CannonRide - Ozark Adventure Tour (OZAT) (MO/AR)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Apr 11, 2017.

1. uska

uska Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are on our newly acquired ktm 1290 super adv r. We just did part of the southern t.w.a.t and some of your lacrosse tracks, seemed like we did 330 miles on our first trip with the bike and we didnt get beat up too much. It was mostly all paved though. We will be trailering our bike from chicago area and were thinking of starting near pocahontas, but figured maybe we should start where the hills begin..
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I'd take a look at the report to see what POIs interest you along with the riding. The riding is all pretty good, but you might want to focus on the national forest sections in green. Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great trip!
  3. JayElDee

JayElDee not saying what I mean Supporter

Oddometer:
    where is your start and your finish? Are you doing paved or unpaved? Where is your base?
    The rocky stuff can get pretty gnarly, esp for a big bike. If you have three riding days, as I often do when I get my Ark fix. I based out of Jasper and take day rides...from memory, look at a map and see if I am wrong...when in doubt take the squiggly road. There is GREAT pavement there.
    1) 74 east to 123 to 65 to 215 to 14 to 341 (Push Mountain Road, one of the best sweepers roads in the country, I think) to 5 to Mountain Home to 27 to 7 to 123( some sig hairpins) to 374? to 7 to Jasper
    2) 74 west to Boxley to Kingston then toward 123 (Pig Trail) South to Turner's Bend for homemade sandwiches then back , I think 215 east to Oark to 104 and left on 3390 to 21 N to 16 to 7 and back to Jasper.
    3) 7 south toward Clarksville, then over Mount Magazine and figure out a way back
    All of that is well paved, two lane chip and seal, wonderful roads with usually little and manageable traffic.
    Those routes, iirc are all under 300 miles and very nice for a good day ride.
    Jasper is a great base, The Arkansas House is a nice place to stay, and walking distance to the Ozark Cafe or the Blue Mountain Deli
    Newton county is dry so arrive prepared if that is your pleasure.

The closer you get to Eureka Springs the more traffic. I would avoid Hot Springs completely, congested and touristy. If this is a purely motorcycle trip for the riding Hot Springs adds nothing and imo detracts.

You could also base out of Clarksville, but Jasper is far preferable, again IMO
    Arkansas has wonderful roads, Cali roads may (or may not) be better, but for having roads to yourself, without Ma and pa kettle in their RV, and little to no LEO, it is hard to beat. It is FUN to ride.
    These are by no means the only good rides or roads, but having been there many times, these work for me.
    I am on a 1200GS with street tires
    hope this helps
  4. TwoBeers

TwoBeers n00b

Oddometer:
    Canonshot, do the Cyan & Magenta sections of the route denote pavement vs. non-pavement?
  5. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    No, although I see one of the magenta paths is paved. There is a mix of paved and unpaved throughout all of the tracks.
  6. allonsye

allonsye ("lets go!")

Oddometer:
    Great thread! I’m looking for sage touring advice; we’re planning a loop through MO/AR in a few weeks. Starting ending in Caryle IL (trailering from Harrisonburg VA). Me on the ST, she on her F650GS twin. We have the Butler map. It recommends a particular 1200 mi loop. I was thinking starting from Ste Genevieve, going CW and staying mostly paved in order to get the most miles and sites in. I’m looking for waypoint suggestions.
    The Butler has a plethora of suggestions to choose from. We’ve a week to devote to this.
    joenuclear likes this.