1. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Garmin says it's GPS and GLONASS capable. I'm curious about why Cabela's has them marked down so far...some kind of odd run of the unit? Now if I can figure out Basecamp, I'll be all set. Basecamp seems so user-unfriendly compared to Mapsource.
    vwboomer likes this.
  2. Klay

Oddometer:
    Google says BFI is the British Film Institute.
  3. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm so gps illiterate I don't know if you guys are straightening out anothers concerns or screwing with them??? #confusedinoakcreek
  4. Klay

Oddometer:
    Garmin wants to keep us all GPS illiterate, or at least it seems that way with the way they design their software. The last time I tried a map upgrade they only had software compatible with internet explorer. I don't know how they stay in business with so many people switching to using their own cell phone apps.

I'm on the fence with the 64st...almost going to pop for it, but no Canada maps trips me up.
  5. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Every time there is a new model, they discount the old models big time. I'd look at the 610 t. I still do most of my work on MapSource except when I need a couple of advanced features from BaseCamp. You can get a complete MapSource download off the web.

So getting $100 worth of topo maps built into either of those highly discounted units isn't enough for you? With the moolah you save, buy a Topo Canadia card or DVD. Some used ones on ebay. Or buy one from a Canadian store and get Topo Canadia built in (which leaves you with another problem to solve). :D
  6. Klay

Oddometer:
    I'm starting to have trouble with Mapsource...it'll load on one of my Windows 10 machines and not the other. Eventually I think it's going to stop working and I'll be forced to figure out Basecamp. Not looking forward to it. Ah, hell maybe I'll just stop going places and the issue goes away....
  7. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    I switched from Mapsource to base camp about a year ago. Base camp is not intuitive but if you stick with it, it works well. Step 1 is to create a list and then add some points. Then connect t your points. The. You can drag and shape your route.

There are a lot of sources for gpx files you can import and modify, or just use outright.

There are a few tutorials out there also.
  8. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    I"m surprised that basecamp is still their main program, given the general disdain for it. They make the gps's idiot proof, but the program to use them not so much.
    Klay likes this.
  9. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're planning mostly on-road use Google MyMaps, export a KML and then import that into basecamp for loading onto GPS. Google Earth works well for off-road and the process is the same but it isn't nearly as easy as MyMaps to create the original route.
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    TheBigH, sieg and LumpyOne like this.
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I just purchased my MI ORV stickers that will expire in March 2020. They just became available. https://www.mdnr-elicense.com/Welcome/Default.aspx I like to get the durable pre-printed stickers via mail instead of the less durable stickers sold at vendors. Keep in mind that you will want to buy two stickers for each conveyance: ORV ($26.25) and ORV Trails ($10) for a total of $36.25 for each machine. Want to now why? Read some previous discussion.

Also keep in mind that a WI OHM sticker is required for motorcycles to ride on any public designated trail in WI. If you are a non-resident, for the time being you are allowed to purchase a resident OHM sticker (which is a good deal since it gives you two years instead of one).
    bomber60015 likes this.
  13. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    OK, now we can get started on a few things.

[​IMG]
    TimCC, reveille, bomber60015 and 2 others like this.
  14. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    License required? Are kids not allowed on ORV trails in Michigan? I have twin 9yo granddaughters who ride CRF110s F414F796-3780-4214-AE4C-F9E49410975B.jpeg
  15. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Hurtfield-McCoy 2019

Went on a group get-together and ride in West Virginia with 9 other riders. Good folks. Good times.

Wonderful to get back to riding again after the long winter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Exploring a mine adit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Contour trails are pretty narrow. Sometimes have to squeeze past oncoming traffic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rudy, TimCC, Lutz and 4 others like this.
  17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    @Gerken was on a downhill contour trail in a sharp hairpin switchback when his wheel took a bad bounce after a rock strike which sent him over the side.

[​IMG]

I think we was able to catch a tree to stop the downhill plunge. No damage and no injuries.

[​IMG]

We rigged two tow straps and sent three riders over the side to try to keep the bike on its wheels so we could roll it uphill. Three others pulled on the straps from above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The steepness made it tough for the downhill crew to get much purchase with their feet.

[​IMG]

After making sure we wouldn't lose the bike, I dropped the strap to take a few pix. I think we needed a break just then anyway.

[​IMG]

We were saying how nice it would be to have a winch. Sure enough, right after we got the bike up onto the trail a UTV with a winch showed up. The driver said he saw us from across the mountain and figured we needed his winch. Too late by then but thanks anyway.

[​IMG]

Lunch in Matewan. Matewan was the scene of a shoot out during the coal wars of 1920-21. Still some bullet holes to see. Coal companies wanted to put machine guns on the roof of a couple of buildings to control the striking miners.

[​IMG]

Mexican restaurant. The food was really good. Not sure if that was because we had been on the trail or if it was that exceptional.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Large loose rock can be a problem when trying to climb steep grades. A bad bounce can crash you or at least shut you down in an inconvenient place. As always, steeper than it looks.

[​IMG]

On day 1 I took a bad bounce on a steep and rocky black trail. It turned me sideways and slammed me into the rocks. I injured a leg that kept me from standing on the pegs for the rest of the trip. Pretty interesting trying to ride the sharp water bars, hill climbs, and other rugged trail features while planted on the seat. Still a great time though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My drive side wheel bearing disintegrated while out in the boonies. Aaron Pfaff ran a rescue mission back to base camp to get me a spare wheel. I couldn't believe how quickly he got back with it. We got the bike fixed and I rode the broken wheel back to camp strapped to my back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice how Benron (and others) are always there to help with a repair. Good guys.

[​IMG]

Remember, sprocket side out when you pack a wheel out on your back. Just sayin'. Aaron rode it in while balancing it under his chin!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    TimCC, Lutz, djroszina and 2 others like this.
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    OHM trail with some steep rock climbs and steps. Nice views.

[​IMG]

It can be interesting to try to pick a line when you have to have so much speed on the approach. Sorting steps at a glance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lutz and djroszina like this.
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    BBQ lunch near Gilbert. Great desserts as well.

[​IMG]

Cool and breezy but a warm sun.

[​IMG]

Someone spotted a bus while we were at a rest stop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luckily the ignition key wasn't in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

State Wood Ticks on patrol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A great time with a group of ten. Don't know if they all have screen names so I'll leave it at that. Talented group of riders. Good folks. Fun time. Wonderful to be riding after the long winter.
    c-zulu, Rudy, TimCC and 11 others like this.