CannonRide - Ozark Adventure Tour (OZAT) (MO/AR)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I think you can get a visitor's pass if you are going to the museum, etc. You'll need insurance documents for your vehicle. Not sure of how things are these days. http://www.wood.army.mil/LEC/SOB/Access Control and Gate Information.html

I did a visit to an AFB where I didn't tell them I was retired military. They did a record check. I then walked in to see the nearby museum.
  2. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    The GPX is now posted for download in two locations. References to the file should always be to one of these sources. This allows me to update the file as changes are required and keeps out of date copies of the file from floating around the internet with bad information.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ozark-adventure-tour-ozat-mo-ar.1223209/

http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71

By the way, I visited the ortho guy this morning. Three breaks are healing well and nothing has moved. Should be able to get this ball and chain off my leg in about three weeks so I can start riding again!
  3. GoMotor

GoMotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Do you suppose they have a toilet in the cabin up there?
    Max Wedge and Cannonshot like this.
  4. Otis the Sasquatch

Otis the Sasquatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't linger under it. Just in case.

That might not be rain.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  5. bsheet2

bsheet2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Thanks so much for your effort and providing all the history and files. This will make an awesome ride. Got it in my bucket list!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I forgot to mention that all that hammering on the rugged stuff between Mena and Parks took out one of my headlight bulb filaments. No big deal as I have two headlamps, a replacement bulb is available in an auto parts store, and swapping it out is easy. Some may want to think about this eventuality if they rely on a single bulb. My tail light is LED so I had no problem there. Others with a standard bulb may have a problem.
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pocahontas business district is flooded.

Update: Levee busted on the Black River at Pocahontas.
    [​IMG]

Eleven levee breaches tearing things up at Walnut Ridge. BNSF main line is overrun.

Remember that flood control dam and reservoir they turned down on the Meramec River? I mentioned it early in the report. Widespread flooding. Interstate highway is closed nearer to St. Louis. St Louis is isolated from the southeast with roads closed. Closures are expected to last a week.
    CalamariKid and scarysharkface like this.
  8. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    :bow

Once again setting the platinum standard in "ride reports"!
  9. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer:
    I went to high school with Barry Seal's daughter here in Baton Rouge.

He was sentenced to stay at a halfway house the Salvation Army ran that was attached to their thrift store on Airline Highway here in town.

There are rumors floating around that a certain disgraced military Col. who got hung up in the Iran Contra affair and has a steady gig on a TV show called War Stories was standing in the parking lot of the Belmont Hotel as he watched the Columbians kill Seal with their fully auto Mac 10's.

My dad knew Barry and I used to sit with them as a youngster for hours at my dads restaurant listening to them talk about flying.

Dirty
  10. Smidty

Smidty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic report, love the history thrown in.

Thanks
    Cannonshot likes this.
  11. 12ride

12ride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    E="GoMotor, post: 32171042, member: 142327"][​IMG]

Do you suppose they have a toilet in the cabin up there?[/QUOTE]
    No but they do have an outdoor privy near the tower. It has come in handy more than once. ( all towers that I am aware of have one.)
  12. Chipper

Chipper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent rr as always. You have a talent for them. what kind of maps do you have on the 276cx?
  13. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks. In this case I put a Garmin Topo 24K card in the unit with maps for this area. Topo 100K would be fine. Topo seems better than a highway map since it shows elevation and water.
  14. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it!

Thanks. I hope you have a great trip when you get to it!

Thanks Bob. Just trying to help and encourage the next rider (and entertain a few along the way). :D

Cool stuff. It will be interesting to see what they work into the movie this fall.

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed the history. Makes it a little more interesting for some.
  15. Theroadwarrior1

Theroadwarrior1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :beccaGreat work with the riding and reporting. I enjoyed it a lot even though I ride these roads all the time. We are really fortunate around here with everything that's so close. Hope you made it home safe. If it keeps raining im going to have to put pontoons on the old Suzuki to get around the area for a while. The 100 year flood that has happened 2/3 of the last years
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks! It looks like that flooding has taken a heavy toll. A friend of mine just told me that the horse camp at Eminence was wiped out with the structures being floated down the river. There are pix in this post of the camp from the air before it was destroyed. I think the big arena might have survived. I guess that motel I stayed at flooded out as well.

Just a reminder that we don't want to repost versions of these tracks on other sites around the web since I can't update them as I become aware of land use changes. Like I posted earlier, references to the tracks should always link back to the two source sites as posted previously. Thanks.
  17. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Here's another overview of the OZAT

OZAT Overview.png
  18. mxer201

mxer201 n00b

Oddometer:
    My brother and I rode the difficult section you are warning large bikes about on our DR and KLR650s. Forestry road 7170. Goggle map has it as a dead end from county road 70 but my national forest road map and gps showed it going through eventually to highway 270. What is depicted as the end by Google is just the beginning of the challenge. What a challenge! And I don't believe you are who you say you are. Cannonride is your alias for Graham Jarvis:-). Only someone with his skill or close to it could have manhandled a fully loaded adventure bike through there. The further I went the more I thought what have I gotten myself into? A sort of steep down hill after one of the hairpin turns resulted in the skid plate, frame, or suspension linkage making hard contact with mother earth, fortunately no damage that I can find. Perhaps the same area you mentioned doing the same? After bouncing around and dodging softball to soccer ball sized rocks we finally made it out. Thinking the whole time I wouldn't have a prayer of a chance getting through on my DL1000. Great link and looking forward to others whenever you ride Arkansas again.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your experience there! I'm glad it worked out well on the DR and the KLR. You can see why I made it a point to warn some big bike riders about that segment. I'd feel bad if someone got hurt or broke their bike without having an idea of what they were getting into. :thumb

I think we both bottomed out on that same downhill segment - bash plate required.
  20. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got home today from finishing the OZAT.
    What a ride it was----and I thank you again Bryan.
    Pretty sure I was the first to try it------maybe finish it------don't know ?????

It took me 2 tries-----------the first on my KTM690. I made it to Blanchard Springs Campground on that bike and what a nice campground.
    I hauled my bike near the start and left my van at my buddy Tom Huffs house.
    P4170002 (1024x768).jpg

Great Riding
    P4170016 (1024x768).jpg

But it was at Blanchard Springs Caverns I got really sick.
    Now this was before the rains and floods mind you.

I'll not get into all the details of my tummy ache from hell-----------but it was bad and kind of scared me as I'd never had anything like it before----and after talking to me wife it was decided it was best I went home.
    Good thing I did---------------the rains from hell came---------Arkansas and Missouri went under water--------and still is somewhat today.

So I regroup------------and have this itch to finish.
    So I bring out the big gun.
    DSCF2435 (1024x667).jpg

So how did that end up you ask ?????
    I'm not going to post all the trip on here---this is Bryans thread.
    Story to follow on my website when I get the time--might be awhile.
    The story won't be on AdvRider.
    What a cliff hangar that is.
    But I did finish it--riding alone on the big bike and took Bryan's advice on what I should avoid on the big girl-------let alone riding it alone.
    DSCF2465 (1024x761).jpg
    cateyetech, MarkM, sdd04 and 5 others like this.