CannonRide - Ozark Adventure Tour (OZAT) (MO/AR)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip! I added the waypoint for it on the GPX for this ride (which I will soon publish). Looks like a nice spot. Some may want to include it on their trip.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Donniejoe

Donniejoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Come back to Arkansas. We have pie and Petit Jean bacon.
    abramsgunner and Cannonshot like this.
  3. holligl

holligl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR. Appreciate all the insight. Someone from Iowa had mentioned this area to me a few weeks ago. Being from Illinois it would be a relatively easy trip. I got a Super Tenere last July and have been wanting to do some thing like this. Not sure I would want to do it solo yet though. Also, since you are so involved in Wisconsin riding, I wonder if you have a separate thread or link for riding there.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Cannonshot likes this.
  4. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Get a sturdy bash plate for that Tenere before you go.

Regarding Wisconsin rides, I keep this thread: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/wisconsin-area-rides-events.201507/

I also publish a lot of my mapped rides via this site: https://cannonshot.net/wp/category/gps/

You should be able to pull some Tenere rides off of those if you are a GPS user.
  5. abramsgunner

abramsgunner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dude... that's not even funny....LOL I remember some great country ham sandwiches at a little shop somewhere near Petit Jean State Park. I hadn't thought about them in a loooong time. Now I'm hungry!

PS: I think this was my favorite place to hang out and relax.... Long Pool Rec Area North of Dover....

ARLONP1.jpg
    Cannonshot and c-zulu like this.
  6. Theroadwarrior1

Theroadwarrior1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After checking back in with the ride report, I will like to say that the Kimberling City bridge on table rock is now under water, I guess water is now over many river crossings across the area. We got closer to 9" of rain here. The Beaver is feeding table rock, the Core of Engineers are letting out 55,000Cft of water a second out of Table rock , which is spilling into Tanycomo, which is feeding bull shoals. They complain that they get flooded but this has happened several times in the past, that's the risk you take to live lake side

Branson is like Vegas minus the gambling, it is oversaturated with shows and go cart tracks. Its a desolate ghost town in the winter-Springs months, but once it gets warm SDC and white Water are packed like a heard of animals.
    If you can get to Rockaway beach, La Pizza Cellar is a jamming pizza place. Ride safe

Videos of the flooding.
    http://www.ky3.com/content/news/DRO...-at-the-Kimberling-City-Bridge-420921123.html

There is normally 15-20ft of clearance of water to the girders of the bridge I rode over this last weekend

http://www.ky3.com/video/?vid=420899513
    http://www.ky3.com/video/?vid=420913633

The branson airport got some media coverage a while back when a 747 Dreamliner landed there. Needless to say after your photo of the airport to realize how short the runway is, this could of been a bad bad deal

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/southwe...rong-airport-say-runway-lights-confused-them/
    TonyKZ1 and Cannonshot like this.
  7. holligl

holligl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot likes this.
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Wow, it just keeps getting worse with the water. I read about that Southwest 737 that mistakenly landed at the general aviation airport with a 3,738' runway. I heard that the plane, with 129 passengers, had 40' to spare when they finally stopped with hard braking. Looking at the runway end drop offs, it could have been a real disaster.
    [​IMG]

The one they should have landed at.
    [​IMG]
    You're welcome! I put together that kind of stuff to help other riders. Good to see you make use of it.

Someone asked me about tires. I used Heidenau Scouts with somewhat aggressive tread on my Tenere. They were fine both off pavement and on. I'm sure there are other choices with similar or better features and performance. The question about 50/50 type tires that may be a bit smoother came up. I can only say that there is a lot of loose gravel to slide or roll around on and some of the rocks in the water can be slick. In balance, for me personally, I'd rather lean toward something more aggressive for the off-pavement sections.
    [​IMG]
    Shaggie, RiderRick and Max Wedge like this.
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 7 - Continued

Heading up to Ava. Part I - Glade Top Trail

[​IMG]

There are driving directions available for this scenic byway.
    [​IMG]

This thing is like a parkway compared to the rugged stuff I had been riding elsewhere.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great path. The gravel can be a little marbley traction wise.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The "Grade" Top Trail
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of Big Dog on the Glade Top when we were riding it back in 2008. I think Mark had us visiting some mills in the area. Seems to me we got blocked a couple of times by high water (not on the Glade Top) back then too. I have some of those mills waypointed in the GPX if anyone wants a side trip. I also waypointed the small nearby town of Theodosia. The main character (fiction not the actor) in Million Dollar Baby claims to be from there. They made a couple of errors in the movie during the visit to Theodosia (wrong highway signs and some palm trees). By the way, thanks Mark for adding some information to this report to help make it a more complete reference for others that want to give the OZAT a spin. Much appreciated!
    [​IMG]

