CannonRide - Ozark Adventure Tour (OZAT) (MO/AR)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Day 2 - Continued

Continuing on to Smithville

Smithville at one time was the county seat. They lost that to Powhatan which had the benefit of riverboat traffic.
    [​IMG]

This was an important crossroads during the civil war. From what I have been reading, times were tough for everyone during this time.
    [​IMG]

Interesting that a school bell was bought in St Louis and then had to be shipped via three rivers and a wagon to get here.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This town sort of dwindled away over the years. At one time they had a short lived lead mining boom. The turning point seemed to be WWII when many residents moved away to get defense jobs or joined the military and never returned. The last store died off in 1978.
    [​IMG]

At a house just outside town there was a big shootout in 1983. Gordon Kahl was a Posse Comitatus member and tax protester that had already been involved in a shootout in North Dakota where he and his son were sporting mini-14s when they got into it with Marshals and other cops. They left two US Marshals dead, and three other cops injured. Only one cop in the group escaped injury. Kahl went on the run.

[​IMG]

Kahl was spotted near here and the cops went to arrest him. The Sheriff and an FBI agent entered the home where Kahl had been hiding. Kahl jumped out from behind a refrigerator with a rifle and he and the Sheriff fired simultaneously hitting each other. The Sheriff shot Kahl in the head with a .41 magnum. In the mean time a couple of FBI agents pumped some buckshot into the house and accidentally hit the Sheriff in the torso (the Sheriff already had Kahl's bullet near his heart). After the Sheriff stumbled out of the house, the SWAT team (not knowing Kahl was dead) opened up and fired thousands of rounds at the house. They poured diesel fuel down the chimney and set the house on fire. Kahl's burned body was found the next day. The Sheriff made it to the hospital but died on the operating table as a result of Kahl's mini-14 bullet.

[​IMG]

The cops and others on the "wrong side of things" may not have been so popular around here at the time.

Kahl had been a decorated turret gunner during WWII. Here is a trailer for a movie about Kahl (starring Rod Steiger) they made back in the day. Kahl is still a hero to many that share his views.

I like to dig out the history along the way. It would be easy for someone to just ride through a dried up old town like this and have no idea about some things that have happened here. :D
    [​IMG]
  2. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, very interesting. I enjoy all the details... Thanks!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  3. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bryan, you need the Discovery networks to give you your own history show shot from a motorcycle seat.
  4. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 2 - Continued

On to Powhatan.

As you can see from the map, we are going to break out of the hills for a bit and head out onto some delta land.
    [​IMG]

You'll pass through a cypress swamp along the way.
    [​IMG]

Looks like the state works to regulate water levels in this wildlife area.
    [​IMG]

This area is low lands that are sometimes underwater.
    [​IMG]

The Black River looks pretty tame right now.
    [​IMG]

The Powhatan Male and Female Academy started up as a school in a log cabin. That burned and this was the replacement. It started up before the civil war and ran until 1955. It did close down during the war for a while though. Classes weren't co-ed until 1913. With two doors, one is for males and one is for females. They each had their own classroom separated by a sliding wall. I think the place could handle 92 students. Over time, females made up more than 60% of the attendees.
    [​IMG]

Back when this was the county seat, they built this fine courthouse. Powhatan was a big time river port. After the railroad by-passed the town, the county seat moved to Walnut Ridge.
    [​IMG]

You can appreciate how elegant the courthouse was at the time it was built. Look at how undeveloped the town is.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Black River. Looks like a bridge used to be here.
    [​IMG]

River commerce was pretty important.
    [​IMG]

Powhatan Historic Park has some interesting exhibits from the past.

This building was built only a few years after the telephone was invented. It hosted the telephone exchange.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SmilinJoe and dave6253 like this.
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Glad you enjoy that aspect of the report!

