Cannisterectomy Lite

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by furndog, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I have a friend trying to locate this line with the plug, is it directly behind the exhaust pipe?

I'm of no use as my 950 came post-ectomy.
  2. Maxmoto

Maxmoto Anarchist Adventurer

Oddometer:
    no one got an idea???
  3. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, just stayed up late last night reading all the cool KTM tech links and found this one!!! THANKS A MILLION!!!

I found it as stated just behind the exhaust and there are a few hosed to choose from back there, but only one with the "plug". I pulled it out and found the same as everyone, just not as much fluid, but it's nice to know that it is there.

I just recently purchased my 2005 950A used from the looks of it, it has not seen much off-raod use. i have changed that!

again, thanks for this post!!!
  4. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Thanks so much for this tip! I had a minor tip over with my new SuperEnduro on Saturday, and sure enough, it started with difficulty. I didn't know of this drain plug, so had to drive about an hour non-stop inorder to evaporate the gas from the cannister (which is conveniently located under the seat, over the exhaust cannisters!).

Just for those with the SE, the little nerl (sic?) nut is located just behind the right side of the oil reservoir. Easy to get at, without burning your hands on the exhaust pipe. Mine produced an ounce of yellow/pink goo and gas.

Question for the engineers in the group. The diagram on page 33 of the parts PDF is interesting:
    http://www.ktm-parts.com/pdf/KTM2007/2007_950SE.pdf

It looks like the cannister is protected by one way valves in two places. The only way gas can get into the cannister, at least the way that I read this diagram, is through the vent tubing from the gas cap. If that's so, then you should be able to prevent gas from getting into the cannister by quickly disconnecting the vent tubing from the gas cap when you tip over. Kill switch of course first, then vent tubing.

Think I am correct about this?

later, barry
  5. FlowBee

FlowBee Just me.

Oddometer:
    FYI: As you'd expect, its in the same place on the SM. I pulled mine and nothing, but then I haven't dropped my bike.

yet. :lol3
  6. jsrider

jsrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you do the canisterectomy as well, the knurled canister drain plug turns into a nice plug for the operative vacuum line.
  7. Jolly705

Jolly705 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great post, Docgonzo lead me in this direction and I just pulled my plug and tons of crap came flying out. I was having trouble starting the bike when it was hot and some smoke always came out when it did fire up. Hopefully problem solved :clap
  8. phixmup

phixmup ride'n 2 live Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The bike had its baptisim in a creek crossing last weekend & was hard to start after that, i just pulled the plug & got the same goop & gas out of it. Has anyone hear done the full surguery yet on there SE?
  9. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    canisterectomy super superlight on se=just clip the line right out of the fuel tank and seal it, then just use a standard vent on the tank??????
  10. Gert

Gert Made in Denmark

Oddometer:
    BUT the SE does not have a lot of storage space. There is a little bit under the seat, but it is shared with the toolkit, the battery, the fuseblock and a bunch of relays. HOWEVER the canister and at least one of the valves are located just aft of that compartment in the tail.

I've not had any problems with the system so far, but when looking at all that space that would become available when doing a total canisterectomy... Looks like it would be a good place to store more tools / a spare tube.

Only problem is: What to do with the hoses that go to the carbs? Plug 'em ? Leave them open ?

Here is where the canister is at:

Attached Files:

11. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    well on the standard canisterectomy the valve under the air box is binned, the carb vents go into a y in the box then terminate 1 inch below the box (or better for dust contamination and water crossing-into a T below the box with one line going to the bottom of the bike and one into a 640 type carb vent filter) and left side vacuum ports sealed and right left as is for carb synch.---maybe the se has a different set up though
  12. ktmkev

ktmkev Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On my KLR 650 it had a plastic plug in one of the carb vent lines, and the book said it was plugged so it didn't puke on your rear wheel, as you ride. You have to drain it once in a while.

KTM KEV
  13. ddriggs

ddriggs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is there supposed to be one of these canister drain lines on the 990 Adventures? Other than removing the canister, what is KTM's suggested remedy after overfilling the tanks or dropping the bike?
  14. Zeeowh

Zeeowh Wish i was out riding....

Oddometer:
    I just bought a new 07 and would like to know this also?? :ear :ear
  15. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    There is no drain line with a knurled knob (like on the carbed 950) for the F.I. 990. The 990 only has the tanks to vent. There is no KTM suggested remedy to clearing a flooded canister. Their suggestion is to not overfill the fuel tank. The OC suggested remedy is to remove the canister and vent the tanks to atmosphere the way the bike was originally designed and is still configured in Europe, Africa, Australia, etc.
    :freaky
  16. Zeeowh

Zeeowh Wish i was out riding....

Oddometer:
    Thanks CP. I thought that cos of the FI there would not be an issue.
  17. Splisken

Splisken I'm not dead yet...

Oddometer:
    Late post to an old thread, I know...just wanted to throw my acknowledgement into the ring for the canisterectomy lite solution too. It works without a doubt on my 950 SE though I stumbled upon it out of frustration 3 days after i bought the bike back in '07. I dropped the bike going down some tight, steep, downhill twisties on the fire road leading to my house when a truck came flyin' around one of them right at me. I admit I had a street reflex and grabbed a bit o' front brake which threw me to the ground pronto. I was able to start the bike right away but it ran rough for the next few days. Anyway, I was just cleaning it up and poking around when I noticed the knurled knob and wondered what the heck it was for...I traced it back to its source and it hit me...pull it off, let drain...wholla! Smooth sailing from then on. I haven't had to retest this theory since then but as I understand it this only works if the bike is dropped on the right side :huh...can anyone confirm or deny this? It ,might be good to know in the future.

I'm looking for info. on the full canisterectomy for me 950 SE which is how I stumbled upon this thread...if anyone has the link I'd appreciate a PM or point in the right direction.
  18. AdvGa

AdvGa Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. Splisken

Splisken I'm not dead yet...

Oddometer:
  20. AdvGa

AdvGa Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are welcome!