1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

CannonRide - Ozark Adventure Tour (OZAT) (MO/AR)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Day 6 Continued

Heading north toward Ozark.

[​IMG]

Remember that poultry was the big ag product in Arkansas? Tyson plant in Waldron.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Never saw a set-up like this involving Walgreens.
    [​IMG]

Car dealer to school district. Interesting repurposing of a building.
    [​IMG]

Rugged bike selling a rugged truck?
    [​IMG]

They promote their downtown as being remarkable.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This monk was working on their truck at a local small farm. Unusual perhaps?
    [​IMG]

Dale Bumpers Research Center

[​IMG]

They do some research here for small farms.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just up the road near Booneville is a state sanatorium site.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was built in the early 1900s as a tuberculosis sanatorium complex. It got out of the TB business in 1973.
    [​IMG]

At one time the population of this largely self-contained complex was larger than nearby Booneville.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This place treated over 70,000 patients.
    [​IMG]

Nearby Booneville had a meat plant explosion a while back. The plant used to be on the right side of this picture. The parking lot is still there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I couldn't find the connection between Garth Brooks and Caulksville.
    [​IMG]

Old gas station on one corner.
    [​IMG]

Replacement on the other. I like the old one better.
    [​IMG]

Routine inspection of the bike at the Ozark gas stop. The rear tire was new when I started. Looks like all those rocks were hard on it.
    [​IMG]

At first glance I thought "cracked rim" - especially after all those rocks. It wasn't, just some goop.
    [​IMG]

Bent rear bracket on my bash plate would scrape against the side stand when I wanted to put it up or down. It is quite a project to bend that bracket back into pace so it must have been a hard hit. With all the rocks, best to have a sturdy bash plate on this path.
    [​IMG]

Still heading north . . .
  2. Max Wedge

Max Wedge ADVenture mowing

Oddometer:
    I find old TB sanitariums fascinating.
    Surprised they didn't rebuild the meat packing plant. Who knew they could blow up. Must have smelled like a BBQ.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  3. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    It sure can be "exciting" to start up a rugged path you know very little about on a big and heavy motorcycle. The challenges can appear without much time to think about them. Maybe not having time to think is a good thing. :D

Indeed. It must be fun though or we wouldn't do it. :D

I hope more people will make it a point to experience it if they haven't already. :thumb
  4. abramsgunner

abramsgunner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, you're making me all homesick.... I did my undergrad at ATU in Russellville. Only lived there for about 4.5 years, but I spent all my spare time mountain biking and kayaking those woods (entered a couple of MTB races at the Devil's Den, and one at Moccassin Gap Horse Trails). Great people, great terrain, great weather (4 real seasons)... Haven't been back since 1995. Might just be time for a road trip :beer

PS: Saw your post on the Albert Pike flood.. In the Spring of '95, about 20 of us from the Life Sciences program (including some of our profs) went up and paddled the Buffalo River. It rained all night the day before and the river came up at least 10 feet. We paddled anyway cuz we were young and stupid... There were dozens and dozens of folks who were camping on the river that night. I don't remember anyone being hurt but we were pulling flooded tents, coolers, canoes and stranded people off the river all day and into the night!
    Max Wedge and Cannonshot like this.
  5. Theroadwarrior1

Theroadwarrior1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent ride report. I am looking forward to exploring many of these areas again.

Currently the Rivers here are rising with us supposed to get 7-9" of rain the next two-three days. The upper and lower buffalo areas are great areas to ride, I am currently waiting for the rivers to drop so I can go floating .
    We are pretty lucky here with the type and quality of our roads. I'm ready to tear up NW Arkansas soon and then the lower buffalo with push mountain road. Keep riding and be safe! watch for the rivers rise
    Cannonshot likes this.
  6. 12ride

12ride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was on Push Mt. last week - thought we had died and gone to heaven - new hot deck pavement starting at Lone Rock - but it ran out at Sneed Creek - about 6 miles but it sure was fun. The rest of the way to Hwy. 14 was in good shape so we still had a great ride. What a great ride this would be if it was hot decked all the way.
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I'm glad this is bringing back all those pleasant memories for you!

