CannonTour - The Armies of Summer (Wildland Firefighting) Pt 1/3

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Jul 21, 2019.

1. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You certainly did not disappoint with this one. I learned a lot and you identified a lot of places for all of us to visit in the future. And for that we all thank you!
    bomose and Cannonshot like this.
  2. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the time and effort you put in to these reports. They are always some of my favorites and give us insights into the history and beauty of this country.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  3. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    A 'theme' sets a ride report apart. So much to learn, so much to ponder. Very well done, sir! Respect and gratitude to firefighters!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  4. 2TrakR

2TrakR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most excellent, thank you for taking so much time to enlighten us.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  5. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your trip and all of the information.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  6. Kaiser67

Kaiser67 n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks like an awesome ride!
    I appreciate your descriptions and stories on things I never would have seen or known otherwise. I learned a lot about a lot from your ride!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  7. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Much appreciated Brian

A stellar report. :thumb

Shane
    Cannonshot likes this.
  8. boristhebold

boristhebold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brilliant trip report. I've learned so much from reading it. Many thanks for the huge effort that must have gone in to creating it
    Cannonshot likes this.
  9. Cafeguzzi

Cafeguzzi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    terrific RR! i liked the topic, very interesting and affecting lots of people here in the west. something we usually don't think about until it comes really close. like it did several times the last few years here in nor-cal.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  10. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    A gentleman that generously let me use one of his photographs is involved in reporting on things that involve wildfire and wildfire aviation. He came across this report and thought that people in the wildfire community might enjoy reading about the people, places, and things I covered related to wildfire and to general points of interest. He shared a referral and link to this report on Wildfire Today. I hope that provides the opportunity for even more wildfire personnel to see that they are well respected and appreciated by many people for the challenging work they do for us. :thumb
    Shaggie, editor, siyeh and 6 others like this.
  11. editor

editor n00b

Oddometer:
    SIYEH: Right on. The fire meteorologist you mentioned, Chris Cuoco, still lives in Colorado and helped last year with the weather section of another of Maclean's books. This is his most recent work, about the 1955 Rattlesnake Fire on the Mendocino in northern California.
    https://www.amazon.com/River-Fire-Rattlesnake-Mission-Boys/dp/069207998X
    Kelly.
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I waypointed that fire for one of my fire loops but only read the book about two weeks ago. A great story and with the author's insight I'm looking forward to visiting the site and the memorial. Should be interesting to stand there and take it all in.
  13. editor

editor n00b

Oddometer:
    I edited and designed it. And hooked up the photographer (Kari) and author (John) and Don Will the foreword writer and Chris Cuomo the fire weather guy. Maclean first wrote about the Rattlesnake tragedy back in his 2nd book, Fire and Ashes, and I've been bugging him for like 10 years to do the Rattlesnake justice. WEIRDLY ENOUGH, I was in the middle of moving from Oregon down to Willows when Maclean sent me the Rattlesnake story for that early book, and I'd had lunch at Nancy's Airport Café with a boyfriend that same day!! I lived there several years and my neighbor Bill Flanagan is mentioned in both books.

River of Fire truly felt like "our baby" when finally launched; the official release was at the Idaho smokejumpers' reunion last summer, about as appropriate as it gets, I think.
    Cannonshot and siyeh like this.
  14. editor

editor n00b

Oddometer:
    When you get ready to schedule your trip let me know and I'll put you in touch with a hotshot or two who will show you around.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  15. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm looking for helpful connections.
  16. editor

editor n00b

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot likes this.
  17. editor

editor n00b

Oddometer:
    You just know there are dozens of USFS and BLM PAOs out there having hissy fits.
  18. editor

editor n00b

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot likes this.
  19. editor

editor n00b

Oddometer:
    ME TOO ! Dozens of photos and sites I've seen and not seen, with pages of historical gems I'd never heard of. THANK YOU! Amazing travelogue.
    For some fire stories from this area, this Idaho leg of your trip, here's a book by a guy who still lives there.
    https://www.amazon.com/FIRE-CREW-Fireline-Ben-Walters/dp/061555248X/
    He no longer fights fire -- in fact he's a PhD school psychologist -- but his stories are outstanding and real and took place mostly in this part of Idaho. I was reminded of his book when I saw your posts about weight and balance and the helitack crew; this book includes a red bag story that'll crack you up.
    Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 7.14.01 PM.png
    Cannonshot likes this.
  20. AVPU

AVPU Forever Noob Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    editor and Cannonshot like this.