I do like standing on the ground looking around while knowing some of the things that happened there in the past. Kind of interesting to take it all in. :D
    BackRoadNomad and Bultaco206 like this.
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 2 - Continued

On to Walnut Ridge

More delta land.
    [​IMG]

Railroad station on a main line. The railroad is what made Walnut Ridge.
    [​IMG]

They still have Amtrak service.
    [​IMG]

Remember Highway 67 - the Rock & Roll Highway? Cavenaugh Park Guitar Walk.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Juke a button and you'll hear ole Jerry Lee a sangin' through the speaker.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Why a Beatles exhibit in Walnut Ridge?
    [​IMG]

This picture needs an adventure rider added to the line-up. Couldn't pull it off by myself.
    [​IMG]

Turns out the Beatles came through town during their concert tour in 1964. They didn't come to play. Some guy that ran a charter airline wanted to take the boys to his ranch in Missouri to unwind a bit. The closest airport that could handle one of his big planes was here in Walnut Ridge since it had a big leftover WWII runway from a training facility. A big plane coming in late at night drew some attention. Some curious boys went over there to see what was going on and ran into the Beatles. At first, people doubted the boys. By the end of the weekend, the town was crowding the airport to get a glimpse of the Beatles when they came back through. Heck, people even mobbed a crop duster thinking it was a small plane bringing the Beatles back to the airport. Little did people know that Paul and George had already arrived at the airport and were watching the spectacle from an old truck parked on the other side of the runway. Those two came back by ground from the ranch in Missouri because they didn't like small planes. John and Ringo came in by small plane. The two walked through a polite but excited crowd to board the airliner. The truck delivered the other two plane side. This was all a big deal to the town since it happened at the height of the Beatles' popularity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Required artillery picture for the report. :evil
    [​IMG]

You'll be passing some rice fields in this area. Sometimes you will see small contoured dikes plowed up in otherwise nearly flat fields to allow for the significant irrigation that rice requires. Arkansas is the largest rice producer in the US with about 45% of our production. It is a big part of the Arkansas economy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I should tell you a little more about that Walnut Ridge airport that the Beatles landed at. When WWII broke out, the US slapped in a bunch of airports in this area to train military pilots. They took suitable farmland and built bases and auxiliary fields.
    [​IMG]

The base at Walnut ridge was initially intended for Army aviators but I think they trained Marines here for a while. Over 4,600 military pilots graduated from this one base alone. Forty-two students and instructors died in training here. Pretty substantial facility for being built in no time at all. It is amazing what this country can do when they have to.
    [​IMG]

As the war ended, and jet aircraft were coming into being, we needed to dispose of a lot of surplus military planes. Six sites were selected to store and sell these planes and Walnut Ridge was one of them. Ten to eleven thousand planes were flown here for storage and disposal in 1945 and 1946. As many as 250 planes came in each day.
    [​IMG]

In 1946, a railway company bought close to 5,000 planes from this site to scrap them out. I think they got them for about $1.8M which is an average of $360 each. Two giant smelters were established so that the aluminum could be shipped out in ingots. It took about two years to scrap all the planes here.
    [​IMG]
    KiloGraham, SmilinJoe, zoid and 5 others like this.
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 2 - Continued

Heading down to Newport.
    [​IMG]

Back in the 1960s four agencies came together to build this lake to help control flooding and to preserve water for wildlife and the like.
    [​IMG]

Now it is Lake Charles State Park.
    [​IMG]

Not much hydro power in this area I guess.
    [​IMG]

Crossing the Black River. The Black River joins the White River just downstream.
    [​IMG]

Levee country.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jacksonport was a confederate supply center during the war. The union took it over. One day a steamboat showed up and started lobbing shells in (naval gun fire) trying to destroy union supplies here. I don't think it was effective enough for anyone to really care.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice courthouse here.
    [​IMG]

Heavy pump on the dry side of the levee.
    [​IMG]

During WWII they slapped a pilot training base into Newport as well. This thing doubled the population around here in no time. There were seven of these in Arkansas.
    [​IMG]

155 WAACs (women) were assigned here. There was also a significant support staff of African Americans that had segregated housing, recreation, and religious facilities. They trained over 4,000 military pilots and suffered about 28 deaths. They installed a German POW camp on the base. Prisoners were paid for their jobs which involved clearing land and harvesting crops.

It is still an airport but much of the runways and ramps are no longer in use. I think they had a drag strip on one of the runways for a while.
    [​IMG]

There is a university campus on the old base.
    [​IMG]

The only thing I saw that looked original might have been these "temporary" houses in the old housing area.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 2 - Continued

Finishing up the day in Newport.