Some of that pesky high water from back then.
    [​IMG]
    Shaggie, TonyKZ1 and Max Wedge like this.
  11. CalamariKid

CalamariKid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, really enjoying reading along. You shared a pic of Turpintine Creek Wildlife Refuge outside of Eureka Springs. Scott Smith and his wife Tanya run the place which is a home to rescued big cats (lions, and tigers and even a bear or two). They do a dual sport ride as a fundraiser each year call the Arkansas 300 which is spread over a long weekend. I've gone twice - well organized and a lot of fun leaving with the growling in the background.
    njoytheride and Cannonshot like this.
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 7 - Continued

Continuing to Ava

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Ranger Station in AVA is actually a historic district.
    [​IMG]

Off the top of my head, I'd say this is a 1930 McCormick (Model 1020). :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The CCC built the now historic buildings here in 1936.
    [​IMG]

One problem with having historic buildings is that you can't improve them much. That could be a drawback. One of the rangers I work with in Wisconsin was stationed here for a while. I'll have to share these pix with him.
    [​IMG]

Ava. About 3,000 people with a median income of $22,331.
    [​IMG]

Haven't seen a dealer like this in years.
    [​IMG]

Looks like Sully is playing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Looks like an interesting place. Pretty cool that they host a dual sport!
    Max Wedge likes this.
  14. sophijo

sophijo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another great one!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  15. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
  16. usagi

usagi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Being an Ava resident (rural extension), a few things to note from your pictures.

Sallee isn't actually a dealer anymore. Just a mechanic shop
    [​IMG]

Our Theater went under a few months ago and they just never took down the sign.
    [​IMG]

Ava Drug has been semi-famous for its 5c Coke and 10c ice-cream.
    As of last week, FDA regs have forced it to shutter the soda fountain operation
    [​IMG]

I work here!
    [​IMG]

It's too bad you didn't visit nearby Rockbridge Mill while riding through.
    That is the old mill building. About 8ft under water. Some walls were torn off and everything inside washed down-stream. Much of it snatched up by looters.
    [​IMG]
  17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 7 - to the finish at Waynesville/Fort Leonard Wood.

[​IMG]

J.B. Hunt is a northwest Arkansas company. This guy started with 5 trucks and 7 trailers. Now they have 22,000+ employees, do $7B in business, and run more than 12,000 trucks and 100,000 trailers.
    [​IMG]

Coincidentally, the plant next to this train makes suspension systems for trailers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Laura Ingalls Wilder is known for her Little House on the Prairie books. She started out on a frontier farm in Wisconsin and ended up here in Mansfield.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Her former house here is a museum.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

She was quite a prolific writer
    of children's books.
    [​IMG]

Hartville was the scene of a significant battle during the Civil War. They did a good job documenting it on these panels.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is interesting to look around the area knowing a bit about the battle here. The confederates had a significant loss of leaders during this battle that hurt them later on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the two original transamerica bicycle routes.
    [​IMG]

No, I'm not climbing this - especially not in motorcycle boots (apart from a broken bone). I have been a paratrooper and a pilot and I'm still not climbing this thing. I don't even really like being 6' 2" tall.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice riding in the area.
    [​IMG]

Not climbing this one either.
    [​IMG]

The route finishes up in Waynesville near Fort Lenny Wood.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Shaggie, TonyKZ1, RiderRick and 2 others like this.
  18. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    OK, there you have it: The Ozark Adventure Tour (OZAT)

About 1,000 pictures.

831 waypoints.
    [​IMG]

18 primary tracks.

7 alternates/go-arounds.

The entire route is about 1965 miles.

An abbreviated version (Pocahontas to Parks) is about 1209 miles.

[​IMG]

Plenty of motels and camping available along the path.

I proofed it in a period of 7 very long days. It will take most people 10-14 days to cover the entire route at a comfortable rate and take in some of the points of interest.

The route is intended for big bikes, but I did warn some big bike riders off of some sections between Mena and Parks.

I'll get the GPX posted this afternoon. Doesn't look like anyone can ride it until the current historic flooding clears out.

Full route - about 2,000 miles.
    [​IMG]

Abbreviated route - about 1,200 miles
    [​IMG]
  19. Max Wedge

Max Wedge ADVenture mowing

Oddometer:
    Bravo! thanks again for taking the time to post the pics and bring us the history. Can a civilian walk around at Fort Leonard Wood? My kids spent some time there before their global adventures. I would have liked to explore it more, but they were in a rush to get out of Missery.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  20. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Great work as always!
    Cannonshot likes this.