Thanks! I've been watching the storms lately . . . wow!

Hard to imagine!
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 6 Continued - Ozark to War Eagle Mill

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Being behind cars or trucks can be a frustrating waste of some good road.
    [​IMG]

Some folks pull over and let motorcycles pass.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Huntsville produced Ronnie Hawkins. The Band (as in The Last Waltz) spawned from Ronnie Hawkin's group. Levon Helm (drummer) is from Arkansas as well. I think the others were Canadians.
    [​IMG]

It is worth it to take a lap around the downtown.
    [​IMG]

Veterans' Memorial
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There used to be a ford here. In 1907 an Illinois outfit dropped this steel bridge in for less than $5K.
    [​IMG]

This is the third mill to be on this site.
    [​IMG]

This is the only working watermill in Arkansas.
    [​IMG]

It has an 18 foot cypress waterwheel.
    [​IMG]

I think they produce organic products now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    TonyKZ1, Shaggie, Max Wedge and 2 others like this.
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 6 Continued

Bentonville and Pea Ridge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Daisy Airgun Museum. I think that these BB guns are now being manufactured in a facility that involves a large cave.
    [​IMG]

When I'm in the south I sometimes stop at the Waffle Hut.
    [​IMG]

Speaking of the Waffle Hut, this video of a Waffle Hut experience contains some profanity so you may not choose to play it - especially if you are at work.
    :D

Walmart has their headquarters in Bentonville. This means that many other companies that sell stuff to Walmart are set up here as well.
    [​IMG]

I think there are about 15 or 20 buildings in their headquarters complex.
    [​IMG]

Looks like a new parking garage.
    [​IMG]

For some reason I expected more . . .
    [​IMG]

Jimmy Walton, the 10th richest person in the world, lives in Bentonville.
    [​IMG]

I had no idea.
    [​IMG]

Female aviation pioneer Iris Louise McPhetridge Thaden is from here. They named the airport after her. I hope they didn't use all those names as it would require oversized tickets to handle it.
    [​IMG]

Actress Karri Turner is also from here. She was in the series JAG. Personally, I would have named the airport after her. :evil
    [​IMG]

Eagle Hotel
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Walmart tourist stuff downtown.
    [​IMG]

The first Walmart. Keep in mind that Sammy had a five and dime down in Newport that we visited earlier.
    [​IMG]

I didn't capture it in the photo, but this scene with the colt lolling comfortably and securely in the shade next to mom was touching.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Speaking of the Battle of Pea Ridge, there is a military park here with interesting exhibits in the field.
    [​IMG]

You can drive around the park to see how things went down.
    [​IMG]

It is kind of fascinating to stand in a spot imagining what took place there during this battle.
    [​IMG]

I stopped near an empty woods and read the description about how there was a city sized element of wounded and sick men encamped there.
    [​IMG]

Too much to explain. Can't cover it all here. Worth a visit if you have the time to read as you visit various sites.
    [​IMG]

This was a significant conflict for a variety of reasons.
    [​IMG]

If you need a new doo rag there is a stop just beyond Pea Ridge.
    [​IMG]
  10. Otis the Sasquatch

Otis the Sasquatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Sir, for this fine tour.

Had to skip Pea Ridge last time through. Didn't have enough time to properly tour the area. I'll be back.
    But I wished I had known about that historic marker.

[​IMG]

There's a very nice statue of him in Forest Park, St. Louis. I grew up about 1/4 mile from it.
    [​IMG]
    [internet pic. better than MY pic of same.]