The circus came to town. I saw a camel dragging something around.
    [​IMG]

Sammy "Walmart" Walton did some time here. I think some of his kids were born here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Actress Mary Steenburgen (Cross Creek) is from here.
    [​IMG]

Having that base here sure did a lot for this town back then. Over the years this was a cotton and timber town. They also had a big freshwater pearl market with some of their pink pearls selling for $20K. There was a factory here that could process 76,000 pounds of shells per day as part of the pearl button industry. This required 1,000 shell fishers on the Black and White Rivers to supply the factory. Plastic buttons took out that industry. In 1951 this is how Newport stacked up:
    -One of the wealthiest counties in the US.
    -10th in cotton production.
    - 8th in rice production.
    -11th in soybeans.
    -110th in strawberries.
    -42d in local volume of timber.
    Things are not what they were. Now a couple of prisons are big employers here.
    [​IMG]

The Hwy 67 Rock & Roll Museum is here.
    [​IMG]

The town has been clobbered by flooding in its history. They started with substantial levees back in the early 1900s.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just so ya know, there is a monster in the White River. Some call it the "White River Monster" or "Whitey". This monster may have influenced the civil war stuff around here by overturning boats. I didn't go looking for it.
    [​IMG]

Looks like Newport is getting a new bridge across the White River.
    [​IMG]

Here are my stats for the day. I planned to proof ride this thing pretty quickly with an average of 270 miles per day. When riding solo, the miles fly by for a lot of riders. Since I had nothing else to do but validate this track, I just kept riding until it started to get dark. Your preferences will vary I'm sure. The average speeds should be relevant apart from overall distance.
    [​IMG]

End of day 2. Motel in Newport.
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 3

Today we plunge back into the rugged back country. But first, an early morning road ride over to Greer's Ferry to check out some things.
    [​IMG]

At first I thought Oil Trough had something to do with petroleum. It turns out the place was lousy with bears. When settlers rendered the bear fat they saved it in hollowed out log troughs - hence the name.
    [​IMG]

The White River looks good this morning.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A forest products operation along the way.
    [​IMG]

The Batesville Motor Speedway is along the route.
    [​IMG]

Off the delta and into the hills again.
    [​IMG]

When they put in these big dams, they like to put in a fish hatchery as well. The hatchery can draw cold water from deep in the reservoir, aerate it, and then use it for producing fish.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Water in the river below the dam.
    [​IMG]

There is a park here. When the dam was dedicated back in 1963, JFK spoke here. This was his last major public appearance before he was killed in Dallas.
    [​IMG]

Nice camping along the river - if you don't mind sleeping below a big dam.
    [​IMG]

I think this dam took about three years or so to build at what today seems like a bargain price of $46.5M. When they announced the project, people started showing up looking for work. There wasn't much development here. Some workers built their own houses along the shore of what would be the lake. Business people saw a market and started putting in businesses that would sell to the workers. In the long term, this dam is a huge economic benefit to Arkansas. Let's not forget flood control and hydroelectric power.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dam is 243 feet high and 1,704 feet long.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice visitor center at the dam.
    [​IMG]

There were historic flooding problems in the area. Impoundments like this help to minimize that.
    [​IMG]

Looking at this area makes me think they should have followed through with the project near Sullivan, MO.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This business started very small making scented items. Now they are big time and employ a bunch of people around here. Aeromatique.
    [​IMG]

There is a mortuary museum in town. When I stopped by the place looked pretty dead. It didn't seem like anyone was dying to get in there.
    [​IMG]

Bridal Veil Falls. Make the stop. A very short walk to an observation platform. It is a long drop to the bottom.
    [​IMG]

Heading around to a bridge across a narrows in the reservoir.
    [​IMG]

Quite a concentration of marina spaces.
    [​IMG]

This is the secret entrance to an incredible cabin experience. The guy that put this together is some kind of nationally known archer. He built custom cabins into some unique features on his property. Browse through his website. There are some good looking cabins.
    [​IMG]

Not nice enough for you? Trek over to the Beckham Creek Cave House instead. $1,600 a night. The backstory is that some rich guy was convinced the world was going to go to hell in the year 2,000. He built a home in this cave so that he and his wife could survive it. When things didn't go to heck for a few years after, his wife wanted him to sell the place. I don't know who has it, but they made it a business. It is not too far off of one of my tracks, but I figured I could only make it as far as the Buddhist retreat that is just down the road before I would be blocked by private property so I skipped it. The waypoints are in the GPX though.
  11. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    I agree! In another report I wrote that some network should create a series based on some of the Epic Ride Reports.
    Cannonshot and Bultaco206 like this.
  12. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    "Pretty substantial facility for being built in no time at all. It is amazing what this country can do when they have to."

