CannonRide - Ozark Adventure Tour (OZAT) (MO/AR)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Cool stuff.

Having been a paratrooper (years ago) I was happy to get a look inside a USFS plane like that set up for smoke jumpers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pilot told me they don't fly many hours.

[​IMG]
    woodzrider and simmons1 like this.
  2. woodzrider

woodzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah-we call them flying buses. One of the upgrades includes a new"glass" cockpit. Does it look any different inside then they used to? Sorry for the hijack- please continue.......
    Cannonshot likes this.
  3. Ozark08

Ozark08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, this is awesome! I live right along the route, so PLEASE absolutely anyone get in touch if you need a place to crash, need tools, whatever. I'm around the corner from the TAT shack ironically enough. I stock beer AND always have great bourbon on hand :) Hope to meet some people in the future! Just shoot me a PM in advance

Attached Files:

Nick MN, MarkM and Cannonshot like this.
  4. Theroadwarrior1

Theroadwarrior1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agreed with Ozark08, if anyone is in the area and needs anything shoot me a PM. I am a full time student so with enough advance i can help with tools and beer also, mainly the beer :) Bourbon isnt my cup of tea. If anyone in the area needs motorcycle work i recommend Skunkwerks Moto in Springfield. Great guys and I believe they have a rental room available for weary travelers
  5. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to say thank you for putting this together.

A couple of weeks ago my brother, a High School friend of his, and myself rented a cabin at Ouachita River Haven and rode around the general area exploring. I had downloaded some of your tracks and we used them from time to time. This particular section was an interest to me since our last day we went out to Fourche Mountain Trails (https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/ouachita/recreation/ohv/recarea/?recid=10770&actid=93) and rode that park on our WR250Rs.

At one point we got turned around in the park and decided it probably was time to head back to the parking area. Since we had our Montana GPS units logging tracks and had dropped a waypoint at the parking are we figured we would just turn around and ride back.

That was until I saw this waypoint you marked which said "No Big Bikes". With some creative on the fly routing it looked like we could head that way back to the parking area. Well you were not kidding! I would not have wanted to take may Strom down some of those trails. As it turns out that trail is part of the Fourche Mountain Trail Park and is rated as the most severe trail that they had. It was a blast on the little WRR's but I can imagine it would be a big handful on a big bike!

Again, many thanks for the post and I hope to get back out there soon.
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I'm glad this proved helpful to you. There is so much nice riding in that area and the scenery is great. That "no big bikes" section was pretty interesting. Glad I was going the direction I was instead of trying to negotiate that steeper climb on a big bike. Seems like it would be lots of fun on something smaller and lighter.
  7. JayElDee

JayElDee not saying what I mean Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a turnaround in that area on my 1200gs, I was riding out of Glenwood, I think on 8? or 40? turned to gravel then dirt, then to baseball sized deep sharp edged granite and started making turns and was very steep. This was way beyond my ken, and I did a 15 point turnaround and headed back, older and wiser and not ashamed. You can get into some pretty gnarley stuff in them thar hills
  8. Doctor Zed

Doctor Zed Resident

Oddometer:
    I'm going to give this a more in depth read.
    Looks like a good ride.

Is this something that could be ridden on a Honda NC700X:wave
  9. Crimsongost

Crimsongost Anything but n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Spend the last 2 days playing in the woods (Old, Fat guy on a 05 GS). Spent last night at Ozark Inn and suites (needed a shower). Headed to hot springs today. I have had a blast so far! Thanks for the details, I normally ride alone and this level of info makes me feel much more comfortable. If you are ever in Baton Rouge or New Orleans area let me know, I owe you dinner and drinks (a couple of drinks).
    Thanks Again!
    Mitchell
  10. Crimsongost

Crimsongost Anything but n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am riding on this pig with out issues. Read the entire post, take notes, make good decisions :)
    IMG_20191203_153109247_HDR.jpg chimney.jpg
  11. Doctor Zed

Doctor Zed Resident

Oddometer:
    i-XKTknvn-L.jpg CTCO%20009-L.jpg CTCO%20001-L.jpg
    The ol' NC does just about as well as you could imagine from an "Adventure Styled" bike:deal
    scarysharkface, STRich and CapitalG5 like this.
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mitchell! I try to write these things to help out the next rider(s) with a trip of their own. I'm glad the report was helpful to you and that it encouraged you to experience some of the great riding in the area.
    CapitalG5, sieg and scarysharkface like this.
  13. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    That’s quite a cockpit.
  14. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Indeed it is. :D
  15. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Planning on the abbreviated route second week of October. Will be on large bikes.

Any one here of any reroutes necessary?
  16. parkers30

parkers30 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I suppose imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but It could make for some additions for those interested. it appears to be fairly central in the OZAT tracks

njoytheride and JonnyH913 like this.
  17. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just from the start I'm thinking not big bike friendly.
  18. Javelinky

Javelinky Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this . Great read .
    Cannonshot likes this.