Canisterectomy Lite.

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by rjudge, Sep 1, 2005.

1. rjudge

rjudge Texan from near Muskogee

Oddometer:
    Today I unhooked the hoses to both tank vents and plugged the hoses to the canister. I put two generous lengths of hose on the vents and routed them to below the skid plate area. I rode 167 mi before the fuel warning light came on. Success! Best before this mod was 103 mi. I put about 2.3 gal in each tank. Before, the right tank would be less than 1 gal. No change in the bikes performance. Real easy to do. Top six bolts come off the side panels and do the mod then button up. BTW, how low can you go after the fuel light comes on? I averaged 37 mpg.

Rick
  2. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    What your story tells me is that your right-side tank had a kinked line to the canister which you 'corrected' by running new vent lines. Had you fixed the vent line problem, your canister-equipped bike should have run exactly the same and returned the same mileage as your newly-illegal bike does.

Low fuel warning typically appears on mine around 180 miles, after which I have pretty consistently run 25 miles without an out-of-fuel experience. Generally about 39-40mpg on mine.

mully
  3. -r0b-

-r0b- Failure is NOT an Option

Oddometer:
    I agree with Mully. 103 miles on a tank when the low-fuel indicator comes on is damn near half of where it should be. Something else was wrong.
  4. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    The EVAP system does not rob you of fuel mileage, a kinked vent line does not rob you of fuel mileage, but it does not allow you to use all the fuel available. You simply corrected an installation problem by eliminating the entire EVAP system. Like said above, a properly working EVAP system will give you the same results. Enjoy
  5. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Farging net nannies here too? :(: Whoda thunk it?

M
  6. jsrider

jsrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Until you kink the vent hose again and this time it hydrolocks your engine.
  7. rjudge

rjudge Texan from near Muskogee

Oddometer:
    HeHeHe, Yes.

Mully, Rob & NineFive0,

I thought all that you said was/is correct. It was never a MPG problem, just the right tank never got used. My problem was definitely some kind of obstruction in the upper cross vent hose between the tanks or was an obstruction between the lower cross fuel hose between the tanks. Since opening the gas caps seemed to allow fuel to cross to the left tank, the upper vent was the culprit. I did a quick look for a kink but none was found. Since there is a rather large number of people that have had problems with fuel from the tanks getting into the canister and causing big problems, I elected to isolate the two systems from each other. Two problems, one real and one potential, solved. And it's not a installation problem if so many bikes have it, it's a design flaw.

JSRider,

Exactly. Or I fall over with the same results. That should never happen in my present configuration. (The Canister problem, not the falling down problem)

RJ