Have you read FREEDOMS FORGE by Arthur Herman? It's tells the story of WWII with full documentation. I always meant to ask if you had.

Cannonshot likes this.
  13. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 3 - Continued

A run up to Fifty-Six and the White River.
    [​IMG]

This goat guard is on the job. Looks like a Samoyed which is a reindeer herder. Saw lots of goat herds on this trip.
    [​IMG]

This road looks pretty smooth.
    [​IMG]

Some people are wondering what kind of miles and time you can make on this trip. Sharing my daily stats will help with this. Let me say that a moving average in the 30s is not uncommon. You can only go so fast. Adventure bike weight, momentum, contact patches, loose stones/gravel, and off-camber turns for drainage limit how fast you can ride. That and the lack of adequate sight lines on the corners. You may be a great rider on a big bike, but physics are physics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to get out and walk this one. By walking the edges I avoided overtopping my waterproof boots. Of course, once I started to ride it water jetted up my pants leg and into my boots anyway. Deep water plows hard.
    [​IMG]

The idea here was to go fast enough to make it through the soft gravel without spinning in a wheel and getting stuck, then clearing what looked like slick stuff, then getting through that final deep spot that had a faster current that pushed at the bike from the side.
    [​IMG]

After I rode across, I reached up to turn off my helmet cam and realized I forgot to engage it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A lot of these rivers have big banks of rocks shaped into "rockbars" by the current. The number of rocks in these rivers is not as natural as you might think. When the slopes along the rivers were logged into clear cut, erosion was able to fast track the denuded slopes and dump a lot of rocks into the rivers in a relatively short period of time. Sharper edges would probably mean the rocks have not been in the river nearly as long as the common round stones.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

SmilinJoe, CHIMZ, Max Wedge and 2 others like this.
  14. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Fifty-Six got named after the school district number after another more common name was turned down.
    [​IMG]

The store is the place to be for a sandwich and gas.
    [​IMG]

It is a good place to set a spell around the stove - even when there is no fire it in.
    [​IMG]

There is a notable hat company nearby. You want want to swing by and get fitted for some custom job.

Blanchard Springs was temporarily closed.
    [​IMG]

Another one of those great pavement rides.
    [​IMG]

There are a lot of horseback riders in the region. The trails, and even the forest roads, make for some fabulous riding. You will likely meet up with some riders in your travels. It is important to know the proper etiquette. I always watch the horses and riders for cues. The best thing to do is just stop, shut off your bike, pull your helmet off and talk so that the horses recognize you as a person. Let them pass on their terms and then move on. Horses vary in their ability to deal with encounters like this on the trail. Play it conservatively. By the way, statistically, horseback riding is more dangerous than off-highway motorcycling. I suppose that is because the horse has a vote in what happens.
    [​IMG]

I've eaten at this restaurant along the White River a couple of times. Great catfish.
    [​IMG]

These cabins on stilts are new since I was there last.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think one of those skirmishes was fought right down there.
    [​IMG]

A while back some of the moderators here got together at this location to relax and enjoy some fellowship.
    [​IMG]

Nice place in a nice area.
    [​IMG]

Some of us stayed in this house along the river. Fun times.
    [​IMG]
  15. akaDigger

akaDigger Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I always enjoy your reports. This trip is close to home. I pulled in to Jack's at dusk last fall while on a cross country trip. I rode Rt 9 from Mammoth Springs to Petit Jean Mtn.

If you would, please, show me your point and shoot again. Knowing that I had seen it before, I recently combed through some of your older RRs looking for that information but came up empty.
    Cannonshot and grindstone like this.
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Sounds like you had a nice ride there.