General Sigel is one of my favorite subjects in this fine book, and an interesting "character".
    [​IMG]

Give it a read. Lots of details of the war, incuding most of the skirmishes mentioned, in many of the places you visited. It's so good, it will make you want to tour eastern Kansas. :lol3

Only downside is, you will wish you had read it beforehand. :D

Thanks again!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I see that Arkansas has some routes and tours laid out for those that want to explore the history of the parts of the War of Northern Aggression that were fought in Arkansas. I didn't take a holistic view of things, but I did enjoy the pieces that I came across along the way. I think that could be an interesting theme for a trip all by itself. :thumb
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 6 - Continued

Heading toward Eureka Springs

[​IMG]

Beaver Lake is another large impoundment.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another big dam. Damn big.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those Tainter Gates are a Wisconsin invention now used all over the world.
    [​IMG]

This dam is for flood control and electricity. The flood control thing can be a little iffy. This picture was taken yesterday as they are preparing for flooding below the dam that could shut down part of their operations. Citizens are pissed and evacuating. Some believe that the Corps should manage flood waters better. With all the downstream variables and repercussions that can be difficult to do. The Corps can't really vary from their flood control plan without a $20M study.
    [​IMG]

There is a big spring and a mill down here. Sadly it has become a commercial operation that I am averse to.
    [​IMG]

"Enter through the Trading Post."
    [​IMG]

If it wasn't for the nice ride down there and back, I would have yanked it from the track. However, some people may want to see it so I left it on.
    [​IMG]

It also takes you past Inspiration Point which is worth a look.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Arriving at the small town of Beaver.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm betting the water is pretty high here right now.
    [​IMG]

This bridge is the "Little Golden Gate of Arkansas".
    [​IMG]

Not a lot of capacity to this bridge.
    [​IMG]

Rogue's Manor Castle
    [​IMG]

This railroad bridge was used in the filming of The Blue & the Grey television mini-series. They also used the nearby railroad at Eureka Springs.
    [​IMG]

I hope they used the good half.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice riding again for a while.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you get closer the Eureka Springs the usual tourist stuff starts to appear.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    N-Id-Jim, TonyKZ1, Shaggie and 3 others like this.
  13. wamey

wamey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Amazing looking ride! Will definitely be following all of your ride reports in the future!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  14. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 6 - Continued

Eureka Springs
    [​IMG]

Tourist railway.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This Catholic church is notable for its design. You enter from above.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This place is supposed to be haunted.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think they have haunted overnight tours.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a small town noted for its Victorian style set-up. The whole place is a National Historic District. Each building has a story and there is more to cover than I would want to here.
    [​IMG]

A good thing to do is just drive around the narrow and winding hillside streets to see what there is around the neighborhood.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

John Chisum, a big-time cattle baron, died here.
    [​IMG]

Carry Nation was a temperance advocate that used to chop up places that sold booze. Her last speech was in Eureka Springs. Carry grew up in Kentucky under the care of her father's slaves. She wasn't allowed to eat at the same table with her parents for many years because her mother believed that Carry being with the slaves was the best way to bring her up. Carry married an alcoholic doctor who died of his disease. During her last speech she stopped and gasped "I've done what I could", lapsed into coma, and died a few months later. Perhaps a shot of medicinal brandy would have been in order. Her home here has been converted to a museum named "Hatchet Hall".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Somebody here rides.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    TonyKZ1, Shaggie, Davidprej and 3 others like this.
  15. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 6 - Continued

Eureka Springs to Berryville
    [​IMG]

The Great Passion Play is a large religion based performance venue.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A hunk of the Berlin Wall.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turkey farm.
    [​IMG]

Berryville has a museum with guns used by outlaws like Billy the Kid and Pancho Villa. Nighthawk Custom (guns) is here. Wilson Combat (guns) is also in the area. The International Defensive Pistol Association is also here.
    [​IMG]

This town burned a few times during the Civil War.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Memory Lane is an interesting stop just outside town.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another Tyson poultry plant.
    [​IMG]

Another old gas station.
    [​IMG]
    TonyKZ1, Shaggie, Davidprej and 3 others like this.
  16. mitchbob

mitchbob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool, this one is in my backyard. Southern Mo and northern Arkansas are beautiful, several grass airstrips I have landed, nice country. Stayed in Eureka Springs a few times fun little town
    Cannonshot likes this.
  17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 6 - Continued

