.
  10. kokos79

kokos79 Nomad

Oddometer:
    I'm only saying that because every single bike I've owned , even the older ones from the early '90s , has had the check valve in the tank vent line and charcoal canisters were only introduced in Europe last year with Euro IV. It needs to breathe but at the same time they don't want fuel to come out in the event of a tip over. You obviously know your bike better and I'm not going to argue with that, but it would be interesting to find out what the story is.
    GoodOleBoy likes this.
  11. Deviant

Oddometer:
    You could very well be right. Just not sure why it'd leak fuel unless I don't have the valve or it's broken.

Thanks.
  12. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    The check valve is to help keep dirty ambient air out of the tank, not to prevent fuel coming out.
  13. Bluesilver

Bluesilver Long timer

Oddometer:
    20171230_073219.jpg
    20171230_153404.jpg

Brand new 1190SAS, KTM do not seemed concerned about the Canister system, 1 pipe crushed at the canister and another kinked under the throttle body at the T joint with no error codes showing.

I lobbed it all and fitted the dongle from Rottweiler....done.
  14. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:

Did you notice and noises it was making before and after...

I have full rottweiler kit in post...cant stand the air box rattle, and want the under seat space for tools
  15. Bluesilver

Bluesilver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not yet,only just finished fitting the Rottie system and PCV again.

Will check this week when the bike goes for a dyno session....
  16. kokos79

kokos79 Nomad

Oddometer:
    Dirty ambient air has little to no effect on petrol. Besides, lots of it enters the tank when you refuel. The valve is there to allow air in but prevent fuel from going out. If it didn't allow ambient air in to equalise the pressure, then the fuel pump would struggle to provide fuel when the fuel level went down. Think of a straw in a beer bottle.
    Deviant likes this.
  17. Jason4

Jason4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is everyone plugging the vacuum line with? If it's a bolt, is there a particular size that fits well?
  18. Deviant

Oddometer:
    I put the biggest bolt that fit in, was leftover from something else. Then wrapped it with electrical tape.
    Delnari, Barekat and ScooterNoMore like this.
  19. kingoffat

kingoffat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So coming into this late and was just wondering to remove the charcoal cannister from index the seat do I need to trace the fuel hose back and remove the tank. Or is there an easier way.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  20. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    You're right, I was thinking why it has a ball in the valve if it doesn't do anything to prevent the fuel coming out on tipover. Now I'm thinking it's designed so the ball seals to the top of the gasket to prevent fuel spill but it just doesn't work. It didn't occur to me that KTM could use such a poorly working design so was looking for an alternate reason for the ball to be there