Canister Removal

Discussion in 'Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much HP' started by Deviant, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Deviant

Deviant aka KTM 1290SAdvR

Oddometer:
    Which is it?
  2. 3rdgeargrndrr

3rdgeargrndrr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got used to the bike pissing in its sleep, you lose more fuel during a pump inspection anyway.
    [​IMG]
  3. Deviant

Deviant aka KTM 1290SAdvR

Oddometer:
    I guess there is that...

Anyway, gave up on the check valve for now. The stock one is integrated into the the fuel cap and I'm not seeing one that's slim enough to get into the gap. Oh well.
  4. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Based on this diagram and prior explanation, it seems that when removing the canister, BOTH hoses can be plugged. The one to the pump (as has always been said), as well as the one to the tank, since it tees off and still has a line down the side of the bike.

@RichardC is it this line, which is plugged from the factory, that you're saying to remove so that the tank can vent?
    ricardollreis likes this.
  5. kokos79

kokos79 Nomad

Oddometer:
    Don't do that unless you want to be posting about fuel geysers and boiling fuel.

*now read that you want to uncap the large hose that tees with the vent line. Yes, that will work.
  6. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Yes, right... I started writing that post before I realized the other "vent" line is plugged from the factory. Removing that plug and plugging both in the tail seems like it's easiest way to go.

Next time I have the tank off, I'll probably replace the T with a regular connector and get rid of the extra hose entirely, and plug the pump hose closer to the pump to tidy things up.
    ricardollreis likes this.
  7. kokos79

kokos79 Nomad

Oddometer:
    That is probably the best way to go with 2017+ models, IMHO, as it essentially is how things were before EuroIV.
  8. markgrolex

markgrolex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what do you mean by PUMP hose ? Pump ? you mean fuel tank or canister ?
  9. kokos79

kokos79 Nomad

Oddometer:
    I think he means the purge valve.
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  10. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's the one.
  11. MXDURO

MXDURO n00b

Oddometer:
    Would it be this plug on the bigger hose ?

Attached Files:

12. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    That's the one. I tried the smaller plug first but got nothing. The big one had a couple drips of gas come out when I removed it.
  13. MXDURO

MXDURO n00b

Oddometer:
    Just checked it a few minutes ago and yes a few drops of fuel came out and when you blow on it you hear it at the canister pipe and gas cap, so i removed the canister and blocked both pipes with M8 bolts. Now i have a nice storage space for the BMW tow belt and tools..
  14. Its not Ginger!

Its not Ginger! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did mine a little while ago, literally a 10 minute job.

Marked the hoses to the cannister so easy to put them back in the right spot, removed the cannister and then removed the big bung on the vent hose, checked this was the right one by blowing down the ones of the cannister (although the fuel that dribbled out had already given the game away)

I then put a couple of bolts down the ends of the cannister hoses and zip tied them up tight.

I left the cannister bracket in place as others have said removing this leaves a couple of holes that need bunging up, with the cannister out I was able to get my disc lock and a small can of chain lube under there which is all I really wanted to achieve anyway.

Best of all it cost nothing and can be returned to standard in 10 minutes.
  15. kingoffat

kingoffat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep meaning to do this, yous all make it sound easy do might be time to give it a try

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  16. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    If you're just opening up the drain next to engine and removing the canister and blocking the hoses in place, it take no time. The next time I have the tank off, I may actually remove the hoses... but then again I'm pretty lazy so I'll probably not bother.
  17. XFrog

XFrog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am thinking of trying this. My 2015 1190 ADV has a strong fuel smell after a ride and sometimes even during a break I will smell it. Full tank, hot weather in the 90's and a dirt road = fuel smell. I crossed my mind that maybe the hoses were connected to the wrong ports on the canister? I determined the hose w/ the printing on it is the tank vent hose, I could blow through it, and it was in the middle port and the PCV valve one was on the outer port. Was that the correct orientation? Does it even matter? Does it matter if the vent port on the other side of the can is oriented up or down in the bracket? Looks like the SA had it labeled on the rectangular canister, but the round can on the 1190 is not labeled.

Edit: I worked on my bike and I ended up pulling the tank vent to the front left so it is bundled with the others. I do not believe the capped vent, front left, should be un-capped as it looks like the airbox drain point to me. One of the others is the fuel cap area overflow drain, not sure on #3. I now have enough room for all my tools, including flat kit and some emergency stuff.

Frog
  18. Marotte

Marotte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stupid question: how the hell do you remove the big plug at the bottom of the hose? Even with the circlip gone, mine is stuck...
  19. Its not Ginger!

Its not Ginger! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brute force and ignorance did the trick for me
    Marotte likes this.
  20. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    I think I used a 90 degree pick to break the plug free from the hose.