Heading up to Branson and the end of Day 6

[​IMG]

Another cavern along the way.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cutting across the reservoir.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The College of the Ozarks is also known at "Hard Work U".
    [​IMG]

They charge no tuition for full-time students. Students must work an on-campus job 15 hours per week and work two additional 40 hour weeks during breaks. There is a summer work program to cover room and board.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Table Rock Lake is behind this dam. The White River below the dam is Lake Taneycomo.
    [​IMG]

Overlooking part of Branson.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Visitor center at the dam.
    [​IMG]

Federal fish hatchery below the dam.
    [​IMG]

As I write this today, all of the tainter gates on the dam are open and downtown Branson has some flooding. There was a report from the dam on The Weather Channel this morning. More Branson flooding info.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Branson is a tourist town with more than 80 live show venues, other attractions, and 16,500 hotel rooms for tourists. There are almost 9 million visitors each year. Pretty big strain on the infrastructure of a town of about 10,000 residents.

[​IMG]

The Baldknobbers started a live music show here back in 1959 - the same year the dam was completed.

[​IMG]

Presley's Country Jubilee (now a TV show as well) was the first to move their show to the current strip back in 1967.

[​IMG]

Paul Henning put together The Beverly Hillbillies show based on his experience in this area at a Boy Scout camp. Five episodes in season 8 were shot in the Branson area with the storyline that the Clampetts returned to their home. The Clampetts' truck was donated to the College of the Ozarks where it is on display in their museum.

[​IMG]

I see Billy Dean on the marquee in the previous picture. I think this was the off season here. The motel I stayed at was $50 and had only seasonally reopened a week earlier. Who is Billy Dean?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

End of Day 6. More on Branson as I start out the next morning.
    [​IMG]
  18. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 7 - Branson area.
    [​IMG]

I understand that the strip is a constant traffic jam during the peak season.
    [​IMG]

I think the place may have too many theaters causing saturation. Lots of half price ticket offers.
    [​IMG]

First music act to move to the strip years ago. Now a TV show on RFD TV.
    [​IMG]

First music act here going back to 1959. Second outfit to move to the strip a year after Presley's.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some fancy traffic circle and forked bridge arrangement they are proud of.
    [​IMG]

Balloon ride.
    [​IMG]

They might have to float this thing as the water is coming up on it right now.
    [​IMG]

Excursion train.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back across the White River/Lake Taneycomo.
    [​IMG]

The Branson Airport is privately owned and developed. Some outfit put together $155M to get it built. Before that they shared an airport with Springfield 50 miles away. The airport opened in 2009. It now has regular commercial service. The airport also protects the airlines from others trying to undercut their operation. The goal is to have stable and reliable commercial service. It has a 7,000+ foot runway. To build this thing they had to flatten some mountain tops. It was the largest earth moving operation in the history of Missouri.
    [​IMG]

Back across the river/lake.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd bet this campground is under water right now.
    [​IMG]

This place must have been something special back in the day.
    [​IMG]

The movie Winter's Bone was filmed just up the road near Taneyville. It involves clans in the Missouri Ozarks.
    [​IMG]

Jennifer Lawrence starred in this film. It was her breakout role. She was paid $3K per week so she scored about $15K for this movie. I think she gets $10M or so for a starring role now.
    [​IMG]

If you haven't seen it, you might want to give it a look. You can watch the whole thing on Youtube.

Heading toward the Mark Twain National Forest. This campground is probably under as well.
    [​IMG]

Nice riding.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    TonyKZ1, Shaggie and Max Wedge like this.
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Glad you are enjoying it.

I'm glad this is bringing back pleasant memories for you.
    wamey likes this.
  20. Midnightventure

Midnightventure -

Oddometer:
    Kind of nice to see a good report on a lot of area that I have ridden. When you were at Eminence Mo one of the biggest waterfalls in MO is just east of there.
    TonyKZ1 and Cannonshot like this.