Canister Removal

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by Deviant, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Its not Ginger!

Its not Ginger! Long timer

Oddometer:
    IIRC I just prised it out a bit with a screw driver and then got the pliers on it and twisted it the rest of the way - it was bastard tight!
  2. Andy_L

Andy_L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally got around to doing mine today. I did take a cup of hot water out to the garage with the thought of dunking the drain hose in it to make it more pliable, but it proved unnecessary: the plug came out easily enough by prying with a small screwdriver, then a larger one, then working it back and forth. Surprised how much fuel came out, there was a good slug of it in there. I wonder how much there'd have been if I'd never removed the plug until the 9000 mile service.
    Now that I can use the under-seat compartment, it occurred to me that items in there could move around and potentially foul the seat lock mechanism, so I made up a little guard to ensure that can't happen.

seat lock guard.jpg
    striped tomato and airald like this.
  3. Its not Ginger!

Its not Ginger! Long timer

Oddometer:
    I forgot about the fuel that came out, surprised me too, and it was a horrible colour, stank out the garage for a couple of days too.

Like the guard, great idea, I had left the cannister bracket in place which allows me to put a toolkit in it where the cannister would be, it then cannot slide back, but your way gives more room.
  4. grant123

grant123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i did the removal today, i simply ran the vent hose down with the rest of the overflow hoses and capped the hose that exits the solenoid.
    On a side note, the tank on this super adventure is a pain in the ass to remove and refit until you get the hang of it.
  5. 3rdgeargrndrr

3rdgeargrndrr Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 10th time you do it, you dont even think about it. Did you empty the tank first? 5 gallon/20L gas cans required for painless removal and reinstall
  6. grant123

grant123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i used one of the fuel taps to drain 5l out into an empty can i had, in the end it must of had about 10L of fuel
  7. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    You now have two fuel vent drain hoses in that cluster - you can safely plug both hoses that run to the canister as the fuel hose that goes back there is redudant, which means you didn't need to remove the tank at all :)

That said, the first time I took the tank off and replaced it, it was probably an hour of work while I figured out what order everything needed to happen in and find all of the fasteners. The second time (within 2 days of the first time), it was probably 15 minutes to take it off and put it back on.
  8. peter_tux

peter_tux in search for life on earth

Oddometer:
    great, I ended up doing the exact same, and now the tools can be tucked under the seat, together with a leatherman.
    many thanks for the idea @Sabu

all holes are 6mm, the distance between the center of the first 2 holes on the left is 40mm

bracket.jpg

lower edges are rolled due to the vicinity of the wiring loom.
    bracket_mounted.jpg

job done. access to the fuse box becomes more complicated, but meh, nothing is perfect.
    job_done.jpg
  9. jgiachino

jgiachino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just did mine and 1 minute after realized I bought a Scott oiler that needs vacuum....will tapping into the plugged purge line still provide reasonable vacuum or no since it's plugged? guess I could always put back under the seat with K*N mini filter.

Fit KTM Tool bag, tire patch kit, pump, helmet lock, rod straps...nice! SDR get's full akra exhaust next Saturday so ii'll let dealer take that sas/canister off....
  10. airald

airald Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank's for the idea, here's my version of lock guard.

[​IMG]
    lockguard.jpg
  11. houlster

houlster Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like that. Care to share a drawing for it?
    UTfreerider likes this.
  12. dypen

dypen "curious to know"

Oddometer:
    Sensible solution that the KTM store and the authorities will accept
  13. WFO1

WFO1 Living the Dream Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I plugged my hoses and had a vapor lock issue that wouldn't allow the gas cap to open. I pulled one line out and discarded. The other I put a small filter on. Never had another issue.
  14. Pipefighter76

Pipefighter76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just dropped my bike this afternoon and couldn’t get her back upright for a bit. I shut the valves off but still got a bit load of gas out of the tail section. With the bike laying on the right side gas ran down over the exhaust. How smart is that? I was thinking I was going to have a total loss just from dropping her over. Luckily I had a T-shirt to soak up all the gas before it could run everywhere. Seems like it would be smarter to have it come out the bottom like every other bike I have ever owned. So what’s the purpose of the canister again? I have to do something about this here situation...
  15. Saltboxlad

Saltboxlad Long timer

Oddometer:

Dont seem right, mines been over on its right side for a while and I didnt get any fuel spillage. When did you last remove the plug on the bottom of the large vent pipe down by the oil tank? I do mine every couple of thousand miles and there is always a good 50ml or so of fuel in there, maybe that backed up on yours?
  16. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Isnt there a check valve in there? By the filler I think. Maybe yours works and his didnt?
  17. Saltboxlad

Saltboxlad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, part of the filler neck I think, ball bearing thingy from memory?
    rick danger likes this.
  18. Cabrito

Cabrito Looking for work Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Saltboxlad,
    Did you remove your canister and just plug the lines in the tail section? If so, do you just drain the big plug at the bottom vent line occasionally?
  19. Saltboxlad

Saltboxlad Long timer

Oddometer:
    No mate, my canister is still fitted. If you remove the canister the large plug is removed for good
    Cabrito likes this.
  20. dypen

dypen "curious to know"

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the good advice :)

Attached Files:

peter_tux and Cabrito like this.