Here is the deal on cameras - for me anyway. I used to carry a point and shoot and a Nikon DSLR with an 18-300 lens on it. If the point of my trip was to concentrate on photography I would still take the DSLR. Experience has proven that I can get good enough pix with the point and shoot. I don't spend much time tidying pix up afterward anyway. I'm just trying to tell a story (which the pix contribute to) without working too hard on optimizing photography.

I have used a number of point and shoots over the years. The common factor is that the camera is waterproof. The features are largely the same. Some have battery eating GPS, some have a lot of settings that make things easy, or other features like Wi-Fi, etc. I can get video if I need to using the point and shoot. There can be a lot of pixels available in the pix depending on how you set it up. The only thing the point and shoot lacks for my routine use is a serious zoom.

I also have a Contour helmet cam so if I wanted to try and catch a bear crossing the road I would probably just flip that on since it is the quickest to access.

This time I used a TG-860. I keep it on a Gearkeeper lanyard. When I ride my KTM I store it in a partially open riding vest pocket so I can get it out quickly with one hand. When I ride the big bike, I store it in a partially open chest pocket on my coat. The lanyard allows me to drop the camera if I have to grab the bars with two hands.
    [​IMG]

These things take a big enough SD card that you will easily make a trip on a single card. I bought a bunch of batteries to take on trips. Rather than screw around trying to recharge stuff in a bouncing tank bag, just bring along 10-15 batteries that will last the entire trip and then some. Good enough batteries are pretty cheap. I still carry a charger and charge batteries at motel stops if I want to.
    [​IMG]

This thing also has a flip up screen and a selfie button on the front. I'm not a selfie shooter but I have used the feature to take over the shoulder shots of people behind me on group rides. One problem is that while wearing gloves and pulling that thing out of your pocket, you can slightly offset the settings wheel on the back. I recommend taking a piece of tape and locking that wheel into position. Thick gloves make it harder to hit the power button on the top. (Note the lack of focus on this picture. I told you I wasn't too serious about it. :D)
    [​IMG]

With some practice you can draw, arm, and fire this thing with one gloved hand. MANY of my shots are taken on the fly. After a while you just get a sense for how the camera is aimed. You can zoom it with one gloved hand as well when you want to tighten up a shot.

I would suggest that people deal with a primary point and shoot and maybe pack a back-up equivalent in case something happens. It would be good if they used the same batteries.

The retractable lanyard is priceless.
  17. motogearhead

motogearhead Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another outstanding ride report...really enjoying it, Thanks!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  18. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks to Brian giving me a early version gps file of this ride I am in Potosi Missouri now and will start riding the OZAT tomorrow morning.
    Thanks so much Brian.
    Will be riding solo on my 690.
    Awesome!!!!g
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Have a great ride Mark! Check in with us along the way. We'd like to hear about some of your experiences. Hope you have great weather.
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 3 - Continued

On to Kenda.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one fooled me as it was a little deeper than I thought.
    [​IMG]

For those that aren't familiar with logging operations, I'll share some information about this. When you run into an operator loading a truck, just stop and wait until the operator sees you and signals you to pass. These guys are in their own zone as they are doing this work and likely won't see you for a while. The way they are swinging things around can be pretty dangerous because their moves can be quick and unpredictable. Don't try to shoot past. Be patient. Once he sees you he'll "shut down" for a bit and signal you to pass.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This section of road isn't too bad, but some sections will shake some of the stuff on your bike like a paint shaker. Pre-ride prep to loctite what you need to and to "tie down" anything that might shake loose. You get rattled around quite a bit of the time.
    [​IMG]

I surprised these riders as I crested a hill on a lonely forest road. Initially a couple of the horses were pretty skittish. I quickly stopped, shut down the bike, pulled off my helmet and spoke. The riders of the nervous horses were able to get them back in first gear and moving forward again. They thanked me for shutting down. Nice folks enjoying a nice ride - just like I was.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This turned out to be a longer crossing than I expected.

[​IMG]

Local forest products operation.
    [​IMG]

Kenda still has a drive-in theater. They even have the old style speakers available that you can plug into a post instead of getting audio via your car radio.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I left a CannonCard but I doubt anyone will find it. :evil
    [​IMG]